This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Scottsdale, Arizona

Lisa

Lisa Mentor

My sister and I will be seeing my brother in Scottsdale in a couple of weeks. We have not been together since 1981. I will just have a few days there and I am hoping to meet up with a good friend/mouse while there.

I noticed that they have a good selection of restaurants with gluten free menus, such as P.F's and The Capitol Grill.

Are there any great sites to see or things to do within a hour or so from Scottsdale. Unfortunately, the Grand Canyon is too far for this trip.

I am looking forward to the trip. I have not been to that part of the country in many many moons.

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bbuster Explorer

My sister is a Michigan snowbird with a place in Scottsdale, so our family has been there a few times.

Things we have done:

Drive to Sedona - about 2 hours north, but it is beautiful!! You can drive through Oak Creek Canyon, visit Slide Rock Park and picnic there (there's a fee to enter). I think this is nearly as scenic as the Grand Canyon. Sedona has lots of shopping and restaurants, but we have not eaten there gluten-free. I love checking out the handmade Indian jewelry they sell at some roadside places.

Drive to the Sonoran Desert Museum in Tucson - about 2 hours south. This is more like a zoo than a museum - it's mostly outside walking around.

When there we have gone to sporting events - depending on the time of year. We have been to baseball and hockey games.

There is a place called Rawhide. It used to be in north Scottsdale, but they moved it to make way for urban sprawl. It's kind of a kid place, but I enjoyed it too. It is an Old West theme park. It is (or at least was) free to get in. There are some attractions you pay for. What I liked there was a Gunsmoke-type saloon/restaurant with a really good house band. The food was good, but you might want to check what is gluten free - it was 2 years ago since I was last there.

Finally, if you want to spend some $$$ they have some fantastic spas there. If you book any service, you can go in the morning and stay all day!

And I found this out after the fact, but there is a gluten-free pizza place in Scottsdale. Forgot the name but you could probably find it on the board somewhere.

Have fun!

Worriedwife Apprentice

The Sonoran desert Museum in Tuscon is a GREAT place. We went there in the spring, and plan to go again. But it's a lot of outdoor walking, and it still pretty warm there. If you go, make sure you wear comfortable shoes and take lots of drinking water. Have a great time!

CarlaB Enthusiast

If you like Frank Lloyd Wright, Taliesan West is in Phoenix. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Ditto on the spas. The most hoity-toity has to be The Sanctuary ... Open Original Shared Link I'm sure it's not cheap, but I did have a wonderful gluten-free meal there. Their chef is a pro!! We were at a business function, so I have no idea what the meals cost ... I do know I just mentioned it to the waiter one time and never had to say another word, every course was altered for me. :) BTW, Jennifer Aniston and Vince Vahn stayed there ... so did Brittany Spears while she was pregnant.

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Picazzo's Pizzeria. there is a Picazzos in Scottsdale and Tempe.

www.picazzos.com

No trip to AZ is comlete without a stop here. Gluten Free yumminess!

My gluten-free and I love going to Sedona - one of the most beautiful places in the country.

Lisa Mentor
Picazzo's Pizzeria. there is a Picazzos in Scottsdale and Tempe.

www.picazzos.com

No trip to AZ is comlete without a stop here. Gluten Free yumminess!

My gluten-free and I love going to Sedona - one of the most beautiful places in the country.

Yup, Picazzo's is on the list.

azmom Newbie

Remember that it's pretty hot here this time of year. If you are planning to do anything outside, make it as early as possible in the day. (It was 110 in Phx the other day. ) Sedona is worth the drive and will be cooler. I highly recommend Slide Rock Park, but make sure you do it during the week as there are generally lines to get in on the weekends.

If you are a bargain shopper, check out Last Chance (I think it's on Camelback). It's the closeout store for Nordstrom's..it's sort of an interesting experience...

And by all means, make sure you hit Picazzo's at least once..if not several times. Their pizza is awesome as is their flat bread w/ hummus.

Have fun and drink lots of water!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mouse Enthusiast

Can't wait to see you at lunch in Scottsdale. The gluten free pizza menu is awesome.

You will love Sedona. We went up there after I was diagnosed. Stayed two nights and ate some awesome gluten free foods. One was in a small strip mall on the right side as you head for the downtown area. I don't remember the name, but they fed me my first gourmet meal and it was so good and safe. The other was in the downtown area and is a very popular restuarant. Expensive but safe. I did not know about Picazzo's at that time.

Sorry this is not just a sightseeing trip for you and hope your brother gets some good news after his Mayo visit. Wait until you see the Mayo as it is like being on a College campus.

