This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bloating From Fatty Food?

holdthegluten

holdthegluten Rising Star

Why am i still getting bloating from eating fatty food (hamburger). It has been six months and i feel great for the most part, but for some reason whenever i eat fatty food i still get horrible bloating. If i am healed by now why wouldnt i be able to digest fat. Tonight i had a hamburger with a tapioca bun from EnerG Foods and organic fries from 365. I feel awful, dizzy, bloated, anxious. What is going on?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lorka150 Collaborator

Assuming all the foods were safe (the burger), then it's probably a normal reaction to the saturated, unhealthy fats. You probably weren't aware of this before hand because your body wasn't as clean as it is now. You'll notice new 'reactions' because you have rid yourself of the poison (gluten), and now you eat other foods that aren't good for you, and just feel, well, gross!

jmd3 Contributor

I feel your pain, I bloat like I am 9 months pregnant. I react to the smallest amount of gluten, it is horrible. My doctor told me that I can not ingest more that a fraction of a crumb, that is how bad it is for me.

What kind of hambuger was it = 90% , 85% , 70% - The less fat is better for us. I am told to make sure that it is not in the meat case with any meat that might have breading on it. Also, it has been suggested to make sure we get the "better burger" to make sure nothing was added as fillers.

Guest Doll
Why am i still getting bloating from eating fatty food (hamburger). It has been six months and i feel great for the most part, but for some reason whenever i eat fatty food i still get horrible bloating. If i am healed by now why wouldnt i be able to digest fat. Tonight i had a hamburger with a tapioca bun from EnerG Foods and organic fries from 365. I feel awful, dizzy, bloated, anxious. What is going on?

I would make sure that first, all of your food was really gluten-free. Ditto on checking hamburger meat for fillers. Some people also react to tapioca flour as well. Also, most people with IBS (and those Celiacs with damaged intestines) can't tolerate fatty foods. You may need to be on the IBS diet as well. It also could be something unrlelated, like mild food poisoning and/or a sudden change in blood sugar (gluten-free buns are high in carbs). Have you been tested for other bowel conditions and problems?

• 2 weeks later...
emcmaster Collaborator
I would make sure that first, all of your food was really gluten-free. Ditto on checking hamburger meat for fillers. Some people also react to tapioca flour as well. Also, most people with IBS (and those Celiacs with damaged intestines) can't tolerate fatty foods. You may need to be on the IBS diet as well. It also could be something unrlelated, like mild food poisoning and/or a sudden change in blood sugar (gluten-free buns are high in carbs). Have you been tested for other bowel conditions and problems?

I was one of those lucky few that couldn't tolerate dairy or fats at all (I had been doing the IBS diet with little success until I went gluten-free, and then I felt a lot better). Luckily, after about 6 months (what a nice, round number!) of being gluten-free, I was able to have dairy and fat again.

tom Contributor

Hi holdthegluten!

Looks like you're where I was in 2004.

I wondered the same things.

It took me an entire year before I figured out the main problem wasn't celiac itself anymore, but other issues created by celiac before I'd stopped the gluten.

Your symptoms sound like a perfect match for Candida Overgrowth & Leaky-Gut (increased intestinal permeability)

Loads of sites have "candida quizzes" to see how many symptoms match up. Just google for it.

It's become my *strong* belief that many many post-gluten-free celiacs have these 2 issues.

Even if you have neither of these, it may now, or soon, be time to look into other conditions that were spawned by celiac.

Good Luck!!

P.S. IBS is a symptom, not a cause. There IS a cause, for every case of IBS. The Docs just don't know what it is, if all they say is "IBS - deal w/ it".

georgie Enthusiast

I feel so ill right now. Today I was so tired and foggy that I nearly drove the car off the road. I really don't what is wrong - but I did eat a fatty type sausage meal 2 nights ago..... the sausage said it was gluten-free.... Should I suspect that ?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 9 years later...
Lamarcus Newbie
On 7/15/2007 at 11:51 PM, lorka150 said:

Assuming all the foods were safe (the burger), then it's probably a normal reaction to the saturated, unhealthy fats. You probably weren't aware of this before hand because your body wasn't as clean as it is now. You'll notice new 'reactions' because you have rid yourself of the poison (gluten), and now you eat other foods that aren't good for you, and just feel, well, gross!

Studies have shown that saturated fats are not unhealthy and are an important part of our diet for hormonal health, don't avoid fats only because they are saturated because they are safe and usually healthy.

Ennis-TX Grand Master
5 hours ago, Lamarcus said:

Studies have shown that saturated fats are not unhealthy and are an important part of our diet for hormonal health, don't avoid fats only because they are saturated because they are safe and usually healthy.

1. Check post date this is 10 years old.  2. Addressing a few things from this, I react badly to animal fats, they float and cause to throw up, I also have digestion issues with tough meats, where they do not break down in my stomach and either get puked up or pooped out still looking like meat. Fish, crab, and lean meat like longhorn when cooked til it dissolves on your tongue into a paste are edible to me.   3.   I live off of fats. nuts, seeds, avocado, coconut oil, I am ketogenic and I do not eat carbs but only fat and protein.

Feeneyja Collaborator

I know this is an old post, but your list of food intolerances just hit me, Ennis. Have you been checked for alpha gal allergy?  It results from a tick bite (lone star tick) and causes a delayed (like, several hours later) IgE reaction to mammalian meats and milk.  It is a reaction to the sugar alpha gal found in mammals. The sugar binds to a fat during digestion and then that results in the immune response.  So some folks with alpha gal allergy can tolerate lean mammalian meats.  It just made me wonder since I know you can't have dairy either.  I just ran into an article about it since it's tick season. 

Archived