This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The View..jenny Mc Carthy Again..autism Connection

Judyin Philly

Cheri A Contributor
Western medicine isn't doing anything for Autism and they arent doing anything for the adults who are chronically ill. Its about time that someone is demanding acknowledgement from the medical community and taking it to the media.

The only way change is going to take place is if people dont continue to settle for the BS that the medical community has been dishing out for so long now.

Rachel ~ ITA with you on this!

When we were at the end of our rope two years ago with Carleigh's health issues, I found an allergist three hours away that treats with sublingual therapy (drops under the tongue). This has been done in Europe many years succesfully treating people with allergies. Combined with eliminating gluten, she is feeling much better.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Rachel ~ ITA with you on this!

When we were at the end of our rope two years ago with Carleigh's health issues, I found an allergist three hours away that treats with sublingual therapy (drops under the tongue). This has been done in Europe many years succesfully treating people with allergies. Combined with eliminating gluten, she is feeling much better.

Along with the diet restrictions I'm mainly doing alternative/biomedical treatments for my health issues. Alot of it is similar to what McCarthy has done with her son. My Dr.'s specialize in chronic disease as well as autism....since working with them I have made alot of improvement. :)

I'm glad your daughter is feeling better too. :)

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular
I agree that the vaccines play a role but it would not be difficult for them to rule out vaccinations as a direct cause since there are other triggers...and not every child with Autism has been vaccinated.

Some children are born already showing signs of Autism and some parents who have chosen not to vaccinate their children have not been able to prevent autism from occurring.

Yes, but I don't think vaccines can be ruled out as a factor since the parents, especially the mothers, likely HAVE been vaccinated, and if the vaccine is still "live" in the mother while she is pregnant, it can cross the placenta.

When I was pregnant with my oldest son, my doctor was very angry that I hadn't been given an MMR before getting pregnant--he insisted on giving an MMR to all his women patients who were trying to get pregnant, and if the titer he did on me while pregnant had been negative, he would have insisted on giving me an MMR while I was pregnant. Apparently, this was standard practice in the '90's, at least here in PA.

Who knows, maybe being given a titer while pregnant could trigger something...

Rachel--24 Collaborator
When I was pregnant with my oldest son, my doctor was very angry that I hadn't been given an MMR before getting pregnant--he insisted on giving an MMR to all his women patients who were trying to get pregnant, and if the titer he did on me while pregnant had been negative, he would have insisted on giving me an MMR while I was pregnant. Apparently, this was standard practice in the '90's, at least here in PA.

Women who are pregnant should not get an MMR....its not recommended. Hopefully most Dr.'s would know that. Of course...as we all know...there are way too many uninformed Dr's out there who make very bad decisions. :(

Pregnancy-Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or if you may become pregnant within 3 months after receiving this vaccine. Although adequate studies have not been done in either humans or animals and problems have not been shown to occur, use of measles, mumps, and rubella vaccine during pregnancy, or becoming pregnant within 3 months after receiving the measles, mumps, and rubella vaccine, is not recommended.

Because the natural measles infection has been shown to increase the chance of birth defects and other problems, it is thought that the live virus vaccine may cause similar problems. Mumps vaccine may infect the placenta, although the vaccine has not been shown to infect the fetus or to cause birth defects.

Rubella vaccine crosses the placenta. However, the Centers for Disease Control observed more than 200 women who received the vaccine within 3 months before or after becoming pregnant and those women gave birth to normal babies.

As far as a cause for these children having weakened immune systems at birth I'm leaning toward Borrelia...the bacteria that causes Lyme Disease. Up to 90% of Autistic kids (that were tested) have been positive for Lyme. Most of these kids are born with the infection...it does cross the placenta. In most cases the mother is asymptomatic and not aware of any exposure to the bacteria....but when tested she is positive.

Borrelia can sit at the blood brain barrier and is considered the "gatekeeper" to let in other infections. This is where the live viruses can easily access the brain in a child who has a Borrelia infection and as a result is immunosuppressed.

The long-term effects of congenital Borrelia complex could hamper the body's ability to mount a significant, timely, and typical response to vaccine viruses. This would explain the higher incidences of reactions to vaccinations in children with autism.

There is one study underway which is looking into a Lyme/Autism connection. If the results suggest that there is a connection....hopefully there will be more funding for furthur research into this link.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

I work for the CTV affiliate in Calgary. The script for the VIDEO report that goes with JudyinPhilly's web report is below. I watched the story last night, and was pleased until I saw Genevieve's standup. I used bold for emphasis in the quote below. I wonder if people who saw the video may focus more on Genvieve's standup rather than the anecdotal information from Guilio's mom and Jenny McCarthy. I took out all of the video directions, so anything surrounded by (( )) is a clip of a mom, Jenny, an offical spokesperson, or the reporter.

IT'S A LINE OF THINKING THAT'S GAINING POPULARITY WITH MANY PARENTS WHO ARE DEALING WITH AUTISM ... A DEVELOPMENTAL DISABILITY THAT AFFECTS ONE IN EVERY ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY CHILDREN. SOME PARENTS SAY THAT A DAIRY AND GLUTEN-FREE DIET REDUCES THE SYMPTOMS. MANY EXPERTS ARE ON SIDE. AND THEY'RE CALLING ON OTTAWA TO CONDUCT MORE RESEARCH TO PROVE THE CONNECTION BEYOND ANY DOUBT. CTV'S GENEVIEVE BEAUCHEMIN REPORTS.

[TAKE VTR] (***RPT***)

giulio decaria is now twelve years old ... an energetic boy ... he was diagnosed with autism when he was nearly five.

and his mom says he could hardly talk ... until she cut wheat protein and dairy out of his diet.

((i swear, within a week my son started to speak more))

it's a food fad of sorts ... spreading amongst parents of autistic children ...

and feeding the frenzy of late ... actress jenny mccarthy.

her son evan was diagnosed with autism when he was two years old ... she's promoting her new book about that journey now ...

and talking about keeping dairy ... and gluten ... found in wheat and other grains off his plate.

((IN TWO WEEKS HE DOUBLED HIS WORDS AND HIS FOCUS WAS BETTER AND HIS EYE CONTACT WAS BACK SO I KNEW I WAS ON THE RIGHT TRACT TO FINDING A TREATMENT FOR MY SON))

it's anectodal evidence ... not backed up by any credible scientific evidence.

but some experts were on parliament hill ... saying autism is a public health crisis ... and it's time for more research into the link.

((i think we are looking at is a transition from behaviour disorder and brain disorder to a whole body condition))

and that means investing money to study whether in some children ... what happens in the gastro-intestinal system has an impact on behaviour.

dr. derek mcfabe's research is a step in that direction ... it's basic studies on rats ... but he suggests it is giving a hint that some food may be indirectly linked to autism.

((it found a plausible link between digestive sytem, and the capacity of a compound to affect the brain))

autism canada says an increasing number of children are diagnosed with autism ... and so ... studying diet and the disease ... is crucial.

((wonderful to see that scientists are following up on what parents are seeing firsthand))

((others worry parents desperate to help their children might place too much hope on an unproven theory.

but ... the experts who gathered in ottawa ... say their goal is to provide more information to parents so they can decide whether switching their diet is worthwhile.

genevieve beauchemin ctv news montreal.))

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

thanks Linda.

If you work for the station...do you happen to know this woman you quoted in the thread? Just courious.

I went back and found the link and it has the article and on the right side of the page is a link to the video.

Open Original Shared Link

I just put the article so people wouldn't have to go get the link.............missed the video........but just watched it now. Seems they have support but for the reporter......hummmmmmmmmmmmmm?

If Parliament is looking that's good tho.

what do you folks think?

Judy

EDIT.......JUST WENT BACK AND WATCHED IT AGAIN...............NOT HAPPY WITH THIS REPORTERS ATTITUDE WHICH,,,,,,,,,I THOUGHT SHOULDN'T BE PROFESSIONALLY INTERJECTED ..........IMO........

THEN I READ SOME OF THE RELATED ARTICLES..............OH MY..................

RACHEL.........SOME WILL MAKE YOU 'BOIL' MY DEAR FRIEND.

HERE IS ONE ON THE CDC LATEST REPORT.............IMPUT FOLK...?

Open Original Shared Link

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

No, Judy, I don't know anyone in the story. I work (behind the scenes) in Calgary, and Genevieve is on the other side of the country in Montreal. I just thought it was important to mention that in the video report she kind of downplayed the link between autism and diet.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
No, Judy, I don't know anyone in the story. I work (behind the scenes) in Calgary, and Genevieve is on the other side of the country in Montreal. I just thought it was important to mention that in the video report she kind of downplayed the link between autism and diet.

THANKS LINDA....

I SO AGREE WITH YOU .................YOU BET YOUR BIPPY SHE DID..........GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

THANKS FOR LETTING US KNOW SOME GEOGRAPHY LESSON TOO :lol:

I GUESS I'M NAIVE.........I REALLY DID THINK THAT REPORTERS SHOULD KEEP PERSONAL OPINIONS OFF THE REPORTS............................BUT.............THAT'S MY PERSONAL OPINION :lol: AND I'M STICKING TO IT.

KEEP YOU EYES ON THIS FOR US WILL YOU?

I FOUND THIS ON SOME CELIAC REPORTS I GET.........DON'T EVEN REMEMBER WHAT LIST NOW.

FOUND IT

Google News Alert for: gluten free

Experts suggest link between autism and diet

CTV.ca - Canada

Many parents have reported anecdotal evidence suggesting that a dairy and gluten-free diet may reduce the symptoms of autism. Fannie Decaria says at one ...

See all stories on this topic

rinne Apprentice

JUDY, I THINK OF CTV IN CANADA AS LIKE FOX IN THE STATES, I TAKE EVERYTHING THEY SAY AS VERY BIASED.

I THOUGHT IT WAS INTERESTING THAT THE AUTISM ASSOCIATION DIDN'T WANT THE CDC DOING ANYTHING AS THEY DON'T TRUST THE CDC. THAT SAYS TO ME THAT THEY HAVEN'T BEEN CORRUPTED AS IS SO OFTEN THE CASE WITH GROUPS THAT START OUT GRASS ROOTS.

I HAVE NO REAL CONFIDENCE THAT ANY OF THESE LARGE PLAYERS, WHO BENEFIT FINANCIALLY FROM THIS , ARE GOING TO EVER SUPPORT DIET AS A REAL TREATMENT UNLESS THEY CAN PRESCRIBE THE DIET AND CHARGE FOR IT.

I SAW JENNY ON OPRAH, THE VIEW AND LARRY KING AND WAS IMPRESSED BY HER CLARITY AND PRESENCE. PEOPLE CAN SAY WHAT THEY WANT BUT ANYONE REALLY LOOKING WILL SEE A MOTHER WHO HAS RECLAIMED HER CHILD FROM A SYSTEM THAT WOULD HAVE SEEN HIM DESTROYED AND THAT IS THE TRUTH THEY CAN'T DENY.

GO JENNY. :)

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
JUDY, I THINK OF CTV IN CANADA AS LIKE FOX IN THE STATES, I TAKE EVERYTHING THEY SAY AS VERY BIASED.

2. I THOUGHT IT WAS INTERESTING THAT THE AUTISM ASSOCIATION DIDN'T WANT THE CDC DOING ANYTHING AS THEY DON'T TRUST THE CDC. THAT SAYS TO ME THAT THEY HAVEN'T BEEN CORRUPTED AS IS SO OFTEN THE CASE WITH GROUPS THAT START OUT GRASS ROOTS.

3. I HAVE NO REAL CONFIDENCE THAT ANY OF THESE LARGE PLAYERS, WHO BENEFIT FINANCIALLY FROM THIS , ARE GOING TO EVER SUPPORT DIET AS A REAL TREATMENT UNLESS THEY CAN PRESCRIBE THE DIET AND CHARGE FOR IT.

