This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Gluten-free Lipstick

CarolB

CarolB Newbie

I received assurance from Maybelline that Shiny-Lucious, Moisture Extreem, Superstay Lipcolor and Shine Seduction lipstick ARE gluten-free. I also received the same assurance from Estee Lauder that their lipsticks are gluten free. Has anyone else contacted these or other lipstick manufacturers?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest thatchickali

I started a similar topic: Open Original Shared Link

Did you mean "shiny-licious" and is it the lip gloss in the tube, cause I think I have that one laying around from before I was dx'd and I didn't know about using it.

Have you had success using any of those maybelline lip colors?

CarolB Newbie
I started a similar topic: Open Original Shared Link

Did you mean "shiny-licious" and is it the lip gloss in the tube, cause I think I have that one laying around from before I was dx'd and I didn't know about using it.

Have you had success using any of those maybelline lip colors?

This was Maybelline's reply:

Thank you for your interest in Shiny-Licious, Moisture Extreme, Superstay Lipcolor, and Shine Seduction.

The safety of our consumers is our highest priority. As a global leader, the L'Or

• 1 year later...
Lov2BeMe Rookie

Ok i have emailed Maybelline and havent had a responce yet. I dont know which ones I am using. I just know that they are in a twist tube and the number of the color.. I also need to know about Revalon lipsticks, Victoria Secret Lip gloss and loreal. If anyone has this info thanks for your help. I also have been using maybelline age rewind liquid foundation. I put it on my lips to ensure my lip color stays on longer, and I hope I am not making myself sick from doing this..

mamasaidso Apprentice

I recently ordered some lipstick from Afterglow after seeing advertisement on the forum. It's really wonderful. A little pricey, but totally gluten-free and no chemicals. It's worth the price. I can't wait to try some other shades. If you're not sure what shade to order you can talk to consultant on line. Nice company to deal with.

raisin Enthusiast

Afterglow states : "Are your gluten free cosmetics made in a gluten free facility? Our gluten free cosmetics are made in a facility that makes other non gluten free cosmetics."

Anyone sensitive should be aware that this brand is not totally gluten-free, just technically gluten free.

I am still looking for just one single totally gluten-free cosmetics line.

oceangirl Collaborator

Lancome's line Le Rouge Absolu is gluten-free. I'm highly sensitive to gluten and have worn their lipstick every day for over two years. Pricey but lasts and worth it.

lisa

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 1 month later...
HotPeaSoup Newbie

I use Afterglow Cosmetics. Actually, in the last 2 years I've switched virtually all my cosmetics to the Afterglow brand. I'm highly allergic to soy and gluten. Afterglow's gluten free lipsticks and lip liner are amazing and I hear that they just came out with gluten free organic lip glosses too!

I find it really comforting to know that the founder of Afterglow understands celiac diseas from a personal perspective. The website says that both her mother and sister have celiac disease. I've called Afterglow's customer service before and they all seem very knowledgeable about gluten issues... which is a huge difference from most companies who don't have a clue or just email an automated response.

It seems that Afterglow has updated their website since the last comments (and added new products)... it's very interesting. . . Open Original Shared Link

:) Lauren

• 3 months later...
Lisa16 Collaborator

Raisin-- I know of a couple of lines that are completely gluten-free. Of course, they are pricey.

Nars-- everything

Shiseido-- owned by Nars

100% pure-- only the mascara is not

t. LeClerc tells me all of their makeup is too

Smashbox (all but mascara)

EcoNvey (no gluten ingredients)

Chanel says all lipsticks and glosses are

Some Clinique is

Some Lancome is

Have fun shopping!

• 2 weeks later...
jerseyangel Proficient

I recently switched to Nars mascara and blush--love them!! I also tried Afterglow lipstick and lip liner and was very impressed. :)

oceangirl Collaborator

Where does one find "Afterglow'? I just re-researched a bunch of Lancome products 'cause I needed/(wanted) some new lipstick and Le Rouge Absolu, Color Design and L'Absolu Rouge are still gluten free.

lisa

rbeccatexas Rookie

Go to www.afterglowcosmetics.com. I actually placed an order for one of the starter kits and some eyeshadows last night and if I like them, will probably be ordering more. They are a little pricey but not anymore so than department stores. I'm also trying the Rejuva and Everyday Minerals to see which one I like best. :)

jerseyangel Proficient
Where does one find "Afterglow'?

Lisa, here's the link. I bought a tube of the lipstick and a lip pencil--they threw in a sharpener for free. :D

Open Original Shared Link

oceangirl Collaborator

Thanks, Patti and rbeccatexas!

lisa

• 4 weeks later...
sylviaann Apprentice
Afterglow states : "Are your gluten free cosmetics made in a gluten free facility? Our gluten free cosmetics are made in a facility that makes other non gluten free cosmetics."

Anyone sensitive should be aware that this brand is not totally gluten-free, just technically gluten free.

I am still looking for just one single totally gluten-free cosmetics line.

I realize that this is an old thread but wanted everyone to know that I recently communicated with a regional manager at AfterGlow. When I inquired as to whether the company's Everyday Mineral products (including lipsticks) were actually tested for gluten and soy, the answer was NO.

I would love to try their products but I am super sensitive. If anyone who is SUPER SENSITIVE has safely used the foundation (loose powder for dry skin), lipsticks, lip pencils, blush, and bronzer without a reaction, please let me know.

Thanks a million,

Sylviaann

• 2 years later...
Lotus Blossoms Newbie

I don't know whether this is new news or not, but the what I from the Lauder Companies (Lauder, Clinique, Prescriptives, Origins, Aveda, Bobbi Brown, MAC are ones I can think of....) that I saw stated that their lipsticks are not guaranteed gluten-free (see quote below). I worked for Estee Lauder in the past. This is consistent with the company policy, due to manufacturing processes and purity. However, it should be noted that in a recent study, the amount of gluten found in most lipsticks is not easily determinable, or even available. (Open Original Shared Link). And, as noted in the quote below, just because gluten isn't added TO the lipstick, doesn't mean it isn't IN the lipstick due to manufacturing processes. Currently, I don't know of any companies that independently test their lipsticks for gluten content.

Sarah P Rookie

All of Arbonne's make-up, lip stick included, is gluten free.

smsm Contributor

I just bought 2 tubes of lipstick from here - Open Original Shared Link - it is cheaper than afterglow and I had a better experience with the shipping/customer service.

Archived