This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Problem With Coconut?

~alex~

~alex~ Explorer

I have been keeping a food diary to try and figure out why my stomach is still upset more frequently than I'd like despite being gluten free. I

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kaycee Collaborator

I am worried that I may not have the right culprit because I

Lisa Mentor

Alex,

I can't comment on the Coconut, but perhaps the salad and vegtables were just too much. Salads are hard for me to digest sometimes.

Hope you find your answer. You have come a great way. Keep up the good work.

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Alex :)

A couple of things--it's not unusual for us to find we are intolerant to other foods once we go gluten-free. Possible reasons are a leaky gut, or that the intolerance was there all along, but taking the biggest offender (gluten) away causes it to "suddenly" become a problem. Some of these intolerances may be temporary--like lactose. Once the villi heal, many are able to consume it again with no problems.

My personal opinion, and from some experience--when you determine that you are intolerant to a particular food, stay away from it completely for at leat 6 months--then if you want, try some again. It's just one of the many things that are different for each of us ;)

I happen to be intolerant to coconut. It didn't become apparant until I'd been gluten-free for several months. With coconut, I get cramping, stomach pain, and nausea. I find it's pretty easy to stay away from--but something to watch out for are water filters. Lots of them use charcoal made with coconut hulls. I found this out the hard way!

Good for you keeping a food diary! :D It helps out so much in the beginning with all this.

~alex~ Explorer

Thank you so much for the responses. I will definitely be staying away from all things coconut. I'm not too upset about parting with coconut but it is a little disheartening to add something else to the list -- a list I'm hoping doesn't get to long. I'm almost afraid to continue with the food diary for fear of finding out there are more things that bother me. I'm having a hard time telling lately because I feel nauseated and yucky from a new medication. I'm hoping once that settles down I'll be able to tell more definitively when I'm having symptoms from something I'm eating.

Patti, thank you so much for informing me about the filtered water. I never, ever would have figured that out. I guess I should never take anything for granted, even things that seem inherently innocuous. Do you know if this is just for water you filter yourself at home or do bottled water companies use this kind of filter?

Thank you

• 1 year later...
GFmonkeii Newbie

This is something I have been sort of observing on myself as well.... there are various "coconut" gluten-free cookies that I buy in Australia and they recently stopped agreeing with me. I recall drinking and eating a "young coconut" would also cause some of the common symptoms, although that was before going gluten-free. I don't seem to have a problem with coconut milk though which I stir into all the yummy gluten-free curries that I make. Maybe it's something in coconuts that gets removed in the process of making a coconut milk? I wish I understood the whole processing of foods a bit better.

Cathy I am like you hoping I don't end up with a list miles long of intolerances. I have been gluten-free for 10 months now and in the porcess had a passing lactose intolerance but that seems to be fine now. I was eating everything for 30 years before being diagnosed with celiac disease... it is driving my husband crazy when I complain of this and then that. Adopting to gluten-free lifestyle was hard enough...

Have you got any more news since posting on this subject last year?

ShayFL Enthusiast

I can eat coconut: shredded, milk, fresh, cream. No problems whatsoever.

BUT I have tried "coconut flour" 3 times and every time I have the most horrible pain in my tummy that I have to lay in the fetal position for about an hour or so before it passes.

I wonder why? Do they grind the hard outer part of the nut with the meats to make the flour? The flour isnt white, so I suspect this may be so.

That outer shell doesnt agree with me.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Alot of coconut products are preserved with sulfites....even if not clearly labeled. Its not uncommon to be sensitive to sulfites.

If you have the same reactions to fresh coconut (right out of the shell) then its not a sulfite issue. If you tolerate the fresh stuff.....then sulfites are a possibility.

ShayFL Enthusiast

I never buy anything with sulfites....cuz they can trigger migraines. Even tho I do not have any evidence they triggered mine (they went away gluten-free), always seemed a good idea to avoid them.

