This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Viactiv Calcium Chews

Jennifer126

Jennifer126 Newbie

Does anyone know if Viactiv Calcium chews are gluten free? I've tried to contact them to find out, but have not heard back. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

darlindeb25 Collaborator
:D i have a list from napervillige.com that says they are gluten free and my sister told me that maybe i could try them--calcium in pill form bothers my tummy---so, i would say, yes they are :D deb
tarnalberry Community Regular

Yes, I have called the company and they confirmed they were gluten-free.

BRCoats Enthusiast

Where does one purchase these calcium chews? The name sounds familiar, but I don't recall seeing them anywhere.

• 11 years later...
Clear2me Newbie

I received an email from the company saying it is manufactured in a facility that also processes products with wheat. They seem to be talking out of both sides of their mouths. That means it is not Gluten free. Not for celiacs anyway

Edited by Clear2me
Spelling
kareng Grand Master
1 hour ago, Clear2me said:

I received an email from the company saying it is manufactured in a facility that also processes products with wheat. They seem to be talking out of both sides of their mouths. That means it is not Gluten free. Not for celiacs anyway

It can be gluten free .  The same facility does not mean something isn't gluten-free.  The info in these posts is 12 years old.  I am not sure what their current protocols are - do they test?  Are the ingredients kept separated?  Etc?

• 3 years later...
linR Newbie
On 2/22/2016 at 2:42 PM, kareng said:

It can be gluten free .  The same facility does not mean something isn't gluten-free.  The info in these posts is 12 years old.  I am not sure what their current protocols are - do they test?  Are the ingredients kept separated?  Etc?

a product can't be certified gluten free if there is a possibility of cross contamination.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master
On 9/6/2019 at 12:16 PM, linR said:

a product can't be certified gluten free if there is a possibility of cross contamination.

I didn’t say it was cc’d .  A product can be certified gluten-free even if other things are made in the same place.  They need to test it and have good procedures in place.  

the above topic is several years old, so I would check and see what the status of the current product is.  

• 2 years later...
psychic Newbie
On 10/28/2004 at 5:58 PM, Jennifer126 said:

Does anyone know if Viactiv Calcium chews are gluten free? I've tried to contact them to find out, but have not heard back. Thanks!

i just got some caramel chews and i reacted.  the company says it doesnt contain gluten.. but it uses caramal color

Wheatwacked Veteran

Viactiv Calcium Plus D, Soft Chews Caramel Ingredients

Calcium Carbonate, Corn Syrup, Sugar, Hydrogenated Coconut Oil, Non-Fat Dry Milk Powder, Glycerine, Corn Syrup Solids, Contains 2% or Less of:, Cornstarch, Caramel Color, Salt, Soy Lecithin, Natural & Artificial Flavors, Cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3), Phylloquinone (Vitamin K1)

You might be reacting to the added ingredients.

10 grams of fresh parsley = 100% DV of vitamin K vs. Viactiv only 33%

Scott Adams Grand Master

Just FYI, in the USA these ingredients are gluten-free:

• Artificial Flavoring
  • Artificial Flavors
  • Caramel Color
  • Caramel Flavoring

psychic Newbie
22 hours ago, Scott Adams said:

Just FYI, in the USA these ingredients are gluten-free:

• Artificial Flavoring
  • Artificial Flavors