This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiacs In Thailand

Aj63

Aj63 Newbie

Hi there,

I was just diagnosed on Wednesday. I have been feeling horrible for about 1-year, since the birth of my second daughter and the last 3 months have been horrible. I am ok with my diagnosis, at least I can manage it and now evertime I look at my little girls I am not wondering if I am dying.

It may sound silly, but my biggest concern is our Christmas trip to Thailand. I have been reading posts about the airlines and plan to go online and try to order a Gluten-Free menu. Other then that though, I am pretty much freaking out about the food. We are going to be all over the country for three weeks. I don't have much experiance with Thai food. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

BTW: Love this forum. Went to the store yesterday and purchased some cook books and picked up a few things at the health food store. What a shocker. Before I had the entire store at my disposal now, besides the produce and meat section, it looks like I am pretty much stuck to a quarter of one side of an isle. EEK. :blink:

AJ

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mango04 Enthusiast

I've never been to Thailand, but I've seriously considered going several times, and never felt that food would be too much of an issue. I believe their primary grain is rice rather than wheat (I'm pretty sure even Thai soy sauce is wheat-free).

You might want to bring some dining cards with you so you can communicate your need to be gluten-free if necessary. Here's the first one I found in a quick google search:

Open Original Shared Link

Aj63 Newbie

Hi Mango04,

Gosh, thanks for the cards. I was literally about to buy some for $50.00. I owe you one!!!

Angela

SydneyGF Rookie

Hi,

I have been to Thailand before and found it really easy to eat almost anywhere. The best places where the little kiosk out on the streets where you can see the fresh foods. Avoid resort and hotel restaurants where they try to westernise the meals and add wheat products.

Rice is the staple and eating where the locals eat is the key.

Have fun.

Sydney73 :D

• 11 months later...
syl1463 Newbie

hello everybody! lm trying to find a thai restaurant card but l cant..has anyone got one to share? thanks in advance, lm leaving in 2 weeks and this is my email address sildalsanto@yahoo.com

Thank you so much.

S.

Hi,

I have been to Thailand before and found it really easy to eat almost anywhere. The best places where the little kiosk out on the streets where you can see the fresh foods. Avoid resort and hotel restaurants where they try to westernise the meals and add wheat products.

Rice is the staple and eating where the locals eat is the key.

Have fun.

Sydney73 :D

Mango04 Enthusiast
hello everybody! lm trying to find a thai restaurant card but l cant..has anyone got one to share? thanks in advance, lm leaving in 2 weeks and this is my email address sildalsanto@yahoo.com

Thank you so much.

S.

I posted a link to one - a few posts above...

munchkinette Collaborator

Thailand is super easy- one of the easiest countries for celiac. You really only need to be careful of two things:

First, Chinese influence (more in the north) means soy sauce. Otherwise, Thai food only uses fish sauce, and the menu will tell you whether they use rice noodles or Chinese style wheat noodles. American Thai restaurants are generally bad about using soy sauce instead.

Second, in some of the tourist restaurants they will do the breaded-fried thing on a few stir-fry items. It's often just labeled "fried" or something basic. All you have to do is make sure to ask. Tons of people speak English in Bangkok and Phuket. I don't know about other places. If they don't, most places have pictures of everything. You can see if that's an issue or not.

Otherwise, no issues. Wheat just doesn't figure into the Thai diet. Dairy doesn't either. The gluten-free meals on planes can be pretty good, but I always come prepared. On the way back you should be able to find a lot to eat in the Bangkok airport.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived