This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celebrities With Celiac?

lauderdalehawk44

jkmunchkin Rising Star

So I was just flipping throught the May issue of InStyle and one of the pages of Scene & Heard section, while talking about an event they mentioned the menu and how there was something for everyone including Emmy Rossum, who said she is allergic to gluten.

• 2 weeks later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Smunkeemom Enthusiast
So I was just flipping throught the May issue of InStyle and one of the pages of Scene & Heard section, while talking about an event they mentioned the menu and how there was something for everyone including Emmy Rossum, who said she is allergic to gluten.

don't know if someone posted this yet, but Open Original Shared Link says she has Celiac. :)

danikali Enthusiast

I just saw a story on the History chanel about Hitler and how he was on so many drugs for his 'stomach, idigestion' problems which eventually lead to his all around health. (Body aches, constipation, 'D', gas, etc.)............They didn't say what his diagnosis was because I don't think he ever got one. He was just always taking tons of laxitives and pain killers and the whole story was about Hitler being 'Hitler' (the bad man we all know) because of his illness and possible side effects of all the drugs. It was a theory they were just trying to educate on.

I just thought it was interesting.

Nantzie Collaborator

That would certainly explain some things. Scary.

queenofhearts Explorer

Honestly I'm not sure what this group will do if they even found a celebrity for our cause.

I feel like there are only a small few of us that write letters do reseach, write to manufactures, or speak to people to get the word out about celiac disease. THAT IS WHY NOTHING IS BEING DONE! It is a shame. I just think more should stand up and offer to help. If everyone finds excuses and does NOTHING. Nothing will get done. I have asked for help in several of these projects and no one seems to want to help. I have been on a mission the last 5 years. I spend most all my days since in some way to help celiac disease, I've been on the radio more then several times, I've written letters, (and even have a manuscript to be published) and really would like other to become PRO-ACTIVE, instead of just typing here. I'm sure it's easier to throw stones at me for telling the truth.

I for one would be very interested in taking some action. Is there a politics thread here? (I'm a newbie but I'm feeling more moved to start a revolution by the day-- as I struggle with recalcitrant manufacturers, especially.)

Celiacs of the World, Unite!

Leah

mart Contributor

I live in Miami (a pretty big city) and can't even find a support group to join. I've tried to start my own, but can the people of this city be so "out of it" that they haven't yet discovered that roughly 1 in 100 of them has celiac disease? Anyway, sadly, leadership is not one of my stronger qualities, but if anyone has ideas on how we can join together and make some noise, count me in.

queenofhearts Explorer
I live in Miami (a pretty big city) and can't even find a support group to join. I've tried to start my own, but can the people of this city be so "out of it" that they haven't yet discovered that roughly 1 in 100 of them has celiac disease? Anyway, sadly, leadership is not one of my stronger qualities, but if anyone has ideas on how we can join together and make some noise, count me in.

I live in Raleigh, NC, & I KNOW i'm not alone here... just given the amount of gluten-free that the local Whole Foods offers... BUT...

There's supposedly a support group, but apparently it is inactive since no one answers my messages. (Well, I had one reply, but she said she wasn't active in the group anymore.) I did find one fellow Raleighite on this message board. And just now, I tried to renew a gluten-free cookbook & found it was on order at the library. I'm so desperate, I stuck a note with my e-mail address in the book in the hope that the next borrower would get in touch! I especially need help with eating out; I'm not big on chains & would love to know which of the local spots are gluten-free-friendly & which are certain doom!

Good luck in Miami,

Leah

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest arnelwendy

yOU STATE ABOUT CELEBRITIES

mY DAUGHTER IS A TYPE 1 DIABETIC AND A CELIAC.

10 PERCENT OF TYPE 1 DIABETICS ARE CELIACS.

jDRF SHOULD HELP MORE.

tHEY ARE VERY ACTIVE FOR DIABETES

aUTISTIC CHILDREN DO BETTER ON GLUTTEN FREE DIET.

WE NEED TO BE ACTIVE LIKE THEM.

THEY VISIT LOCAL POLITICANS SENATORS ETC

WE SHOULD DO THE SAME.

I GO TO SUFFOLK CELIAC GROUP IN LI NY

WE RECENTLY HAD A FOOD FAIR ETC 700 PEOPLE SHOWED UP

i FIND THIS BOARD VERY GOOD.

CONTACT NEWSPAPERS TV AND GET THEM TO INFORM PEOPLE OF EFFECTS. SO MORE PEOPLE TEST.

dRS NEED EDUCATION IN IT FIRST.

COLUMBIA IN ny IS HAVING A EVENT FOR REGULAR PEOPLE IN noV 2006 IN NY IT IS SERVING GLUTEN FREE FOOD IT SHOULD BE A GREAT EVENT. MAYBE SOMETHING CAN GET STARTED THERE.

GOOD LUCK :D:lol:

gfp Enthusiast
Hi All! Why would celebrities keep Celiac Disease a secret? It's not like it's a communicable disease nor would it be something that would keep them from getting work. On the contrary, it would keep them in the news as a positive thing , i.e., helping to work towards the good of average Joe celiac person. It would put Celiac Disease in the national forefront - more than any magazine article could. With celebrities being vegans, gluten free would be only another type of diet - much more serious than vegan diet, as that seems to be optional in life. All the celebrities have whims which means that there are things that they MUST have in their dressing rooms or they won't do the movie or show - why not a gluten free celeb? The time has come!

Being a celebrity is a job, heck half of the 'celebreties' seem to just be celebreties because they are celebrities..

They have publicists and their publicists tell them not to admit to anything that someone can bring up in an interview.

How many times have people questioned you about "what happens if....." and refuse to shut up.

The worst is at a dinner table ... so imagine celeb X being interviewed and someone wants to know "what are the symptoms?"

Posh Spice From the spice girls has Celiac and She is always having Babies , Celebrities with Celiac are lucky They have Chefs Cooking for them . Unlike us We stuggle every day reading labels and braving Fast food places at lunch Time

Victoria Beckham is pretty much my idea of a nightmare of an ambasador for ANYTHING ..

Everytime I see her on the TV she makes me ashamed to be from the same country as her.

nikki-uk Enthusiast
Victoria Beckham is pretty much my idea of a nightmare of an ambasador for ANYTHING ..

Everytime I see her on the TV she makes me ashamed to be from the same country as her.

:lol: -and she isn't a coeliac.She's 'wheat free' for whatever reason,I'm not sure.

schuyler Apprentice

:D:lol::D:P:lol::D

I agree

kelliac Rookie

My celiac friends and I always talk about "suspected" celiac celebrities. Here is our list and reasons. We've even tried to contact some to suggest the possibility, but of course, they are difficult to reach. List includes living and dead. Strictly our opinion (not fact). For fun, not seriousness. See if you agree. . .

List #1 - Liz Taylor (short stature, English, broken bones), Sharon Stone (thin, asthma?), Halle Berry (diabetes, Irish mom?, lots of broken bones), Michael J. Fox (short stature, English?Canadian), Lindsay Lohan (red hair, short, asthma?, broken bones), Tommy Hilfiger (sister with MS), Colin Farrell (Irish?), Mickey Rooney (short stature), Donald O'Connor (Irish?), Hitler (which someone already wrote about earlier), Tom Cruise (short stature), Britney Spears (short stature, broken bones), Rosie O'Donnell (Irish, short stature), Seth Green (short stature, red hair), Renee Zellweger (can't remember why we suspected her), Sharon Osbourne (colon cancer, short stature), Kennedys (Jackie, Jack, John Jr., and so forth-various reasons), Grace Kelly and Princesses Caroline and Stephanie (alopecia for Caroline, moods for Stephanie, Irish for Grace). List #2 later. We try to think of short, bald or thin hair, broken bones, red hair, Irish, Dutch, or various backgrounds, moods, teeth, autoimmune diseases, and we come up with this stuff. Too much time on our hands I guess. ;)

debmidge Rising Star
Being a celebrity is a job, heck half of the 'celebreties' seem to just be celebreties because they are celebrities..

They have publicists and their publicists tell them not to admit to anything that someone can bring up in an interview.

How many times have people questioned you about "what happens if....." and refuse to shut up.

The worst is at a dinner table ... so imagine celeb X being interviewed and someone wants to know "what are the symptoms?"

- - - - - - - -

Gosh, like having them figuratively "spill their guts" is a bad thing. The celebrities say and do things that I find replusive and yet talking about having celiac would be in bad taste....too many excuses for this club of overpaid baggage.

I think someone coming "out of the celiac closet" is just the thing we need.

gfp Enthusiast
- - - - - - - -

Gosh, like having them figuratively "spill their guts" is a bad thing. The celebrities say and do things that I find replusive and yet talking about having celiac would be in bad taste....too many excuses for this club of overpaid baggage.

I'm certainly not excusing them but mostly they either respond to public opinion or their publicists.

I for one make every effort NOT to follow anything they do but look on this board with posts about Angelina Joli and Brad Pitt .... now I haven't even opened that thread .. why would I there are probably 20 people on my street with newborn babies if I had an urge to look at one?

Not that Im knocking Joli ... she does some good charity work AND pays her own fares but it is the publics who create celebreties and fickle public opinion that drives them.

Their celebrity is a business and the follow the rules laid down for that business or make less money.

Why did Joe Rowling call herself J. K.. Rowling? because her publicist told her not to give herself a female name since it would deter book sales.

Well depending who. Victoria Beckham? I think not her ignorance and stupidity is projected too accurately .... but the problem is it is just what we need but how much money will it bring the celebrity? This is the only thing that matters to their agents and publicists.

Of course they may be free to disregard the advice but then they may be struck off the publishers lists or maybe they are contractually obliged not to disclose certain things however it the the public that make celebrities and every person who buys "Hello" or any of the other trash magazines.

egardner Newbie

One thing I do know for sure is that "Gluten Free" has swept the celebrity world as a diet. Dr. Phil's wife, Robin, has made many references to her gluten-free diet, and she doesn't have celiac at all. She just uses it as a way to maintain her health. And I know a lot of other celebrities do as well. Just think, when a celbrity is interviewed about how they lose weight, they say they cut out pasta and bread. Now, I know that doesn't qualify as gluten-free, but it just goes to show why there aren't many celebrities out there trumping the celiac card. Lots of them don't consume some of the most harmful offenders for long peiods of time! I did watch a show on TLC called Surviving Motherhood, where a mom was asking for group advice about her son's picky eating habits, he had been diagnosed and would now only eat gluten-free cereal. It was great to see that small hour of exposure time! Plus, I have read quite a few mainstream magazines lately with entire articles on it. We are making slow, but steady progress!

dh204 Apprentice

I read in the New York Times this weekend an article on Jack Black. The article opened up with him at a restaurant with the producer of his latest movie. Apparently, there were at some kind of vegan restaurant and ate wheat free bread. Not really sure that is a sign of celiac, though. I think the whole wheat free diet is very popular and trendy these days. Supposedly it helps you lose weight if you cut out the wheat from your diet (but you are also supposed to cut out stuff like rice, potatoes, etc). I used to work for a well-known fashion photographer who tries to follow this diet (though my ex boss does not suffer from any sort of wheat allergy or intolerance).

• 1 month later...
heathen Apprentice

i've just spent the last 30 minutes or so reading the ENTIRE thread, not because i want dirt on celebrities, but i wanted to feel a little more normal tonight. what can i say, i was craving pizza hut garlic toast with cheese. anyway, i find the dropping of names without actually dropping the names quite comical. i guess we all need validation without betraying too much.

and i agree with the posters on page ? we need oprah. forget dr. phil. as a psychologist of sorts (i have the degree--there i go with the dropping), i think he's not that legitimate, to put it nicely. not that oprah is so much more legitimate, but she's got the edge when it comes to awareness. and awareness is what we need. so we can have celiac... and not a "wheat allergy." and we'll also have the "thing they did on oprah." how cool would we be then. we would be the new "it" disease. diarhhea and all.

beaglemania Rookie

The Phantom of the Opera star Emma Rossum, I believe that's her name has Celiac Disease. I read it from reading an old Teen Vogue it said she was eating just the meat and innards of her sandwich b/c she was allergic to the bread. Which we all know is still bad, b/c the meat's contaminated!!! And that's all it mentioned off her Celiac.

