This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Onion Intolerance

confused

JustinTime Newbie

This is an opinion and only comes from experience. I am a nurses aide and have worked in the food service industry for seven years. I love food but always had those issues of eating certain types. Mainly dairy and onions. No issues anywhere else unless it was too much sugar and caffeine. Dairy almost instantaneously gave me the rolling gut of death either end was horrifically preparing for pain. Most of the time anything with whole milk was to blame. Then after passing on onions since I can remember from being young. I tried chives loved them and began eating healthier incorporating onions into my diet wondering what was causing IbS acid reflux abdominal pain. Well cut onions and dairy out and within two days I was back to perfect. So I dug and dug actually went about six months eating vitamins greens and probiotics even got CBD oil. Eventually after almost a year of research and experiences I came to the realization that activated charcoal, boron, and a multivitamin became staples to my high metabolic diet. I'm 5'11 155lbs and have been for three years. Before I would jump between 140-155 like crazy feeling drained wore out and unhealthy most of the time. Now with boron twice a day activated charcoal twice a week and a multivitamin and a eat what I want diet I've never felt healthier and stronger. Be aware of your surroundings or mold, mildew, dust, stress. These all play a roll in many different ways. I can drink beer again without feeling like I have a cold or sinus infection. I would lean more towards Boron for stabilizing the process of my diet. Most produced foods and farms have been turned over so much there no boron in the soil, and then you have hydroponics and genetically modified foods that lack these natural elements our bodies need. I do not take prescription medications or over the counter medications anymore since I started taking Boron. I did start off with 18mg a day for the first month then tapered off to 4-6 mg a day. Research the process of boron on the human body balances testosterone and estrogen helps bind heavy metals and excrete them. Hope that this helps (used to be on ADHD medication as well as nexium and pain pills for my back) now I am free! Cured!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master
19 minutes ago, JustinTime said:

This is an opinion and only comes from experience. I am a nurses aide and have worked in the food service industry for seven years. I love food but always had those issues of eating certain types. Mainly dairy and onions. No issues anywhere else unless it was too much sugar and caffeine. Dairy almost instantaneously gave me the rolling gut of death either end was horrifically preparing for pain. Most of the time anything with whole milk was to blame. Then after passing on onions since I can remember from being young. I tried chives loved them and began eating healthier incorporating onions into my diet wondering what was causing IbS acid reflux abdominal pain. Well cut onions and dairy out and within two days I was back to perfect. So I dug and dug actually went about six months eating vitamins greens and probiotics even got CBD oil. Eventually after almost a year of research and experiences I came to the realization that activated charcoal, boron, and a multivitamin became staples to my high metabolic diet. I'm 5'11 155lbs and have been for three years. Before I would jump between 140-155 like crazy feeling drained wore out and unhealthy most of the time. Now with boron twice a day activated charcoal twice a week and a multivitamin and a eat what I want diet I've never felt healthier and stronger. Be aware of your surroundings or mold, mildew, dust, stress. These all play a roll in many different ways. I can drink beer again without feeling like I have a cold or sinus infection. I would lean more towards Boron for stabilizing the process of my diet. Most produced foods and farms have been turned over so much there no boron in the soil, and then you have hydroponics and genetically modified foods that lack these natural elements our bodies need. I do not take prescription medications or over the counter medications anymore since I started taking Boron. I did start off with 18mg a day for the first month then tapered off to 4-6 mg a day. Research the process of boron on the human body balances testosterone and estrogen helps bind heavy metals and excrete them. Hope that this helps (used to be on ADHD medication as well as nexium and pain pills for my back) now I am free! Cured!

Let me remind you that you are posting on a Celiac website.  Celiacs CAN NOT DRINK regular beer. And there is NO CURE for Celiac currently!

Victoria1234 Experienced
9 hours ago, JustinTime said:

What does this have to do with celiac disease?

• 2 months later...
Whatswrongwithmygut Newbie

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this possibility- I have fructose malabsorption in addition to Celiac.  Onions have fructans (a fructose molecule) and cause a bad reaction as you described.  Other foods with fructans are garlic and wheat.   The fructose malabsorption means I can't eat fruits/veggies high in fructose - but if you notice that you are having also having reactions to garlic and/or watermelon, strawberries and apples- consider this possibility.  It is diagnosed with a breath test OR elimination diet

• 1 month later...
Rick Coen Newbie

(I know I am necro-ing an old thread (2010, wow), but I'm just now doing some research.)

