This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Please Consider Writing Target

juliela

juliela Rookie

Here is the info I recieved after writing to Target a couple weeks ago about their archer farms products. From the sound of it- they would like us to purchase the items, then write to them in great detail and then wait and then they will get back to us! I am writing back to them to explain how this isn't possible for people with celiac- I'm also going to post it here on the board and maybe others can write to them as well, telling them how important it is for them to label their products or at least provide us a list! uuugh! Julie

I appreciate you taking the time to contact Target with your inquiry.

Currently, we don't have a universal list to provide for all Archer Farms gluten-free products. I apologize for any disappointment. However, if you'd like to send me some more information about specific items, I'd be happy to check and see if they contain any gluten ingredients.

Here's the information I will need from you to help me with my research:

- Date and store location where the item is purchased.

- Expiration date and production code, which are printed in blue or black ink on the package.

- Complete description of the item including brand, size, weight and package design.

- The 12-digit barcode (UPC) number from the item or box, or the 9-digit inventory number printed on your receipt next to the description of the item.

I'll get to work on an inquiry as soon as I hear back from you!

Additionally, your feedback about the listing of gluten free products will be shared with our grocery team.

Thanks for shopping with us. I hope we'll see you again soon at Target.

Sincerely,

Miriam

Target Guest Relations

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

juliela Rookie

Here is the letter I sent to Target,

Hello,

Thank you for the reply. However, it would be very difficult for me and the 2.2 million Americans with celiac disease to do our shopping if all stores made it so difficult to find out the gluten-free status of foods and products.

It is extremely helpful to know the ingredients before we go shopping or while looking at the labels on products. I don't know of many people in my situation who would be willing to buy the products, take the time to write with all of the information you requested and then wait for a response and possibly have to make another trip to return the item. Many retailers are beginning to realize the importance of accurate food labeling for their consumers including Walmart and Wegmans, along with many many food manufacturers who clearly label the gluten-free status on the label or provide a complete gluten-free product listing.

I hope that Target and Archer Farms will consider this for their customers and their families. Thank you,

my name and address

Julie

juliela Rookie

Sorry, I just realized this is the best forum for this post :huh:

Here is the info I recieved after writing to Target a couple weeks ago about their archer farms products. From the sound of it- they would like us to purchase the items, then write to them in great detail and then wait and then they will get back to us! I am writing back to them to explain how this isn't possible for people with celiac- I'm also going to post it here on the board and maybe others can write to them as well, telling them how important it is for them to label their products or at least provide us a list! uuugh! Julie

I appreciate you taking the time to contact Target with your inquiry.

Currently, we don't have a universal list to provide for all Archer Farms gluten-free products. I apologize for any disappointment. However, if you'd like to send me some more information about specific items, I'd be happy to check and see if they contain any gluten ingredients.

Here's the information I will need from you to help me with my research:

- Date and store location where the item is purchased.

- Expiration date and production code, which are printed in blue or black ink on the package.

- Complete description of the item including brand, size, weight and package design.

- The 12-digit barcode (UPC) number from the item or box, or the 9-digit inventory number printed on your receipt next to the description of the item.

I'll get to work on an inquiry as soon as I hear back from you!

Additionally, your feedback about the listing of gluten free products will be shared with our grocery team.

Thanks for shopping with us. I hope we'll see you again soon at Target.

Sincerely,

Miriam

Target Guest Relations

ArtGirl Enthusiast

Excellent letter. Please post their reply.

Sweetfudge Community Regular

a great response! I might just have to write into target. That's disappointing. Yes, definitely let us know what they say!

Mickide Apprentice

By the looks of that letter I would be sceptical about buying any Archer Farms product right now. They need all that info for each item?? Do they're products differ that much from package size to package size etc.. They certainly aren't jumping up and down to help. Bummer.. Good for you for writing them!

sparkles Contributor

I received much the same response from Cub Foods, a large grocery chain in midwest.... (could be other places, but I have only seen it in midwest). I thanked them for their response and let them know that I would be doing most of my shopping at the Super WalMart where foods are clearly marked gluten-free. Maybe we need to just stop shopping the chains that won't be more upfront about their products. I know that it is a pain but the pocketbook seems to be the only thing that makes large corporations change their way of doing business.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

blueeyedmanda Community Regular
I received much the same response from Cub Foods, a large grocery chain in midwest.... (could be other places, but I have only seen it in midwest). I thanked them for their response and let them know that I would be doing most of my shopping at the Super WalMart where foods are clearly marked gluten-free. Maybe we need to just stop shopping the chains that won't be more upfront about their products. I know that it is a pain but the pocketbook seems to be the only thing that makes large corporations change their way of doing business.

Thats the way to do it, there are a lot more celiacs out there than grocery stores know. When you find a place that understands and is willing to help you, that is where you are going to direct your business. Everytime I go to Wegmans they are wonderful for celiac. Now I drive out of my way to get to one.

JennyC Enthusiast

I basically got the same response from Kroger/Fred Meyer. Although they do have a list now, but it's small and useless. I just try to stick to the safe brands. Safeway has a fantastic list, it was very helpful in the beginning and they also carry lots of gluten-free cereal. ;)

almostnrn Explorer

With more and more mainstream brands labeling their products gluten free I have adopted a new theory, If you label it I will buy it. For example I know there are several types of yogurt that are gluten-free but Yoplait now labels their safe products gluten-free so I will buy theirs...I feel like I should reward those companies that are jumping on the bandwagon and helping us out!

kbtoyssni Contributor

I do not buy Target Brand (Archer Farms or Market Pantry) for this very reason. One of the problems is that they get their food from another supplier so when you call they have to route you to the proper supplier. The suppliers are generally not set up for individual customer service - they mainly work with large corporations like Target - so it's hard to get a good answer as an individual. Some products have multiple suppliers for the same thing (I know for sure there are several companies that make the Target brand TruTech TVs) so I'm assuming it might be the same situation for food. That's probably why they need to know all the additional info like size, UPC, date purchased, etc. They use this to track exactly which supplier made that lot of food. So basically, I don't buy Target Brand. I'll pay more for the brand that labels gluten-free.

juliela Rookie
I do not buy Target Brand (Archer Farms or Market Pantry) for this very reason. One of the problems is that they get their food from another supplier so when you call they have to route you to the proper supplier. The suppliers are generally not set up for individual customer service - they mainly work with large corporations like Target - so it's hard to get a good answer as an individual. Some products have multiple suppliers for the same thing (I know for sure there are several companies that make the Target brand TruTech TVs) so I'm assuming it might be the same situation for food. That's probably why they need to know all the additional info like size, UPC, date purchased, etc. They use this to track exactly which supplier made that lot of food. So basically, I don't buy Target Brand. I'll pay more for the brand that labels gluten-free.

Well- I agree with you. Here is the response from Target:

"Thanks for your additional e-mail. I'll be sure to share your supplemental comments with our grocery team and our executives.

Thanks for shopping with us. I hope we'll see you again soon at Target."

I guess I'll be sticking with Walmart!

Eriella Explorer

Unlike everyone here, I got a very specific response. However, I also asked a very specific question about a very specific product (my beloved Hazelnut Coffee pods). Here is what they wrote me:

Dear me,

Thanks for contacting Target with your comments via our Archer Farms "Tell Us" page.

Good News! There are no gluten ingredients in the Archer Farms Hazelnut Coffee Pods or in the facility where the product is made.

Eat Well. Pay Less

• 7 years later...
NecrochildK Newbie

This bugs me with all coffees. It's not simply Archer Farms. I don't get how flavored coffees can get by with just "coffee beans" on the ingredients list. Obviously they have flavorings in it, but just "Ingredients: 100% arabica coffee beans", without even saying  "natural and artificial flavors"... It drives me bonkers. I mean there's laws for this in our food and drinks, how does coffee not fall under that?

kareng Grand Master

Pleas note that this thread is from 2007 - products and ingredients change over that period of time.

SMRI Collaborator

Thanks for pointing out the date :D.  Searching for updated Target info I found this... Open Original Shared Link  handy...no idea what this center is though.

Target online show a pretty extensive gluten-free selection of items only sold in stores now, a few of them are Archer Farms.  With the new labeling laws, hopefully Archer Farms will catch up.  I'm at the point where if it doesn't say gluten-free I just don't buy it (except for obvious gluten-free items like peaches, lol).

Archived