• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Alternating Diarrhea & Constipation Since Gluten Free

5 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. I have to be brief here because I do not have much time to post so if more info is needed or if anyone has questions I can pos more details at a later time. The short version is, i have been gluten free for a while. For years, I have suffered from chronic diarrhea, long beofre I knew I had Celiac. Now I am alternating between severe diarrhea and severe constipation, never being "regular". I never used to have that problem. It was always strictly diarrhea. Any idea what could cause this? Anyone else have this? Any advice especially for coping with the constipation as this is new to me nad quite uncomfortable? Thanks in advance!

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

I am the opposite, I was constipated for years and it got to a really bad point of no movements for 2 weeks. Now on Gluten Free I started having diarrhea. I figured out my diet wasn't balanced, I was eating too many fruits and drinking too much juice because my sensitive stomach didn't want anything else. Now I'm trying to add more chicken and rice and corn tortillas until my appointment with my dietitian can help me map out a plan.

Maybe look at the things you are eating. It may not be related to Celiac, but just your diet.

I think during the early healing process, a lot of strange, new intestinal things can happen.

You can try taking some fiber (although this doesn't agree with some individuals, so be careful about adding it to see how your body responds) that is gentle, gluten free, such as Citricel or ground flax seeds and see if that helps. Things might get better after several months' healing time.

Also, it happens frequently that some new food intolerances tend to pop up their ugly little heads during the healing phase. Diary products and soy are two of the big ones to watch out for. You might need to avoid them entirely for awhile. Some people end up just avoiding them forever.

Hope it's better soon. My gut didn't find a normal regular routine for about 18 months.

I would cut out all dairy - & do not add in soy because it could also become a problem.

The top problems after gluten are dairy, soy, eggs & the nightshade family tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, egg plant... Some people have problems with legumes they are a high lectin food. I have cut them out of my diet, now that I am eating more Paleo. remember Peanuts are a Legume, I have switched to almond butter - much better for you...

sometimes when people go gluten-free they start eating more potatoes - really not a good idea, try sweet potatoes instead & try to eat meat at most meals or as a snack with fruit. If you do not eat some meat with fruit for a snack try nuts & a fruit.

& yes, your system could be adjusting to all the new foods...

you should not be eating any of the gluten-free goodies like brownies etc, until you are all healed... that does include the gluten-free pastas etc etc...

eat a few things at a time & see how you do before adding another food.

think plain foods - like a roast with carrots & onions maybe serve with some steamed broccoli or a salad

I think during the early healing process, a lot of strange, new intestinal things can happen.

You can try taking some fiber (although this doesn't agree with some individuals, so be careful about adding it to see how your body responds) that is gentle, gluten free, such as Citricel or ground flax seeds and see if that helps. Things might get better after several months' healing time.

Also, it happens frequently that some new food intolerances tend to pop up their ugly little heads during the healing phase. Diary products and soy are two of the big ones to watch out for. You might need to avoid them entirely for awhile. Some people end up just avoiding them forever.

Hope it's better soon. My gut didn't find a normal regular routine for about 18 months.

This is good news, I'm just over 6 months and still bouncing from one extreme to another. At this point I feel so much better I don't really care but it would be nice to regulate. I will try the almond butter, peanut butter with cottonseed oil, that's most of them, is a problem for me. The paleo diet is very good.

Ads by Google: