This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is Vsl#3 Safe

whattodo

whattodo Enthusiast

Hi everyone, I have had a prescription from my doctor for some VSL#3 Probiotic food supplement. I got this to try and help with my candida and get me some good bacteria after a course of antibiotics.

My question is, is it safe for celiacs to take, i read in the leaflet it has traces of gluten in it.

Thanks, Jason

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

I called the company, and it's gluten-free. I never noticed that comment on the insert .... are you using the packets? Both the flavored and unflavored are gluten-free.

whattodo Enthusiast
I called the company, and it's gluten-free. I never noticed that comment on the insert .... are you using the packets? Both the flavored and unflavored are gluten-free.

It states on mine "this product contains traces of gluten, soy, lactose and skimmed dehydrated milk.

It states this on the packaging and the inset leaflet.

Did you ring Actial Farmaceuticals Ltd

It states it in the website aswell

http://www.vsl3.co.uk/index.php?option=com...6&Itemid=29

Dont know what to do?

CarlaB Enthusiast

Hmm, that's interesting. Sounds like a the allergen warning they use when something is made in a facility that processes wheat .... my box does not say that, neither does the insert, so that must be new.

You might call them and ask. A few months ago when I did they told me it was okay.

whattodo Enthusiast
Hmm, that's interesting. Sounds like a the allergen warning they use when something is made in a facility that processes wheat .... my box does not say that, neither does the insert, so that must be new.

You might call them and ask. A few months ago when I did they told me it was okay.

It is over here in UK so possibly made by a different company

CarlaB Enthusiast
It is over here in UK so possibly made by a different company

That would explain it. Here's the website with ingredient listings for the US. http://www.vsl3.com/VSL3/order.asp

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Hi everyone, I have had a prescription from my doctor for some VSL#3 Probiotic food supplement. I got this to try and help with my candida and get me some good bacteria after a course of antibiotics.

My question is, is it safe for celiacs to take, i read in the leaflet it has traces of gluten in it.

Thanks, Jason

I wouldn't take this product. There are probiotics that are safe for us, I would either pick one of those or try to find a yogurt with live cultures that is safe. Your not going to have much success balancing your digestive bacteria when you are getting CC'd.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

whattodo Enthusiast
That would explain it. Here's the website with ingredient listings for the US. http://www.vsl3.com/VSL3/order.asp

I rang the company who make VSL#3 over here and they said yes there are traces amount of gluten in VSL#3 and it is made in the exact same way as the ones in America. The difference is that the regulations regarding packaging over here are much stronger that that it america and therefore have to state even trace amounts. He also said if they have trace amounts in the product then so will you. Apparently it is picked up along the way when growing the bacteria (or something).

The company i rang was Ferring Pharmaceuticals Ltd (uk)

So do you still think that I shouldnt take VSL#3 even though it is the same product. Trace amounts means that its so small they cannot measure it, will this harm me (us).

I am confused, i have 28 days worth in my fridge and dont know what to do with it?

CarlaB Enthusiast

If it has trace amounts, a celiac should not take it.

I have gluten intolerance as a secondary condition to another disease and my gluten intolerance is diminishing greatly as I am healing ... I will continue to take it, but a celiac should not.

The unique thing about VSL#3 is the high number of bacteria (450 billion). The next highest that I take is Theralac (20 billion) and Ultra Flora (15 billion). You might look into those to see if they're gluten-free ... I think they are.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I rang the company who make VSL#3 over here and they said yes there are traces amount of gluten in VSL#3 and it is made in the exact same way as the ones in America. The difference is that the regulations regarding packaging over here are much stronger that that it america and therefore have to state even trace amounts. He also said if they have trace amounts in the product then so will you. Apparently it is picked up along the way when growing the bacteria (or something).

The company i rang was Ferring Pharmaceuticals Ltd (uk)

So do you still think that I shouldnt take VSL#3 even though it is the same product. Trace amounts means that its so small they cannot measure it, will this harm me (us).

I am confused, i have 28 days worth in my fridge and dont know what to do with it?

If you are still healing, ie. symptomatic, do not take these it can set you back or keep you symptomatic. I would pass these on to a non gluten intolerant friend or ask at the store you bought them if you can return them for exchange or refund. Depending on the store if you explain that you turned out to be 'allergic' to a component of the product this may be possible. Most companies will credit the store for the return under that sort of circumstance.

• 10 years later...
Sheri2018 Newbie

Hi!  I've been taking VSL#3 DS 900 for over a year with no problems and I have Celiac.  I've had my small intestine checked multiple times during this period and my small intestine shows no signs of Celiac.  I get mine from a company in Italy.  They state on the package insert that the product contains no gluten or wheat, etc.  I just switched to the VSL#3 450 packets unflavored which doesn't contain maltose.  That's just my 2cents but this product does the job in keeping me regular.

kareng Grand Master
4 minutes ago, Sheri2018 said:

Hi!  I've been taking VSL#3 DS 900 for over a year with no problems and I have Celiac.  I've had my small intestine checked multiple times during this period and my small intestine shows no signs of Celiac.  I get mine from a company in Italy.  They state on the package insert that the product contains no gluten or wheat, etc.  I just switched to the VSL#3 450 packets unflavored which doesn't contain maltose.  That's just my 2cents but this product does the job in keeping me regular.

Previous info on this thread is at least 10 years old.  So people reading now, please don't go y that old info

• 1 month later...
JamieRmusic Explorer

I am a member of consumer labs. They test every product to make sure us consumer have a reliable source for supplements. They are a nonprofit and have been written about in just about every credible newsagency. They're the real deal. 

VSL is sadly not approved gluten free, and neither is align probiotics. However, according to a study on pubmed from 2014, VSL has a function which breaks down wheat gluten protein. You can ready about it here: Open Original Shared Link

Honestly, I'd go with live bacteria from home made sauerkraut and the likes. Just go slow and increase over time. Jordan from SCD Lifestyle and Chris Kresser has a podcast on rebuilding your gut: Open Original Shared Link

Also, interesting read: Open Original Shared Link

Lastly, there is hope. 3 vaccines are in trial phases with successful results. Soon we can be done with all this nonsense. 

Archived