• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Bloating From Fatty Food?
2 2

10 posts in this topic

Why am i still getting bloating from eating fatty food (hamburger). It has been six months and i feel great for the most part, but for some reason whenever i eat fatty food i still get horrible bloating. If i am healed by now why wouldnt i be able to digest fat. Tonight i had a hamburger with a tapioca bun from EnerG Foods and organic fries from 365. I feel awful, dizzy, bloated, anxious. What is going on?

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Assuming all the foods were safe (the burger), then it's probably a normal reaction to the saturated, unhealthy fats. You probably weren't aware of this before hand because your body wasn't as clean as it is now. You'll notice new 'reactions' because you have rid yourself of the poison (gluten), and now you eat other foods that aren't good for you, and just feel, well, gross!

I feel your pain, I bloat like I am 9 months pregnant. I react to the smallest amount of gluten, it is horrible. My doctor told me that I can not ingest more that a fraction of a crumb, that is how bad it is for me.

What kind of hambuger was it = 90% , 85% , 70% - The less fat is better for us. I am told to make sure that it is not in the meat case with any meat that might have breading on it. Also, it has been suggested to make sure we get the "better burger" to make sure nothing was added as fillers.

Why am i still getting bloating from eating fatty food (hamburger). It has been six months and i feel great for the most part, but for some reason whenever i eat fatty food i still get horrible bloating. If i am healed by now why wouldnt i be able to digest fat. Tonight i had a hamburger with a tapioca bun from EnerG Foods and organic fries from 365. I feel awful, dizzy, bloated, anxious. What is going on?

I would make sure that first, all of your food was really gluten-free. Ditto on checking hamburger meat for fillers. Some people also react to tapioca flour as well. Also, most people with IBS (and those Celiacs with damaged intestines) can't tolerate fatty foods. You may need to be on the IBS diet as well. It also could be something unrlelated, like mild food poisoning and/or a sudden change in blood sugar (gluten-free buns are high in carbs). Have you been tested for other bowel conditions and problems?

I would make sure that first, all of your food was really gluten-free. Ditto on checking hamburger meat for fillers. Some people also react to tapioca flour as well. Also, most people with IBS (and those Celiacs with damaged intestines) can't tolerate fatty foods. You may need to be on the IBS diet as well. It also could be something unrlelated, like mild food poisoning and/or a sudden change in blood sugar (gluten-free buns are high in carbs). Have you been tested for other bowel conditions and problems?

I was one of those lucky few that couldn't tolerate dairy or fats at all (I had been doing the IBS diet with little success until I went gluten-free, and then I felt a lot better). Luckily, after about 6 months (what a nice, round number!) of being gluten-free, I was able to have dairy and fat again.

Ads by Google:

Hi holdthegluten!

Looks like you're where I was in 2004.

I wondered the same things.

It took me an entire year before I figured out the main problem wasn't celiac itself anymore, but other issues created by celiac before I'd stopped the gluten.

Your symptoms sound like a perfect match for Candida Overgrowth & Leaky-Gut (increased intestinal permeability)

Loads of sites have "candida quizzes" to see how many symptoms match up. Just google for it.

It's become my *strong* belief that many many post-gluten-free celiacs have these 2 issues.

Even if you have neither of these, it may now, or soon, be time to look into other conditions that were spawned by celiac.

Good Luck!!

P.S. IBS is a symptom, not a cause. There IS a cause, for every case of IBS. The Docs just don't know what it is, if all they say is "IBS - deal w/ it".

I feel so ill right now. Today I was so tired and foggy that I nearly drove the car off the road. I really don't what is wrong - but I did eat a fatty type sausage meal 2 nights ago..... the sausage said it was gluten-free.... Should I suspect that ?

Posted (edited)

On 7/15/2007 at 11:51 PM, lorka150 said:

Assuming all the foods were safe (the burger), then it's probably a normal reaction to the saturated, unhealthy fats. You probably weren't aware of this before hand because your body wasn't as clean as it is now. You'll notice new 'reactions' because you have rid yourself of the poison (gluten), and now you eat other foods that aren't good for you, and just feel, well, gross!

Studies have shown that saturated fats are not unhealthy and are an important part of our diet for hormonal health, don't avoid fats only because they are saturated because they are safe and usually healthy.

Edited by Lamarcus

5 hours ago, Lamarcus said:

Studies have shown that saturated fats are not unhealthy and are an important part of our diet for hormonal health, don't avoid fats only because they are saturated because they are safe and usually healthy.

1. Check post date this is 10 years old.  2. Addressing a few things from this, I react badly to animal fats, they float and cause to throw up, I also have digestion issues with tough meats, where they do not break down in my stomach and either get puked up or pooped out still looking like meat. Fish, crab, and lean meat like longhorn when cooked til it dissolves on your tongue into a paste are edible to me.   3.   I live off of fats. nuts, seeds, avocado, coconut oil, I am ketogenic and I do not eat carbs but only fat and protein.

I know this is an old post, but your list of food intolerances just hit me, Ennis. Have you been checked for alpha gal allergy?  It results from a tick bite (lone star tick) and causes a delayed (like, several hours later) IgE reaction to mammalian meats and milk.  It is a reaction to the sugar alpha gal found in mammals. The sugar binds to a fat during digestion and then that results in the immune response.  So some folks with alpha gal allergy can tolerate lean mammalian meats.  It just made me wonder since I know you can't have dairy either.  I just ran into an article about it since it's tick season.