I SAW JENNY ON OPRAH, THE VIEW AND LARRY KING AND WAS IMPRESSED BY HER CLARITY AND PRESENCE. PEOPLE CAN SAY WHAT THEY WANT BUT ANYONE REALLY LOOKING WILL SEE A MOTHER WHO HAS RECLAIMED HER CHILD FROM A SYSTEM THAT WOULD HAVE SEEN HIM DESTROYED AND THAT IS THE TRUTH THEY CAN'T DENY.

GO JENNY. :)

Renni.............thanks so much as this say it all to me..........JUDY, I THINK OF CTV IN CANADA AS LIKE FOX IN THE STATES, I TAKE EVERYTHING THEY SAY AS VERY BIASED.

Sorry Linda.........it's kinda a 'in joke' in USA but please :( don't take it personal since you work for them. :lol::rolleyes: We know you're with us on this topic :lol:

#2. & 3--- ditto 100%

I've seen all the shows too and I agree with last paragraph.

No one is going to stop our Jenny.........In the video she's so careful to keep saying..............ya da ya da ..'NOW THIS WORKED FOR " MY CHILD" I'm saying what worked for my child...so PC but into days world might keep some of the negative Nellies off her back.

thanks Renni

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

jUST HAD TO POST THIS WHEN I SAW IT TODAY.....

IT'S OLD NEWS TO US...... BUT I HAD TO LAUGH AT THE QUESTION. :lol: LOVED THE PHARMACIST RESPONCE AND IT WAS A GOOD OVER VIEW.

Dear Pharmacist

Q: I saw Jenny McCarthy on "Oprah" talking about her son's autism and how changing his diet helped him. She talked about a gluten-free diet. How can gluten matter to the brain so much? We're just talking about a loaf of breadE.C., Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

A: Gluten is the protein in wheat products, found in most breads, pastas and pastries. It's also found in rye, barley and some oats (because oats are often milled in factories that process other grains and get contaminated). Most people eat all these whole grains, so what's the big deal?

Such foods are a big deal if you're sensitive to gluten, like Elizabeth Hasselbeck from "The View" and millions of other people in the U.S. with neurological diseases or intestinal problems like Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) or Celiac sprue. In sensitive people, gluten causes a bad reaction, where immune system cells find their way out of the intestine, hitch a ride in the bloodstream and glue themselves to various organs in your body, especially the brain and spinal cord. Your body then attacks the "foreigner" now glued to your own tissue, hence the term "auto-immune" or "attack of the self."

There are many auto-immune disorders such as Lupus, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Sjogrens Syndrome, Multiple Sclerosis, Graves' disease, Hashimoto's and Rheumatoid Arthritis. Some experts feel strongly that an underlying allergy to gluten (or the dairy protein, casein) could be a source of neurological insult and auto-immune dysfunction.

In the case of autism, some experts theorize that the condition results from brain insult from vaccinations, or mercury (thimerosal), the preservative in vaccinations. Often, putting autistic children on gluten-free and casein-free diets helps ease symptoms. Anyone with food sensitivities or auto-immune conditions should visit livingwithout.com (they also publish a magazine). Those with Celiac sprue should visit csaceliacs.org or glutenfreeforum.com.

A good online resource for gluten-free recipes is gluten free.com. You can buy gluten-free foods easily at health food stores, Whole Foods Market and Wild Oats Market, or online from Glutino, De Boles, Tinkyada, Orgran, Pamela's Products, Mona's, Ener-G and Bakery on Main. There's a longer list of gluten-free companies and more information about all of this on my Web site (dearpharmacist.com), including popular restaurants that offer gluten-free menus.

So how can a loaf of bread be one man's meal and another man's poison? Follow the trail of crumbs to the brain, and see how destructive gluten (and casein) can be to sensitive people. To test for these sensitivities, ask your doctor for an Anti-gliadin IgA Antibody test.

This information is not intended to treat, cure or diagnose your condition. Suzy Cohen is the author of "The 24-Hour Pharmacist." For more information, visit dearpharmacist.com.

jerseyangel Proficient

Great answer from the Pharmasist :D

Archived