The last three weeks (a Saturday, a Friday, and a Friday), I have had a weird response to something I ate (sorry for excess detail):

1) Horrendously gassy - can hear the gas churning from across the room, can feel weird shifts in my gut as the gas pushes its way through my intestines, yuck!  (Side effect, besides flatulence: complete emptying of the bowels, but not exactly diarrhea.)

2) Unable to sleep - not just because I'm getting out of bed every 45 minutes to return to the toilet, but actually feeling mentally charged up.  (Which is really weird, because I am *always* tired, chasing after 3 kids, 2 jobs, and trying to have some personal time.)

3) Consistent need to urinate - basically, every time I returned to the toilet due to the gas, I felt like I had at least a half-full bladder as well.

Now, the first week, I assumed it was some stupidity on my part.  I was with my brother-in-law and some other friends for my birthday, and he laid out a fantastic spread.  Marinated flank steak (with fresh garlic cloves), Mediterranean "garlic paste", baked vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, and whole onions), Girl Scout Cookies, Oreos, tortilla chips... an evening's fuel for games and good times.  Added to that three Mike's Hard Watermelon, and a Diet Mountain Dew.  Then we were up until 1:15am, and a 45 minute drive home.... and I spent the rest of the night pretty much in the bathroom, finally able to get some sleep around 6:30am.   I have been "off" caffeine for 2 months now, so the Mountain Dew I thought could have been the wakefulness issue.  I avoided most gluten (though I did have tortilla chips for the garlic paste), and had no dairy at all.  I did use garlic paste to snatch up loose garlic cloves from the steak...

Week 2, an end-of-season sports banquet.  Salad, vegetables (no onion, was thinking that might be suspect), rosemary pork, chicken and capers, roasted potatoes, and some really thick and delicious cookies.  No caffeine, no alcohol, but a "virgin Shirley Temple" with lots of sugar.  No broccoli, no cauliflower, minimal dairy in the chicken, no idea what might have triggered the response.  However, I did overindulge, so I thought that might be an issue.

Week 3, catered Qdoba at work.  Small beef tortillas with shredded cheese, and guaccamole. On my last one, I pulled some green peppers out of the "fajita-style veggies", which of course includes onions.  This is lunch, mind you.  Dinner was a couple organic hotdogs (normal buns, a single slice of cheese broken up to put on the two buns), and a glass of Baileys, around 6:30.  Nothing afterward, not even water.  I was wide awake when my wife got home from Girl's Night at 2am, and having the same symptoms all night, finally getting some sleep around 7:15 am after half a slice of pumpernickel toast.

WTH?  Are these the same types of symptoms other people are having from allium intolerance?  I put Garlic Salt on almost everything, always have.  We add garlic cloves to meals every week or every other week.  Onions aren't a common ingredient for us, but I have always had sauteed onions on my steaks when we go out.  I'm lost and confused on this, and I can't afford another weekend that starts with no sleep!

kareng Grand Master
13 minutes ago, Rick Coen said:

(I know I am necro-ing an old thread (2010, wow), but I'm just now doing some research.)

The last three weeks (a Saturday, a Friday, and a Friday), I have had a weird response to something I ate (sorry for excess detail):

1) Horrendously gassy - can hear the gas churning from across the room, can feel weird shifts in my gut as the gas pushes its way through my intestines, yuck!  (Side effect, besides flatulence: complete emptying of the bowels, but not exactly diarrhea.)

2) Unable to sleep - not just because I'm getting out of bed every 45 minutes to return to the toilet, but actually feeling mentally charged up.  (Which is really weird, because I am *always* tired, chasing after 3 kids, 2 jobs, and trying to have some personal time.)

3) Consistent need to urinate - basically, every time I returned to the toilet due to the gas, I felt like I had at least a half-full bladder as well.

Now, the first week, I assumed it was some stupidity on my part.  I was with my brother-in-law and some other friends for my birthday, and he laid out a fantastic spread.  Marinated flank steak (with fresh garlic cloves), Mediterranean "garlic paste", baked vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, and whole onions), Girl Scout Cookies, Oreos, tortilla chips... an evening's fuel for games and good times.  Added to that three Mike's Hard Watermelon, and a Diet Mountain Dew.  Then we were up until 1:15am, and a 45 minute drive home.... and I spent the rest of the night pretty much in the bathroom, finally able to get some sleep around 6:30am.   I have been "off" caffeine for 2 months now, so the Mountain Dew I thought could have been the wakefulness issue.  I avoided most gluten (though I did have tortilla chips for the garlic paste), and had no dairy at all.  I did use garlic paste to snatch up loose garlic cloves from the steak...

Week 2, an end-of-season sports banquet.  Salad, vegetables (no onion, was thinking that might be suspect), rosemary pork, chicken and capers, roasted potatoes, and some really thick and delicious cookies.  No caffeine, no alcohol, but a "virgin Shirley Temple" with lots of sugar.  No broccoli, no cauliflower, minimal dairy in the chicken, no idea what might have triggered the response.  However, I did overindulge, so I thought that might be an issue.

Week 3, catered Qdoba at work.  Small beef tortillas with shredded cheese, and guaccamole. On my last one, I pulled some green peppers out of the "fajita-style veggies", which of course includes onions.  This is lunch, mind you.  Dinner was a couple organic hotdogs (normal buns, a single slice of cheese broken up to put on the two buns), and a glass of Baileys, around 6:30.  Nothing afterward, not even water.  I was wide awake when my wife got home from Girl's Night at 2am, and having the same symptoms all night, finally getting some sleep around 7:15 am after half a slice of pumpernickel toast.

WTH?  Are these the same types of symptoms other people are having from allium intolerance?  I put Garlic Salt on almost everything, always have.  We add garlic cloves to meals every week or every other week.  Onions aren't a common ingredient for us, but I have always had sauteed onions on my steaks when we go out.  I'm lost and confused on this, and I can't afford another weekend that starts with no sleep!

For a Celiac, you should worry about all the gluten you are eating.  No wonder you have all those issues.

pikakegirl Enthusiast

On the onion intollerence. Yes when i eat them i sweat them out immediately and become itchy all over. One dr said they were sulferic. I ate alot of onions, garlic and olive oil with gluten pasta before i was diagnosed. To this day things i ate with gluten are intollerent for me. After 10 years i have been able to expand my diet from my elimination diet but i attribute that to the healing of my gi.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rick Coen Newbie
21 hours ago, kareng said:

For a Celiac, you should worry about all the gluten you are eating.  No wonder you have all those issues.

Well, I don't have those particular issues the other 6 days of the week.  But that is a fair observation.

• 2 years later...
Khatti Newbie

I have a major onion intolerance rather than an allergy. It won’t kill me to eat them but very unpleasant, severe bloating, cramps, diarrhoea, malaise. But strangely enough, I seem to tolerate garlic better. I can’t eat leeks, shallots or other oniony things... I’ve never been able to even stand the smell. Most times at restaurants I just have to ask the chef what is on the menu that has no onions. It’s the only way I can eat out. Poor you. Not the best intolerance to have. 

trents Grand Master
20 minutes ago, Khatti said:

I have a major onion intolerance rather than an allergy. It won’t kill me to eat them but very unpleasant, severe bloating, cramps, diarrhoea, malaise. But strangely enough, I seem to tolerate garlic better. I can’t eat leeks, shallots or other oniony things... I’ve never been able to even stand the smell. Most times at restaurants I just have to ask the chef what is on the menu that has no onions. It’s the only way I can eat out. Poor you. Not the best intolerance to have. 

You are replying to a thread two years old.

• 6 months later...
Hanuman Das Newbie
On 9/10/2007 at 2:29 PM, confused said:

Does anyone else have an intolerance to onions. I know garlic affects me and now im wondering if onions do. Last night i made some guacamole with onions. Well right after I ate them my stomach cramped so bad, i could not move and then my feet started to tingle and my legs felt funny(like i do after gluten) but i laid in bed with the heating pad and i felt somewhat better when i woke up, which i dont feel better if i have been glutened. So could this be an onion intolerance. I also woke up with bad heart burn but now is better.

Does anyone else go threw this with onions.

paula

I am new to this website and not sure if this is how I reply or not, but I am just learning of my Celiac and along with gluten I cannot consume garlic or onions as it has the exact reaction. Its really hard to eat anything cooked by anyone but myself for garlic and onion seem to be in everything in America. Also I have tried raw and cooked of both and they all seem to effect me the same.