• 2 weeks later...
Lisa Mentor

I am so excited. I am going to meet Mouse and Bronkobux for wonderful gluten free pizza.

Thank you for all the great recommendations. I can't wait. (except for the 110degree temp).

tom Contributor
I am so excited. I am going to meet Mouse and Bronkobux for wonderful gluten free pizza.

OH! OH!! <waving hand wildly in air> :D

I'd LOVE to get in on this meetup!! :)

I'm still in Phx for a few weeks.

Momma Goose, I PM'd you . . .. .hope you see it in time. For all I know the meetup is in 4 hrs! :o

happygirl Collaborator

I hope yall have fun!!!!!!

mouse Enthusiast

Sure hope you can make the lunch on Sunday, Tom. This will be great to see so many from the forum. And the pizza is awesome.

jerseyangel Proficient

That sounds like so much fun! Hope you all have a great time :D

Looking forward to seeing you guys!

My flight comes in at 10 a.m. My gluten-free will be picking me up and transporting us to Picazzos for some yummy gluten free piza (I like the southwest cheeseburger pizza or the B.L.T. pizza) and then we are off to root on her Seahawks as they play the Cardinals (one of my friends plays for the Cardinals, so I have to root for him very quietly - LOL).

Can't wait!

Sunday at 11:00 a.m.

BB

p.s. Are we meeting at the one on Frank LLoyd Wright or the one on Scottdale Rd (There are 2 in Scottsdale)

Thanks

BB

Lisa Mentor
p.s. Are we meeting at the one on Frank LLoyd Wright or the one on Scottdale Rd (There are 2 in Scottsdale)

Thanks

BB

GOOD QUESTION!!! :blink: I thought it is the one on the corner of Scottsdale and Frank Lloyd Wright. :blink:

Chris, the one I have listed is NORTH Scottsdale 7325 Frank Lloyd Wright Blvd. (on SouthWest corner of FLW Blvd and Scottsdale Road)

990-2212

.........If other, please let me know :D

mouse Enthusiast

OK. I googled the other one. And I think that is a better choice for everyone. Chris will be closer to get to the game and I won't get lost. It is closer to Phoenix for Tom. It is also easy for you Lisa, as Scottsdale Rd. is the main road in Scottsdale. Your hotel will direct you.

The exact address is 8787 N. Scottsdale Road and the phone number is 480.596.8800. Just in case anyone gets lost.

See everyone on Sunday at 11:00.

Lisa Mentor
OK. I googled the other one. And I think that is a better choice for everyone. Chris will be closer to get to the game and I won't get lost. It is closer to Phoenix for Tom. It is also easy for you Lisa, as Scottsdale Rd. is the main road in Scottsdale. Your hotel will direct you.

The exact address is 8787 N. Scottsdale Road and the phone number is 480.596.8800. Just in case anyone gets lost.

See everyone on Sunday at 11:00.

Got it, see ya. Call me on my cell if anything changes. EXCITED. We need to make sure that Tom knows.

mouse Enthusiast

Tom knows.

Cherry Tart Apprentice

Hi - Z'tejas mexican restaurant is pretty tasty, they have a gluten-free menu too! www.ztejas.com

If you get a chance, Prescott AZ is beautiful this time of year! ;)

It was great to finally meet Lisa and Tom! (and Lisa's sis). Sorry we had to leave in such a hurry - we had fun though!

I still liked the quattro formaggi pizza the best! It was heavenly!

In our rush to leave, I think I may have forgotten to pay Dan for my gluten-free beers and gluten-free garlic/cheesy bread. If one of you paid for that, please let me know - I will send you a check ASAP!

I will post pics when I get a sec at home...

CB

tom Contributor
If one of you paid for that, please let me know - I will send you a check ASAP!

:lol:

Hey broncobux, maybe if your name were bengalhawk THOSE teams would've won.

No idea when I might get to LV, but wanted to throw out that if you're ever in the SF Bay Area w/ a free hr or two, we should do something.

mouse Enthusiast

Thats why our bill was so high. My mind was totally out of it as far as the bill was concerned. Then I added a $20 tip, forgetting that they always put the tip in there when it is 6 or more. I thought of the tip when I was going to sleep. So, you owe Lisa. Send her what you think is fair. I will send you a personal email with her address. She overpaid as I forgot to give her change from her $50.

No folks, I am not cheap or a cheater - just brain dead most of the time.

Thanks Metta,

I didn't think of it until we were on our way home to Vegas and I was like "OMG, I totally stiffed those guys with the appetizer and my beers..."

I will send a check to her today.

BB

mouse Enthusiast

Hey Chris, where are our pictures? I have Tom's photo of the four of us as my wallpaper on my computer. Neat, Huh?

Archived