They must put them in the flour or it is some of that outer shell that tears me up.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I never buy anything with sulfites....cuz they can trigger migraines. Even tho I do not have any evidence they triggered mine (they went away gluten-free), always seemed a good idea to avoid them.

They must put them in the flour or it is some of that outer shell that tears me up.

They do use sulfites in some flours...as a "whitening" agent....also most starches contain sulfites (corn starch, potato starch, etc.).

They dont have to be listed as an ingredient on the product....but can be found in many different ingredients. Corn syrup, lemon juice, white grape juice, etc). Its my understanding that most processed foods contain sulfites. People who are sensitive have different tolerance levels.

Also, some foods contain natural sulfites....like grapes (wine)....and most wines have also been preserved with sulfites as well.

I get alot of symptoms from sulfites so I do my best to avoid them.

GFmonkeii Newbie

Rachel you could be onto something there with the sulphites because sometimes when I drink wine I get mouth ulcers which could be a prove of intolerance I guess. :huh:

I also read that coconut is used as a laxative in many Asian countries and maybe some of us are too sensitive and react. :P

Thanks for your posts ShayFL too, I am going to be more observant about coconut flour vs. sulphites. The cookies I am referring to say "coconut", not c. flour though. :rolleyes: the packet says that the product may contain suplhites.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Rachel you could be onto something there with the sulphites because sometimes when I drink wine I get mouth ulcers which could be a prove of intolerance I guess. :huh:

I have gotten mouth blisters from foods containing sulfites. I would say that the mouth ulcers you get from wine are caused by some type of sensitivity....sulfites would be a strong possibity.

Unless a product specifically states that the coconut is not preserved with sulfites...I just assume that it is. Unless its coming right out of the shell I think that most coconut is preserved with sulfites.

I've seen one brand of coconut that is organic and unsulfured.

mftnchn Explorer

I have trouble with coconut but haven't experimented enough to know which forms. For sure, canned coconut milk is an issue.

ive Rookie
I've seen one brand of coconut that is organic and unsulfured.

I think "Let's Do Organic" Coconut doesn't have any sulfites in it: Open Original Shared Link

Ken70 Apprentice

keep in mind coconut is a major anti-fungal agent. could be a herxing type reaction possibly.

ShayFL Enthusiast

Not for me. I am familiar with "Herx". It is ONLY the flour and a horrible pain in my stomach that lasts about an hour or so and then it goes away. Horrible pain. Like I cannot digest it kinda pain.

No problems with coconut milk, shredded coconut, macaroons and the oil. I eat those all of the time.

It is just the flour for me.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Same here...my reactions to coconut had nothing to do with its antifungal properties.

• 6 months later...
Samir Newbie
I have been keeping a food diary to try and figure out why my stomach is still upset more frequently than I'd like despite being gluten free. I
  • 3 months later...
darlindeb25 Collaborator

Just did some researching on coconut intolerance...thank you for this thread.

Lately found out coconut milk give me upset stomach in particular when I Go to bed ( tossing and rolling all night ) but to a lesser reaction than gluten and dairy products

I started sleeping through the night when I gave up dairy. That lasted 14 days, then the problem started again. I guess the honeymoon is over with coconut. I was hoping it would be the answer, yet my tummy hasn't felt good for well over a week now. I tried blaming it on cashews, but haven't had them for well over 1 week, before that I tried blaming it on raisins, but haven't had them either. The coconut milk is the only constant in my life that has been new.

So, coffee without milk, I can do it if I have to, or just give up coffee. :(

• 4 months later...
Nadia2009 Enthusiast

I started sleeping through the night when I gave up dairy. That lasted 14 days, then the problem started again. I guess the honeymoon is over with coconut. I was hoping it would be the answer, yet my tummy hasn't felt good for well over a week now. I tried blaming it on cashews, but haven't had them for well over 1 week, before that I tried blaming it on raisins, but haven't had them either. The coconut milk is the only constant in my life that has been new.

