This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten-free Lists By Subscription

Moondanse

Moondanse Explorer

Hi guys!

When I was first diagnosed and saw the cost to access the electronic lists of gluten-free products I laughed. I thought I could do the work myself (which I can). But, as I continue on with this diet and hit obstacles or forget what is okay when I'm grocery shopping, I'm reconsidering.

I was thinking that it might not be a bad idea to subscribe to a PDA list. That way I can carry a PDA with me and have access to the list wherever I may be. This might help when at a friend's and I am uncertain if I can eat a specific product.

So, I'd love some feedback on these lists and which ones are worth the expense. Is it worth the cost and will it help?

Thanks,

Kelli

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JennyC Enthusiast

In my opinion it is not worth it. I bought the most expensive "package" from Clan Thompson shortly after my son was diagnosed. I never use them. I did learn some things from them in the beginning but I could have gotten all that information from the manufacturers. I recommend buying products from companies that disclose their gluten and calling companies often. That's what I do and I never break out my product lists anymore.

Here's a great link that someone posted about companies that will list gluten:

Open Original Shared Link

almostnrn Explorer

I have the Clan Thompson list on my pda and I use it all the time. Like you, I had problems remembering exactly what brands were ok for certain items I don't use all the time. I also use it frequently for resteraunts that are listed in there and what choices are the safest when we eat out. I love mine, good luck with your decision!

kbtoyssni Contributor

I don't use one. I know my safe brands and do a search of this board if I need to buy a different brand. But I have a very good memory for this kind of information so I've never been in the grocery store and not been able to remember my safe brands. If you have trouble remembering, I could see it being helpful. If it were me, I'd probably just bring a printout of the information and not spend the money, though.

celiac-mommy Collaborator
Hi guys!

When I was first diagnosed and saw the cost to access the electronic lists of gluten-free products I laughed. I thought I could do the work myself (which I can). But, as I continue on with this diet and hit obstacles or forget what is okay when I'm grocery shopping, I'm reconsidering.

I was thinking that it might not be a bad idea to subscribe to a PDA list. That way I can carry a PDA with me and have access to the list wherever I may be. This might help when at a friend's and I am uncertain if I can eat a specific product.

So, I'd love some feedback on these lists and which ones are worth the expense. Is it worth the cost and will it help?

Thanks,

Kelli

I also bought the most expensive Clan Thompson pkg when my DD was diagnosed, and found it NOT helpful. There was a massive list from stores that weren't even in our area. I found myself still calling manufacturers on a regular basis. The one that I did find helpful was the drug list, it listed a lot of info that I had overlooked or never even considered. I have a printed list from Wild Oats, New Seasons, Whole foods and Trader Joe's, plus I know that Safeway brands are good with labeling and listings, but you just have to ALWAYS read labels, no matter what the food lists say. It's MUCH easier to stick with a whole foods diet and skip the processed stuff-then you hardly have to think about it!

-Rachelle

Moondanse Explorer
Hi guys!

Thanks,

Kelli

Thanks for all the feedback folks -- I'm still split down the middle. I'll have to think on it a little longer. I can't help but think that it would be beneficial to have a list on the PDA when in a jam. Like today, I was traveling and the chef at a restaurant wanted to know if I had an issue with Lawry's seasoning -- I don't use Lawry's, so I didn't know. If I could pull out a PDA and check, it would be great. We'll see. Thanks again!

Archived