Scott Adams Grand Master
20 hours ago, Hanuman Das said:

I am new to this website and not sure if this is how I reply or not, but I am just learning of my Celiac and along with gluten I cannot consume garlic or onions as it has the exact reaction. Its really hard to eat anything cooked by anyone but myself for garlic and onion seem to be in everything in America. Also I have tried raw and cooked of both and they all seem to effect me the same.

How long ago were you diagnosed? I recall being sensitive to garlic for around 1-2 years after I went gluten-free, and after my gut healed that issue went away.

Hanuman Das Newbie
4 minutes ago, Scott Adams said:

How long ago were you diagnosed? I recall being sensitive to garlic for around 1-2 years after I went gluten-free, and after my gut healed that issue went away.

It’s literally been like a week for me I have been dealing with this for most of my life that I can remember the onion and garlic thing just started happening about two or three years ago that I really started noticing but I have gone fully gluten free now so I will update on my progress!

• 5 months later...
Anniehall Enthusiast
On 9/10/2007 at 4:29 PM, confused said:

Does anyone else have an intolerance to onions. I know garlic affects me and now im wondering if onions do. Last night i made some guacamole with onions. Well right after I ate them my stomach cramped so bad, i could not move and then my feet started to tingle and my legs felt funny(like i do after gluten) but i laid in bed with the heating pad and i felt somewhat better when i woke up, which i dont feel better if i have been glutened. So could this be an onion intolerance. I also woke up with bad heart burn but now is better.

Does anyone else go threw this with onions.

paula

I react to onions and garlic. At one point it would give me cold symptoms (sore throat, runny nose) every time I ate them. I fasted a lot for awhile and now it's back to just a mild rash and or acne. 

Anniehall Enthusiast
On 9/11/2007 at 3:00 PM, Rachel--24 said:

Onions and garlic are very high in sulfur...same with eggs.

Foods high in sulfur are natural chelators of heavy metals such as mercury. Usually people who have problems with heavy metals will experience some reactions to these foods...as they move the metals around.

I had alot of problems with these foods but now that I'm under treatment I can eat eggs everyday and garlic and onions in small amounts are ok. The reactions are stronger if the garlic and onions are eaten raw.

In addition to being natural chelators they also have antibacterial and antifungal properties. Garlic is very effective in killing yeast and other bugs. That can also result in unpleasant symptoms.

If you have alot of intolerances and ongoing symptoms....it could be that these things might be contributing to that. The biggest source of mercury comes from amalgams....70-90% of the mercury burden in our bodies comes from the mercury vapor released from the fillings.

The symptoms you describe from eating the onions is what I used to experience. Its an indication of mercury being mobilized....toxins circulating and then resettling. It doesnt happen to me anymore because I'm taking things which bind with mobilized metals and removes them from the body before they can get redistributed.

If you continue having problems with those foods....definately avoid them.

This is super interesting. I know chlorella is good for removing metals from the body although it may have iodine in it so for people with that sensitivity it might not be the best. Ginger is a good flavorful alternative to garlic in my opinion. 

• 6 months later...
albagaraisa Newbie
On 10/27/2007 at 4:37 AM, Rachel--24 said:

Thanks. 

My session went very well...no adverse reactions.

Most definately chelation should not be taken lightly...and it should only be done by a very knowledgeable Dr. with alot of experience in heavy metal detox/chelation therapy.

I've been working with my Dr.'s for over a year now. They would not begin any kind of chelation until my body was detoxing better, pathways functioning well, etc. Originally I was unable to tolerate *any* supplements so they had to go very slow with me and use alot of alternative testing to find things that would work well for me. My body needed alot of support before attempting any kind of chelation.

Its been a year...I'm doing much better....feeling much stronger and FINALLY I got the green light to do the DMPS today. It was a very small amount...they gave me the mimimum dose and only after first testing a small amount under my tongue. I had to wait 15 minutes to be sure there would be no reaction. Then I had a tiny IV of DMPS. 

I've been on DMSA for about 6 weeks now. I havent had any problems with it.

Serious complications can occur if the Dr.'s dont treat each patient as an individual. If given a higher dose then your body can handle you can get very sick. Also if you cant tolerate the chelator and they dont test to be sure ahead of time....bad reactions can occur.

There are many things that can go wrong if not working with very good Dr.'s. All of my Dr.'s have been wonderful...from the start every Dr. said that I would definately require chelation at some point. It was just a matter of getting me there. Its been baby steps for me but in one year I have actually come a long way.

Hi :) could you please share the name of the doctor who helped you with this? I'm quite desperate. Thanks so much