This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sores In Hairline

whitelacegal

whitelacegal Contributor

Does anyone else get these> What do you do for them? My beautican told me that she saw some sores in my head while bleaching my hair? Wondering if bleaching hair dye cause this problem for me?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Pegster Apprentice

I believed the sores in my scalp and along my hairline were reactions to wheat in my shampoo. I switched to a gluten-free shampoo and hair coloring and they went away. Since then they come and go (as does my DH) so a realize they must be due to a slip up in what I eat. My shampoo is still gluten-free. I understand it takes a long time to get the gluten out of the system and that DH can suddenly pop up in the first years of being gluten-free. If your hairdresser noticed them and they don't bother you, then you're lucky!

plantime Contributor

I get them, and they itch and hurt horribly! Mine always come with a severe allergic reaction to something, so it is not just celiac-triggered. I have to wash my hair every day until the breakout subsides to get relief. Nothing I have tried prevents it.

Canadian Karen Community Regular

I also get them, and even though I use Pantene, which is gluten-free, I find they don't really go away..... It also doesn't have anything to do with the time of year, either, they are pretty much there year round....

I especially get them most often by the temples and up by the forehead....

Karen

Guest ~wAvE WeT sAnD~

Hi!

Is this the same as getting--I know this sounds gross--but pimple-like bumps on your scalp? I get those, and I've switched to all gluten-free hair products. I don't have an oily scalp, so I know that cannot be the case...or is it?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

angel-jd1 Community Regular

I get those sometimes also. They are like little pimples, except they don't usually hurt. I am a very clean person so I don't quite understand why or how they get there!!

-Jessica :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
kgeiger Newbie

Anyone with unresolved sores in their scalp should be very concerned. I have noticed through posts on various sites that it tends to be women who have this problem more often than men. I have decided this is because we generally keep our hair longer. I have longish, baby fine hair and lots of it, by the way.

Read on. . .

Here is my story: Rash started in early 2000; wasn't diagnosed with DH until late 2002. Went gluten-free immediately. Started on Dapsone in May of 2004.

Once the Dapsone started to relieve my rash, I found out something I suppose interesting but ultimately quite horrific had been going on under my 'scalp'. My scalp was heavily involved with the sores. As others report, they never seemed to go away.

My hair still looked fairly normal but did seem a bit thinner to me.

Now I know the reason for this! The sores, even when they do subside, don't actually heal or at least not like normal skin. Hair (new hair) doesn't seem to be able to push through them and ended up in my case misdirected and hideously ingrown, to the point where I had noticeable lumps behind my ears. Several doctors told me this was my lymph nodes reacting to inflammation. Hah! It was HAIR which had eventually pushed underneath the skin and down. It has been a nightmare getting the hair out, and as I found in the past several months I had a 'second' layer of hair growing underneath, it was a twisted tangled calcified mess.

So anyone with scalp problems that don't seem to go away - go get checked out. But don't expect the doctors to take you seriously.

If you would like to e-mail me or get more information I would be happy to talk to you, I hope this is permitted but you can e-mail me directly at geiger@lawyer.com

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kgeiger Newbie

Anyone with unresolved sores in their scalp should be very concerned. I have noticed through posts on various sites that it tends to be women who have this problem more often than men. I have decided this is because we generally keep our hair longer. I have longish, baby fine hair and lots of it, by the way.

Read on. . .

Here is my story: Rash started in early 2000; wasn't diagnosed with DH until late 2002. Went gluten-free immediately. Started on Dapsone in May of 2004.

Once the Dapsone started to relieve my rash, I found out something I suppose interesting but ultimately quite horrific had been going on under my 'scalp'. My scalp was heavily involved with the sores. As others report, they never seemed to go away.

My hair still looked fairly normal but did seem a bit thinner to me.

Now I know the reason for this! The sores, even when they do subside, don't actually heal or at least not like normal skin. Hair (new hair) doesn't seem to be able to push through them and ended up in my case misdirected and hideously ingrown, to the point where I had noticeable lumps behind my ears. Several doctors told me this was my lymph nodes reacting to inflammation. Hah! It was HAIR which had eventually pushed underneath the skin and down. It has been a nightmare getting the hair out, and as I found in the past several months I had a 'second' layer of hair growing underneath, it was a twisted tangled calcified mess.

So anyone with scalp problems that don't seem to go away - go get checked out. But don't expect the doctors to take you seriously.

If you would like to e-mail me or get more information I would be happy to talk to you, I hope this is permitted but you can e-mail me directly at geiger@lawyer.com

Twister2 Contributor

Wow....I have the little pimples in my hairline too and it never occured to me that this was a Celiac thing. What gluten free haircare products do you guys use?? I have been using Pantene for years and I'd rather not switch if I can help it!

darlindeb25 Collaborator
:D pantene is gluten-free--i use it on all of this hair--it is the only product i use that lets me comb all this hair out with ease--i tried equate's brand of pantene and i couldnt comb my hair---vidal sassoon is gluten-free too, but i still prefer pantene over anything else--never use tressemme--it contains wheat------ ;) deb---by the way--my hair is 22" long and very thick--i have tested many :P
Guest ~wAvE WeT sAnD~

I use Suave...but I've had the bumps way, way before my symptoms began...

how odd.

Pegster Apprentice

K - Scary story! How did you get the extra hair layer out? Ever since I read your post I've been feeling my head for lumps! None so far....

Now about those little bumps... I think it's important to use gluten-free shampoos, etc., but I understand the gluten antibodies take a long time to get out of the skin. DH can pop up anywhere at any time. When my scalp is super itchy, I usually can trace a DH outbreak to some food mess up or even using ALEVE. I know it's gluten-free, but the anti- inflamatory drugs do worsen DH. When I don't take it for a while, my scalp calms down and clears up.

• 13 years later...
Janice Parisi Newbie

Since I've gone gluten I have sores not only behind my ears but all over my body very upsetting has anyone experienced this

• 1 month later...
disgruntledceliac Explorer

I've had this problem. They're at their worst when I grow my hair out, so I shave my head every few weeks. I use a gluten free product to wash my head/hair so that wouldn't be it. Hopefully its a residual effect of my years of eating gluten that I'll grow out of.

Archived