This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sept. 13 2007: National Celiac Disease Awareness Day

ENF

ENF Enthusiast

On Monday September 10, 2007, for the second year in a row the US Senate designated September 13, 2007 as National Celiac Disease Awareness Day

Open Original Shared Link

110th CONGRESS

1ST SESSION

S. RES. 314

Designating September 13, 2007, as "National Celiac Disease Awareness Day"

IN THE SENATE OF THE UNITED STATES

September 10, 2007

Mr. INHOFE (for himself and Mr. Nelson of Nebraska) submitted the following resolution; which was considered and agreed to:

RESOLUTION

Designating September 13, 2007, as "National Celiac Disease Awareness Day"

Whereas celiac disease affects approximately 1 in every 130 people in the United States, for a total of 3,000,000 people;

Whereas the majority of people with celiac disease have yet to be diagnosed;

Whereas celiac disease is a chronic inflammatory disorder that is classified as both an autoimmune condition and a genetic condition;

Whereas celiac disease causes damage to the lining of the small intestine, which results in overall malnutrition;

Whereas, when a person with celiac disease consumes foods that contain certain protein fractions, that person suffers a cell-mediated immune response that damages the villi of the small intestine, interfering with the absorption of nutrients in food and the effectiveness of medications;

Whereas these problematic protein fractions are found in wheat, barley, rye, and oats, which are used to produce many foods, medications, and vitamins;

Whereas because celiac disease is a genetic disease, there is an increased incidence of celiac disease in families with a known history of celiac disease;

Whereas celiac disease is underdiagnosed because the symptoms can be attributed to other conditions and are easily overlooked by doctors and patients;

Whereas, as recently as 2000, the average person with celiac disease waited 11 years for a correct diagnosis;

Whereas 1/2 of all people with celiac disease do not show symptoms of the disease;

Whereas celiac disease is diagnosed by tests that measure the blood for abnormally high levels of the antibodies of immunoglobulin A, anti-tissue transglutaminase, and IgA anti-endomysium antibodies;

Whereas celiac disease can only be treated by implementing a diet free of wheat, barley, rye, and oats, often called a ``gluten-free diet'';

Whereas a delay in the diagnosis of celiac disease can result in damage to the small intestine, which leads to an increased risk for malnutrition, anemia, lymphoma, adenocarcinoma, osteoporosis, miscarriage, congenital malformation, short stature, and disorders of skin and other organs;

Whereas celiac disease is linked to many autoimmune disorders, including thyroid disease, systemic lupus erythematosus, type 1 diabetes, liver disease, collagen vascular disease, rheumatoid arthritis, and Sjogren's syndrome;

Whereas the connection between celiac disease and diet was first established by Dr. Samuel Gee, who wrote, ``if the patient can be cured at all, it must be by means of diet'';

Whereas Dr. Samuel Gee was born on September 13, 1839; and

Whereas the Senate is an institution that can raise awareness in the general public and the medical community of celiac disease: Now, therefore, be it

Resolved, That the Senate--

(1) designates September 13, 2007, as ``National Celiac Disease Awareness Day'';

(2) recognizes that all people of the United States should become more informed and aware of celiac disease;

(3) calls upon the people of the United States to observe the date with appropriate ceremonies and activities; and

(4) respectfully requests the Secretary of the Senate to transmit a copy of this resolution to the Celiac Sprue Association, the American Celiac Society, the Celiac Disease Foundation, the Gluten Intolerance Group of North America, and the Oklahoma Celiac Support Group No. 5 of the Celiac Sprue Association.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gdobson Explorer

That is the coolest! I wish I had known sooner. I'm sure I could have done something for my son's school.

Ridgewalker Contributor

Ohh, I wish I'd known earlier too, for the same reason! Darn. It said for the second year in a row... Does that mean it's not permanent? Hmm... Man, I wish I'd known about this before.

Well, Next year!

-Sarah

Acersma Rookie

I think I may send it on to friends and family. I can't seem to get the point across to them yet don't want to shove it down their throats. Need to do it tactfully...

Jody

Ridgewalker Contributor

I was just looking for more info on this, and found that October is Celiac Disease Awareness Month.

Open Original Shared Link

-Sarah

Nikki'smom Apprentice

I found out the day before and told my newly diagnosed dd who decided she wanted to talk about it with her 2nd grade class! Thankfully her teacher thought it would be a great idea! I was so proud of her!

Very cool about October!

Archived