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

-

Guest nini

sorry you were contaminated by the flip of a spatula, I give him kudos for trying at least! (still not gonna give up the name are ya???? LOL!)

angel-jd1 Community Regular
One night he cooked us dinner it was priceless. We had steak and veggies and etc, DaddyO said "...season two steaks", he did. And he was extra careful not to season mine. Halfway into the meal I became reactive, I felt like I was crawling out of my skin I had to leave the table. He was very concerned. A few hours later we/he traced it back to the spatular he used to fllip the steaks -- cross contaminated my steak all by simple accident.

Oh well, he really took notice...and was concerned. Enough to record a song?

I dream of it.

The reality I consider unlikely...

I'm just trying to imagine some lyrics and a rocker singing them. Hummmmmmmmmm "then with the flip of the steak I made her shake , she was so sick, made her skinny as a toothpick.........CEEEEEEELLLLLLIIIIIAACCCCCCCCCCCC" *flip of the hair*

Ya, ok maybe not :P

-Jessica :rolleyes:

lonewolf Collaborator
For fun, not seriousness. See if you agree. . .

List #1 - Liz Taylor (short stature, English, broken bones), Sharon Stone (thin, asthma?), Halle Berry (diabetes, Irish mom?, lots of broken bones), Michael J. Fox (short stature, English?Canadian), Lindsay Lohan (red hair, short, asthma?, broken bones), Tommy Hilfiger (sister with MS), Colin Farrell (Irish?), Mickey Rooney (short stature), Donald O'Connor (Irish?), Hitler (which someone already wrote about earlier), Tom Cruise (short stature), Britney Spears (short stature, broken bones), Rosie O'Donnell (Irish, short stature), Seth Green (short stature, red hair), Renee Zellweger (can't remember why we suspected her), Sharon Osbourne (colon cancer, short stature), Kennedys (Jackie, Jack, John Jr., and so forth-various reasons), Grace Kelly and Princesses Caroline and Stephanie (alopecia for Caroline, moods for Stephanie, Irish for Grace). List #2 later. We try to think of short, bald or thin hair, broken bones, red hair, Irish, Dutch, or various backgrounds, moods, teeth, autoimmune diseases, and we come up with this stuff. Too much time on our hands I guess. ;)

Wait, what am I missing here? Is red hair a possible sign of Celiac? My son is a red head - of course, he is the one we are now testing through Enterolab because we suspect he has it.

Nantzie Collaborator

I think with the red hair it's the Irish connection.

One of the people I suspect is Calista Flockhart. I remember seeing her on Saturday Night Live and thinking how very gray her teeth were. That can be a sign of bulemia, but bulemia could also be, in a round-about way, a sign of celiac. I think I remember her saying, after that one picture came out, that she had a hard time gaining weight. I know that when I went through period of time after going gluten-free where I completely lost my appetite, that if someone had forced me to eat more at one time than the equivalent of half of a hamburger patty, I guarantee I would have barfed. I know that anorexia and bulemia are very complicated and this isn't a full representation of it, but I really identified at the time with magazine articles I had read about the issue. I think it's very possible that in the middle of some of that Hollywood thin/anorexic/bulemic group of people, there are at least a few undiagnosed celiacs.

Nancy

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

-

angel-jd1 Community Regular
I found something in his suitcase he left behind - "AIRBORNE Formula Herbal Power " -

What is this stuff? Anyone take this stuff? What is it for?

It's supposed to lessen the symptoms of the cold and flu. It's a herbal remedy stuffs. Open Original Shared Link

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Archived