This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Casein Intolerant And I Ate Cottage Cheese

SUZ42

SUZ42 Explorer

I am casein intolerant and have gone very light on the casein, but have not given it up completely. Last March I went gluten free and casein light. For the first time since March I ate cottage cheese. Only 1/2 cup. Within minutes my tongue was sore (geographic tongue) and today I have undereye bags, hand is numb, lump in throat, chest/back pressure, rapid pounding heart beat and cramping stomach (not intestines). Very same symptoms as when I was gluttened! Could the cottage cheese have done this? The only other possibility would be the egg drop soup (I gave in to a craving) I ate from the chinese place the day before yesterday. But what could that have in it? Anyone have ideas about casein symptoms? Are they the same as Gluten symptoms? :(

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mom23boys Contributor
I am casein intolerant and have gone very light on the casein, but have not given it up completely. Last March I went gluten free and casein light. For the first time since March I ate cottage cheese. Only 1/2 cup. Within minutes my tongue was sore (geographic tongue) and today I have undereye bags, hand is numb, lump in throat, chest/back pressure, rapid pounding heart beat and cramping stomach (not intestines). Very same symptoms as when I was gluttened! Could the cottage cheese have done this? The only other possibility would be the egg drop soup (I gave in to a craving) I ate from the chinese place the day before yesterday. But what could that have in it? Anyone have ideas about casein symptoms? Are they the same as Gluten symptoms? :(

Thanks

Casein symptoms can vary. You may think about getting testing done for casein. It sounds like you had a rather intense reaction.

hathor Contributor

I can tell you from experience that having a lot of casein after not having much can make you sick. I've been on a pretty much vegan diet for years, but had little bits of casein from time to time. (OK, the restaurant put parmesan cheese on my dish, I didn't send it back -- that sort of thing.) At Thanksgiving, I had a slice of cheesecake (this was before I tested as intolerant to casein). I was sick for a week.

Symptoms can vary. My gluten and casein reactions are similar. My soy reaction is subtle. My egg reaction is actually the worst of the bunch. But then people all seem to react in different ways.

However, you could be reacting to the egg drop soup. I googled for recipes and found some contain wheat flour for thickening. Also, could it have contained MSG? Some react rather strongly to that.

I hope you get feeling better.

hathor Contributor

Deletion of inexplicable double post ...

horsegirl Enthusiast

Are you sure the cottage cheese was gluten free? Not all brands are, from research I've done in the past. Also, could the soup have had MSG in it? Maybe that's another sensitivity (or the eggs themselves). Good luck - hope you feel better soon!

7-cody Apprentice
Are you sure the cottage cheese was gluten free? Not all brands are, from research I've done in the past. Also, could the soup have had MSG in it? Maybe that's another sensitivity (or the eggs themselves). Good luck - hope you feel better soon!

I was going to say the same thing.

"Word."

tom Contributor
I am casein intolerant and have gone very light on the casein, but have not given it up completely.

Suz . . .gotta tell ya - I don't understand this at all.

Why not completely?

I've been 100% dairy-free for years and it's a breeze.

I DID recently find that goat cheese is fine for me. It seems pretty common for the casein-intolerant to really just have trouble w/ cow casein.

Every goat cheese I've tried has been fantastic, tho I'm only trying 'fresh' varieties, as opposed to 'aged', but that's due to a different problem w/ mold.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived