This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Emeril's Smooth Honey Mustard

buffettbride

buffettbride Enthusiast

EEEEK!!!! I glutened my DD twice this weekend, thinking Emeril's Smooth Honey Mustard was gluten-free (as listed here: Open Original Shared Link ).

Maybe I'm being rash, but the meal she had that day was:

Tapioca bread grilled w/ Promise spread

Jif Peanut Butter

Welch's Grape Jelly

Glutino Pretzels

Any ideas or suggestions? Our house is gluten-free so the risk of CC would be minor (however I'm open to anything). I'm grasping at straws really, because she really loves the Glutino Pretzels with honey mustard!! It's somewhat of a comfort food for her.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

With any processed product there's always a chance of CC, even with the best companies. If you really want it, you might buy another container and try it to see what happens. Or see if French's or Kraft has something comparable.

richard

wolfie Enthusiast

Ken's Steakhouse makes a wonderful honey mustard....really thick and SO good!!

You could also make your own....I do sometimes....I use the following:

Mayo

Yellow Mustard

Spicy Brown Mustard

Honey

I use mostly mayo, SB mustard & honey. I mix and taste until I find what I like.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
EEEEK!!!! I glutened my DD twice this weekend, thinking Emeril's Smooth Honey Mustard was gluten-free (as listed here: Open Original Shared Link ).

Maybe I'm being rash, but the meal she had that day was:

Tapioca bread grilled w/ Promise spread

Jif Peanut Butter

Welch's Grape Jelly

Glutino Pretzels

Any ideas or suggestions? Our house is gluten-free so the risk of CC would be minor (however I'm open to anything). I'm grasping at straws really, because she really loves the Glutino Pretzels with honey mustard!! It's somewhat of a comfort food for her.

You may want to call the company directly and ask what form of distllled vinager they use. There are some of us that will react to gluten grain derived vinagers but since not all of us do even if they use a gluten vinager they may not consider it to be gluten. May not be the case for you all but it is something that 2 of us in our family have to be careful of, the other 2 celiacs tolerate distilled grain okay.

buffettbride Enthusiast
You may want to call the company directly and ask what form of distllled vinager they use. There are some of us that will react to gluten grain derived vinagers but since not all of us do even if they use a gluten vinager they may not consider it to be gluten. May not be the case for you all but it is something that 2 of us in our family have to be careful of, the other 2 celiacs tolerate distilled grain okay.

I was under the understanding that distilled vinegar was safe (unless flavors containing gluten are added in after the distillation process).

So it's possible vinegars may not be safe at all? I could totally see how that would have happened. The girl loves pickles (especially bread and butter pickles).

Eeeegaaads this is hard sometimes.

skyepie Newbie

Is there any chance that the promise spread was contaminated? My dietician instructed me to have my own container of butter that nobody else dips a knife into.....

buffettbride Enthusiast
Is there any chance that the promise spread was contaminated? My dietician instructed me to have my own container of butter that nobody else dips a knife into.....

Nope. Everything in the house is gluten-free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I was under the understanding that distilled vinegar was safe (unless flavors containing gluten are added in after the distillation process).

So it's possible vinegars may not be safe at all? I could totally see how that would have happened. The girl loves pickles (especially bread and butter pickles).

Eeeegaaads this is hard sometimes.

For many they are safe just as with alcohol but there are some of us who will have a gluten reaction. The best way to determine if something is tolerated is to add it to your diet for a week when you are symptom free and not consuming anything else that is new. Eat some everyday and if you are not having any gluten symptoms after a week (they can be delayed) then you will now that particular food and brand is okay.

There are some folks also who just don't toleate any vinagers so you may even want to make your first challenge cider (not cider flavored) vinager. Many bread and butter pickles use cider vinager as the vinager choice and in addition they are really easy to make.

buffettbride Enthusiast
For many they are safe just as with alcohol but there are some of us who will have a gluten reaction. The best way to determine if something is tolerated is to add it to your diet for a week when you are symptom free and not consuming anything else that is new. Eat some everyday and if you are not having any gluten symptoms after a week (they can be delayed) then you will now that particular food and brand is okay.

There are some folks also who just don't toleate any vinagers so you may even want to make your first challenge cider (not cider flavored) vinager. Many bread and butter pickles use cider vinager as the vinager choice and in addition they are really easy to make.

I did a quick peek at the label when I cleaned the fridge this weekend and it was indeed cider vinegar (not cider flavored). I'm thinking either it was a bad batch or she managed to pick it up from somewhere else that I just can't think of.

Archived