• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

The Bread That Keeps On Giving- Amish Friendship Bread

6 posts in this topic

So several friends I know are doing the amish friendship bread but there was no way of knowing if it was gluten/dairy free so I searched the web and started my own. Now everyone I have shared it with just loves it (whether they keep it Gluten-free Casein-free or not it turns out great). I've tested several variations too with different flours and not using pudding mix or using apple-sauce instead of all oil and it is awesome. The wait for the starter to ferment is the hardest part but the pay off is worth it.

I also found a recipe to make your own pudding mix out of Dari-free powder which works well....I'll start a new thread for that.

We like it best with the Enjoy Life chocolate chips!

Ingredients:

***Starter***

1 tablespoon Active Dry Yeast

2 cups Warm Water -- (110 degrees)

1 cup Flour (gluten-free flour)

1 cup Sugar

1 cup Milk (or milk sub)

***To Make Bread***

1 cup Vegetable Oil or 1/2 c oil + 1/2 c applesauce

1 cup Sugar

2 cups Flour(gluten-free flour)

3 Eggs

1 small Vanilla Pudding Mix -- Instant (use as much or little as you want or none at all)

1 teaspoon Cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon Salt

1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda

1/4 teaspoon Baking Powder

1/2 cup Milk (or milk sub)

***Cinnamon Sugar***

1 cup Sugar

2 tablespoons Cinnamon

Directions:

For Starter: Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup of the warm water in a deep glass or plastic container. Stir in remaining warm water, flour and sugar.

Beat until smooth. Cover. (A large glass jar or bowl with a tight fitting lid works best for this, but a 1/2 gallon zip baggie can also be used).

Because your first batch of starter contains fresh yeast, you can skip the next set of directions and go directly to the instructions for splitting your start.

Do not refrigerate! Do not stir with a metal spoon! The starter requires 10 days for fermentation.

Day 1- Begin or receive starter Day 2- Stir with wooden spoon (or squish baggie) Day 3- Stir with wooden spoon (or squish baggie) Day 4- Stir with wooden spoon (or squish baggie) Day 5- Add 1 cup sugar, 1 cup flour, 1 cup milk Day 6- Stir with wooden spoon (or squish baggie) Day 7- Stir with wooden spoon (or squish baggie) Day 8- Do Nothing Day 9- Do Nothing Day 10- Add 1 cup sugar, 1 cup flour, 1 cup milk

Put 1 cup of starter in each of three containers. Give 2 away to friends and keep one. This will begin their Day 1.

For Bread: You will have about 1 cup of batter left (besides the 1 cup you have saved for yourself). To the remaining batter add vegetable oil, sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, eggs, milk, vanilla pudding mix, cinnamon, and salt. Beat until well blended. Add one cup raisins, chocolate chips or nuts, if desired.

Grease 2 loaf pans well, and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, coating bottom well. Turn batter into pans, and sprinkle remaining cinnamon sugar onto tops of loaves. Bake at 325F degrees for one hour.

This recipe for Amish Friendship Bread Starter and Bread serves/makes 5 cups

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

That's neat, one of my coworkers just made the real version (non gluten free) just a few months ago, the bag was laid out on a filing cabinet here.

Nevermind....reread your post....my comment didn't make sense! Wow...a gluten-free Amish Bread...I'm going to have to try that! :D

this looks good! What kind of gluten free flour did you use? Would Kamut work?

Kamut isn't gluten free. :(

Ads by Google:

this looks great! thanks for figuring out how to make it gluten-free :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    mmp

