• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes

Minneapolis-st.paul Will Be Their Oct13-15

Rate this topic

2 posts in this topic

Going to watch Illinois play Minnesota in vollyball looking for some places to eat.

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Serah

• Topics

• The UC is a whole different beast. I’ve been eliminating tons of food. Meat is definitely good to me. I can eat all the steak, chicken, and pork without problems. I agree that paleo would be great for me. I’m gonna look more into their recipes.  Have you had any problems with fruits and veggies causing flare ups? I make smoothies with mixed berries, banana, gluten free oatmeal, spinach, and a splash of juice. It seems to be a cause. Maybe it’s the high fiber? I’m not sure. That and caffeine. I’m having a hard time eliminating caffeine though  
    • Pain wise a glutening celiac gets me more central gut pain and much worse with sharpness, urge to vomit, gurgles etc. UC is more along the the outside edges of your abdomen from the sides, lower area around the belt line, and upper area right under the rib cage, and is more of a boat and pleasure pain like your intestines are huge feeling.  UC triggers alot more gas, and makes you want to lie down I get the urge to massage and press on the pressure areas as it seems to help.
      Timing wise Celiac glutening I notice within 20-60mins and main vomiting starts in 1-3hours after eating it. UC flare you get it like 4-18hours or later depending on transit time of your food. A glutening will normally result in both a celiac reaction and a later UC reaction. For me a gluten CC or consumption issue also causes neurological symptoms, this is not true for some people but for me I also have a gluten ataxia, so the anxiety, panic, fog, mind looping, numb hands, loss of coordination or straight up motor loss is definite sign for me. Others will have to keep track with a food diary to nail down there own as every person can have a slightly different reaction.

I also find with UC I do not directly vomit, Sometimes with UC it can trigger constipation and if not remedied in 12-24 hours leads to m system backing up and vomiting. Celiac can also cause me constipation but there is a slight difference in where it seems to get stuck at first. Hard to explain but you can sort of feel it. Also I find a gluten celiac response will result in a week or more of constipation issues. Starting mid section then moving to the outside gut area and  but some people do not get these and get D instead. So this is not very reliable.

UC flare ups for me with my damage also always have bloody stools, worse flare ups its not just streaks but clots. Red and Dark red show it is in the large intestines. If you get tar like black  and red it is either a sign it is way back in the large intestine or in the stomach or small intestine. This makes my Anemia SOO much worse. Imagine how you feel with the loss of blood coupled with inability to efficiently absorb nutrients like iron and magnesium

Thing to recall is UC is mostly the large intestine while celiac is mostly the small, so symptoms and trying to get the feeling of where the problem is can help.  Also if you get a glutening expect to have the UC flare up right after the celiac flare up.

NOTE it is hard for me to say still, on the exact details and clarity, it has been since june of last year that I had a major gluten consumption issue. UC I get more regular but without the direct comparison in a while my memory is a bit iffy. Just trying to recall those exact pains and feelings from that last time. Also UC seems to wax and wane in and out while almost always being present for months in the background you just feel a bit off in the gut. SO many triggers, I felt that for years I swear til I went to this keto diet and dropped all fruit, sugar, carbs, and grains. Could have been the anemia, but I think it was more of a combination of the inflammation, bleeding, gas, and just being uncomfortable.
    • Hi!  I wasn’t sure where to post this inquiry so I’m sorry if it is in the wrong place!  My blood work was negative for celiac although biopsy was suspicious.  I have severe joint pain and GI issues so have decided to eliminate all gluten to see if that helps. I hear I may need to supplement my diet with vitamins to make up for what I’m missing, but I don’t know what vitamins they are!  Can anyone help? Thanks, Sarah
    • Hello everyone Thank you so much for all your contributions and tips, I'm sorry for my absence but I've had a big project deadline to complete. Over all, I think things are on the mend for me too.  I was quite cynical at the doctors' approach at first. I'd have much rather had a scope to find out what was happening, instead of being prescribed three months of omemprazole or zantac to see if it helped.  Unfortunately the gen on the zantac contraindictaions list stipulated that zantac should only be prescribed if your doctor is sure what is wrong with you, as it might otherwise be covering up cancer!  Those aren't the things a hypochondriac wants to read!  Anyway,  during this that time I've taken one months of omeprazole (20mg) and as that gave me D I changed to two months of zantac (most days only 75mg a day, but doubling the dose on odd occasions when the burn seemed to come back).  During much of this period I've tried to keep my diet low in fat, spicy food, drinking very little caffeine, drinking strong camomile and slipper elm, and I think a key help has not eating for a 12 hour stretch overnight because I think that really helps the stomach heal.  I hope my system is finally recovering and hope to come off the zantac towards the end of this month.  It is hard to phase these things out slowly when you are already on the minimum dose, but all the tips about marshmallow, licorice and slippery elm etc will no doubt come very helpful then!   I have come to the conclusion that this is a new weakness in my system and I'll have to be very careful to avoid gastritis in the future, by no longer taking asprin (unless the doctor ever tells me I have to), not over doing fat, greasy food, etc.  The last time I drank some sparkling wine or fizzy drinks was awful, so I shall avoid them too. Throughout this time probiotics have helped me with the C, upper left quadrant pain  and wind that the zantac seems to have produced! And of course all the help from you guys. Will keep you posted Whitepaw on life post-zantac!
    • Ennis, can you tell us how to tell the difference between a UC flare and a glutening? It must be confusing for folks diagnosed with both to know at first which it is that is happening.
  • Upcoming Events