I know this is an old thread but I just started taking coconut oil. It gives me nausea and I have problem with the strong smell. I was so eager to use coconut because of all the benefits. Coconut milk may have increase my acid reflux but almost anything I try with my caffeinated brings me or increase acid reflux. I am thinking of giving up tea and coffee too.

Does anyone know if the nausea could be a reaction of coconut meeting candida in my digestive system?

Roda Rising Star
I can eat coconut: shredded, milk, fresh, cream. No problems whatsoever.

BUT I have tried "coconut flour" 3 times and every time I have the most horrible pain in my tummy that I have to lay in the fetal position for about an hour or so before it passes.

I wonder why? Do they grind the hard outer part of the nut with the meats to make the flour? The flour isnt white, so I suspect this may be so.

That outer shell doesnt agree with me.

Coconut flour does not contain any of the shell. It is made of the coconut meat that has been pressed to make coconut milk (defatted), dried then ground into a flour. It is also very high in fiber. If you are not used to alot of fiber, coconut flour can cause bloating and gas (just like if you over did it on beans :lol: ). I find I eat less when I bake with it and I have over done it and got gassy and bloated. In moderation this is minimal.

Here is a link

Open Original Shared Link

Roda Rising Star
I know this is an old thread but I just started taking coconut oil. It gives me nausea and I have problem with the strong smell. I was so eager to use coconut because of all the benefits. Coconut milk may have increase my acid reflux but almost anything I try with my caffeinated brings me or increase acid reflux. I am thinking of giving up tea and coffee too.

Does anyone know if the nausea could be a reaction of coconut meeting candida in my digestive system?

If is had a really strong smell it may not have been a qood quality oil. It should have a slight coconut smell and taste. Here is a link on how to choose a good quality oil. I wish I had come across this sooner myself. It will help next time I order it.

Nadia2009 Enthusiast
If is had a really strong smell it may not have been a qood quality oil. It should have a slight coconut smell and taste. Here is a link on how to choose a good quality oil. I wish I had come across this sooner myself. It will help next time I order it.

Thank you Roda. It does have a strong smell to me anyway. But I know that I don't tolerate certain smells. Sometimes, I have to spit food people give me or even restaurant food and it usually has to do with fats oils and butters. Right at this moment, after reading your reply I went to check the jar of coconut oil and smelled it. YUK I can't even tolerate that. But I think I made a discovery every time I have a craving, I'll go smell this oil and I'll have my fix of nausea and will fast for 2 hours.

I bought it in a health food store and it is from Philippines. And I was told that the deodorized ones are not good. Do you know any good brand name that is good?

Roda Rising Star
Thank you Roda. It does have a strong smell to me anyway. But I know that I don't tolerate certain smells. Sometimes, I have to spit food people give me or even restaurant food and it usually has to do with fats oils and butters. Right at this moment, after reading your reply I went to check the jar of coconut oil and smelled it. YUK I can't even tolerate that. But I think I made a discovery every time I have a craving, I'll go smell this oil and I'll have my fix of nausea and will fast for 2 hours.

I bought it in a health food store and it is from Philippines. And I was told that the deodorized ones are not good. Do you know any good brand name that is good?

I just ordered this brand. (Nutiva)

It does have a slight coconut smell and a hint of coconut taste. It tastes very smooth and is really white. It sure beats the spectrum (it was fully processed/refined) I had bought without knowing better. Big difference! I am going to try and melt some and put it on popcorn with some salt. I'll let you know what I think of it.

I may at one point look at tropical traditions green lable (need to be price conscious but want decent quality)

I'm pretty new to the whole coconut oil and flour thing. I have used the tropical traditions coconut flour and love it! Maybe someone else has some recommendations.

Here is a link to reviews on the Nutiva. I found a few reviews that like this brand better than the tropical traditions. I eventually will have to buy a small jar so I can compare the two.

annielala Newbie

What about hemp or almond milk?

Archived