This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Fevers?

Samy

Samy Newbie

Hi, I was diagnosed with celiac disease back in July (on my 20th birthday no less) and am still pretty new to the gluten free world. Anyway, my question is, are fevers common reactions in Celiac disease? Since about September, I've frequently been getting low fevers (generally no higher than 100.5) that usually last just a few days. I'm only getting worried now because I've had a fever for almost 2 weeks. It goes down when I take Tylenol, but comes back within a few hours. I didn't even think to realize how often I've been getting fevers until this last one that won't end. My normal body temperature is lower than normal, between 96-97, so even though my fevers are generally pretty low, they feel worse to me.

Anyone else experience something similar? I'm always exhausted with a fever, something I don't need to be with celiac disease and chronic headaches (which my doctor thinks is also celiac disease related) making me tired enough as it is. I usually only get fevers 2-3 times a year with cold/flu. I am going to call my doctor today.

thanks

Samantha

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

Fever is unusual but it was one of my symptoms. I ran fevers up to 105 when I first got really sick. I ran fevers over 100 daily for 10 weeks. The doctors though it was lymphoma.

If you've been casual about the diet, it's time to get serious because you're getting sicker. If you have been strict about the diet, it's probably something else and you need to see your doctor.

richard

Samy Newbie

Thanks. I've been strict with my diet, haven't purposely eaten gluten in months and read every label carefully. There is always the chance for cross contamination, I live in a house with 6 other people and I'm the only Celiac. Though my family is usually good about keeping their gluten foods away from my gluten-free foods.

Guess I'll just have to see what the doctor says, it would be nice to not have to add anything to the list of what's "wrong" with me.

Samantha

dbuhl79 Contributor

Samy,

Would you be so kind to post what your doctors response is? I myself have recently been running a few low grade temps.

Thanks!

kabowman Explorer

I have NOT been formerly diagnosed with celiac disease, however, I have been running a low-grade fever on-and-off for years. It actually got worse after I went gluten-free, my doc(s) has never figured out what it was. I think I have discovered that when I drink wine, I run a fever - I cannot have vinegar and wine is so close. I have just given up the wine and am finally feeling better.

It could be anything you are eating - a detailed food diary that includes my symptoms and what I think they were tied to really helped eliminate almost everything I was having problems with. The wine was the last to go and I feel so much better! No longer totally exhausted due to the fever really helps.

-Kate

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

Well, i went gluten-free in July this year. But i have had exactly 3 fevers last year and i was not sick other than the fevers. No flu, nothing. I never figured out, where the fever came from. But it never happened again.

Would be nice to hear, what causes yours though. Maybe mine was the same...

Lots of greetings, Stef

LynnR Explorer

I also have gotten the low-grade fevers. I am just starting with a good doctor so I am hoping in time, all my questions will be answered.

I usually have gotten them when I got more runned down or I pushed myself too much. But I also get them when the weather changes - mostly warm to cool. I also sit near a heater at times b/c I am so cold that I can't get warmed up no matter what I do.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
Jacer69 Newbie

Yes a fever is common, your body is having a reaction to gluten, and in other words it is triggering an immune response. Your body treats gluten as a foreign body, or a virus. The fever is the body fighting with the gluten. J

Kimberly Newbie

I have also been running a low grade fever off and on for awhile...I was diagnosed with DH about 18 months ago and celiac disease in September. I developed both during my second pregnancy and went into the hospital to deliver my baby with a fever and as of this week I am still running one....I would love to know what you find out...I have fought this for 20 months now...I can't even lose my weight from being pregnant :( I was always so thin before now I am about 20lbs heavier than usual.

I stick to a gluten-free diet ...if I eat something it is by accident. This is the hardest thing I have ever done.... Goodluck with finding out about your fever......

May God Bless!!!

red345 Apprentice

--

Archived