This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

N00b Questions I Can't Find Answers To...

OhNoes

OhNoes Rookie

1.) A reaction to even the SMELL of bagels??

The other day I stopped in to Einstein Bros to pick up some bagels for my husband. While in line I watched as people carried their trays of sandwiches, panini, and bagels back to their tables to eat. I began feeling nauseated. By the time I got through the line and paid for my half-dozen, I thought I was going to throw up. I made it out to the car, almost in tears. After that it was several hours more before the nausea subsided and I could eat anything.

Nothing like this has ever happened before, and as I have only been gluten-free for 7 days now, I'm pretty confused.

2.) What can I expect at the start of going gluten-free?

My eyes are puffy with dark circles and I am much more tired than usual. I am more prone to depression and anger. These are things I haven't experienced since childhood. On the upside, all my gastrointestinal symptoms have lessened or vanished.

My mom thinks I may be experiencing "die off" of a previous population explosion of naughty bacteria from when I was eating gluten.

3.) Does a gluten-free diet affect menstruation?

4.) At what age do the effects of eating gluten begin to do permanent damage?

I'm 27 and worried at what I have done to my poor intestines over the years.

5.) How long before I can reintroduce milk products into my diet?

Right now I'm lactose intolerant, but I've read that can go away once the tips of the villi have had time to heal. How long is usually long enough?

*edit* -found 6 mos to a year is typical.

Thanks for all your help and tips. Thanks for sharing your wisdom and experience with me! I REALLY appreciate it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac3270 Collaborator
1.) A reaction to even the SMELL of bagels??

The other day I stopped in to Einstein Bros to pick up some bagels for my husband. While in line I watched as people carried their trays of sandwiches, panini, and bagels back to their tables to eat. I began feeling nauseated. By the time I got through the line and paid for my half-dozen, I thought I was going to throw up. I made it out to the car, almost in tears. After that it was several hours more before the nausea subsided and I could eat anything.

Inhalation -- it affects some people and not others...it probably affect you...you inhaled the flour or something.

2.) What can I expect at the start of going gluten-free?

Symptoms don't go away immediately...and sometimes take a long time...I have been on the diet for 9 months and still get sick.....your symptoms might vanish instantaneously or might stick around for awhile...it depends on the person and often, how long the celiac has been untreated.

4.) At what age do the effects of eating gluten begin to do permanent damage?

There's no age, because if you develop celiac at age 80 and find it a month later, it won't have done much damage. If you find it at 40 and have had it since a child, it will have caused a lot more damage....i don't know about the years exactly.

as for #5....just experiment...try a month, then reintroduce a tiny bit, see how your system reacts, and act accordingly.

OhNoes Rookie

Thx celiac3270. It really does help IMMENSELY to know there are others out there who have lived in this strange Celiac world, survived, and are so kind about sharing stuff they've learned. Thank you!

btw, Hubby has volunteered to pick up his own bagels from now on. hehe

Archived