• Topics

• You are not alone. My daughter also has elevated TTG after 3 years on very strict gluten-free diet.   My household is also gluten-free.   My daughter is a silent celiac.   So, I have the NIMA gluten tester, and also use the EZ Gluten test kits to test outside foods. I understand that you are careful with her gluten free diet, as we are careful with our gluten free diet.   This is just frustrating! We were offered to do another endoscopy to see if there are still damages to her stomach lining.   But we decided against that.   Because she is growing, and gaining height. My daughter does have Type 1 diabetes, and this can contribute to her elevated TTG.  I suppose if you really want to know if your child is healing, you can ask for another endoscopy, and see if there are still damages there.   Or just keep going with your gluten-free diet, as long as your child is healthy and growing normally.    
    • It is a cambells product and NOT on their gluten-free list at all. Now the ingredients for the turkey gravy look safe, the beef gravy states it has wheat in the ingredients. I would say just avoid it.....get pacific broth or some other gluten-free broth add seasonings and make your own gravy, I like using potato flour to make gravy for my church when cooking for them. Myself I use konjac flour as it is carb free, NOTE on konjac you use like 1/2tsp to 4-6cups of liquid.....stuff thickens like crazy. Potato start off with half the amount you would for a flour and slowly add more til desired consistency.
    • I have had severe constant bloating for many years. I have diagnosed with celiac diseases about two months ago and have been gluten free since. My skin rashes and constant nausea have improved a little, but the bloating is much worse. Is this because of celiac? If so how long will it take for bloating to settle down?  Is it because my stomach is inflamed? My stomach also gets full and bloated easily, but I am Always hungry. I constantly want to eat since I started eating gluten free. 
    • CeliacMommaX2, Your children may be reacting to corn in their diet. Here a post that talks about this possibility in addition to Oats - Corn can trigger IgA immune response in some Celiacs. Also  you might have them checked for Pellagra some Celiac's also have co-morbid Pellagra and it can contribute to a poor GI response even when someone is 100% gluten free. Celiac.com recently featured an article about why/how this might be so. See this article https://www.celiac.com/articles/24658/1/A-Differential-Diagnosis-How-Pellagra-Can-be-Confused-with-Celiac-Disease/Page1.html I have also blogged about my experience with Pellagra on celiac.com just search for the posterboy on celiac.com and my blog posts will come up about how many of my GI symptom's got better after taking Niacinamide or as I like to think/say I am a Celiac who also developed Pellagra. ***this is not medical advice only my own personal experience I hope it helps you the way it seemed to help me. I recommend people be tested before beginning any Vitamin so any cases of Pellagra and Celiac disease occurring in the same person can be documented. Since I was not tested before I begin taking Niacinamide I can only advocate that others be tested to rule it out. So if it is Pellagra undiagnosed you won't be fighting a two front war as you seem to be doing now. I am Not sure what else in your kids diet  is causing GI problems as indicated by high TTG levels. But I would look first at the corn then also maybe test to see if it is possible a B-Vitamin deficiency might be triggering some of these issues. It is not as far fetched as it seems. The gluten free works site talks about what low niacin levels look like and how eerily similar are the GI problems a Celiac has looks like in people who have it. http://glutenfreeworks.com/blog/2010/06/23/niacin-vitamin-b3-deficiency-in-celiac-disease/ New research validates that low Niacinamide in pregnant mother influences Ezcema in their babies. see this link about this new ground breaking research about how inherited B-Vitamin deficiencies can affect the health of our children. http://www.medindia.net/news/higher-levels-of-vitamin-b-during-pregnancy-lowers-risk-of-eczema-in-children-163685-1.htm So it seems plausible any deficiency you might of had could of been passed on to your children. And doctor's unfortunately don't know to look for Pellagra any more today and therefore don't find it. see Dr. Heaney's blog post on why this is so. http://blogs.creighton.edu/heaney/2013/11/18/pellagra-and-the-four-ds/ quoting and I couldn't agree more. "In the United States, at least .  . . it is doubtful today that most health professionals would recognize it (Pellagra) if a case happened to come to their attention." today. But is it easy enough to check for with a blood test or sometimes a 24 hours urine test is also used.  You don't have to have all the D's of Pellagra to diagnosis it.  ONLY  one of the D's (Digestive) can confirm a diagnosis. In fact the MD guidelines website notes that if you have only one of the D's of Pellagra it is better to have the dermatitis problems or doctor's have trouble identifying it as a Niacin(amide) deficiency today. http://www.mdguidelines.com/pellagra Quoting " The diagnosis of pellagra is straightforward when the classic rash (eczema my words) is present but may be elusive if there are only gastrointestinal and/or neurological manifestations." as the new research I cited above is bearing out. They forgot what they knew 75+ years when Pellagra was eradicated from the general public and no longer recognize it when it present's other than as a skin disease today.  Pellagra is Italian for rough/sour skin as first described in Italy before Niacinamide was isolated as it cause. The 3 D's of Pellagra are not all separate diseases but one Parent disease with many children like dermatitis issues and/or dementia issues and/or GI issues. I hope this is helpful and good luck on finding out what (else) might be triggering the high TTG levels. Sorry for the long post but I am trying to educate here about why and how Pellagra is often misdiagnosed as Celiac disease today  and sometimes that takes some background information to understand not only what is happening but WHY it is happening. 2 Timothy 2: 7 “Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things” this included. posterboy by the grace of God,    
  • Upcoming Events