This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ugh New Here

Nannabird

Nannabird Newbie

I just recently got diagnosed with celiacs and started the gluten free diet 5 weeks ago. tonight I thought i was eating Prego traditional pasta sauce and after a couple of bites, my face flared bright red and got hot and now i am all broke out on my face and feel funny :( This is the first time i have messed up, does this mean i start back over to square 1?? How will this hurt me :( My face ugh its soo hot and red. I wish they would start listing on labels the major allergens. Do any of you know if they have any plans to do this soon? I am so frustrated with this whole thing. Any advice or tips or encouragement that i wont have to start back over (i felt terrible the first week of coming off gluten). Have any of you accidentally messed up?

Thanks so much

Hope to get to know you all better

Dianna

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

Hello Dianna,

welcome in our gluten free forum. I feel with you, because i just had a gluten accident with Amstel light yesterday evening. I just got out of bed and feel a little better now, but i'm still "gaggy". But due to my feeling bad my husband was really romantic and cared and even made me a glutenfree pizza with an icecream afterwards. Makes you wanna be sick a little more often...lol :rolleyes:

Oh well, do you already have a glutenfree list? They have a lot of different lists here on the forum and they helped me a lot. I don't know where you are from, but if you are from Europe, they just put it into law, that every manufacturer has to put everything on the label, no matter how small the amount of something in that food is. And every manufacturer has to adjust their labels until September 2005 or November 2005. I can't remember exactly anymore. Well, since i lived in germany, i know, they do that in germany for sure. But i also heard, that it's every country in the EU. But i don't know, if that's true.

I live in the states now and i'm quite frustrated. They should do that here, too. I mean, if Kraft can do it, why not everybody else?

Greetings, Stef

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

Oh, it's me again,

I forgot to answer your other question. Which is a very good question. Do you have to start all over again with your diet? I think, it depends on how far you already came with your diet. I mean, if your off gluten for like a week or so and then your diet mistake happens, then i think its most likely, that you ruin everything. But i can tell you from me that, if you are gluten free for a few month already, that it will damage your body, but you don't have to start new all over again. Yes, i had diarrhea today and my guts still hurt, but i'm not nearly as bad as in July, when i started. That means, you still should be very careful not to make any mistakes. But i think it's with everybody at the beginning, that you make those mistakes, just because you really don't know, where there's hidden gluten in and where isn't. So if it happens, don't get all that worked out about it. Yes, it is terrible and it hurts, but think about it this way. You won't make the same mistake twice, you can only learn from your mistake. So next time, don't eat Prego traditional pasta sauce anymore, when you know, it's hurting you. And nobody's gonna rip your head off, if it happens, don't be too hard on yourself. Just learn from it. It can only get better.

So, if you have any more questions, just post them on here. All the nice people in here try to help out. (i don't know, what i would have done without you guys :D )

And then i only can say, i hope you get better soon.

Stef

lovegrov Collaborator

Prego should be gluten-free. I think they'll list any gluten but check with them yourself.

richard

darlindeb25 Collaborator
;) i have checked and only prego traditional is gluten-free--none of the rest of their line is---much of ragu is, so maybe try it next time and no dianna, you are still gluten free, you just made a mistake and yes, that mistake made you sick and may have set you back a little, but you havent lost all the good work you are striving for--just a little set back ;) ---we celiacs must read, read, read and :( still we miss things--i have been gluten-free now for over 3 years and i glutened myself for 2 weeks unknowingly :angry: --i didnt get physically ill so i didnt realize i was doing it---the strange thing is <_< ---i didnt get diarrhea like i always do when glutened--this was barley and what did happen, my aches in my hips came back--as the barley left my system, so did the aches :) so keep at it--just look at this as another learning experience :lol: deb
Nannabird Newbie

Thanks guys for answering my questions. I did get sick last night but this morning i feel a little better. This disease is so hard. I feel better Joint wise and depression wise, but my stomach is still bothering me most of the time. I think its because i am allergic to milk also adn have been eating foods with that in there because if i eliminated that Id have nothing to eat. Thanks so much :) for all your help!!

tarnalberry Community Regular

Going Gluten-free Casein-free takes some doing, but it doesn't have to be that hard. Take a look around the GFCFdiet.com site, and generally google around for some tips. It's not an uncommon diet, and there are a couple yahoo groups that you may find helpful as well. (I've been gluten-free for ~15 months, and Gluten-free Casein-free for ~4 months.)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nannabird Newbie

what is Gluten-free Casein-free ??? and does the C part also have gluten?? Does it make you feel bad also having the C??

Archived