• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

What Do You Substitute When A Recipe Calls For Cream Of Mushroom?

14 posts in this topic

Aligray    0

Hey there!

My mom is trying to make a casserole that requires cream of mushroom soup.

What do yall use as a substitute when a recipe calls for COM soup in order to make it gluten-free?

Thank you!

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Lisa    457

I use Progresso Creamy Mushroom soup. If it's too thin, thicken it up with some corn starch.

Lisa    457
Thanks Lisa! Is it in a jar or can?

It's in a can and you can find it where all the other soups are in the grocery store.

Ads by Google:

Mom23boys    3
Hey there!

My mom is trying to make a casserole that requires cream of mushroom soup.

What do yall use as a substitute when a recipe calls for COM soup in order to make it gluten-free?

Thank you!

I saute some mushrooms(whole, sliced, diced, whatever) in butter (dairy free in our case) then add enough of whatever kind of milk you use to make the full amount for the recipe. Then whatever starch/flour thickener you would use in a gravy. Homemade will have way less salt than the canned version so you may want to add some.

Ads by Google:

Sweetfudge    4

i love progresso's cream of mushroom, but it's so hard to find here! most of our grocery stores don't have it, so i when i do find it i stock up!!!

Yellow Rose    1

I buy a can of mushroom stems and pieces add the whole thing liquid and all to the food processor and chop it up. To that in a pan over low heat add a cup of whipping cream or half & half, some salt and pepper, thicken it up with some corn or tapioca stach. It takes only a few minutes and is delicious.

Yellow Rose

Ads by Google:

2Boys4Me    3

This is from http://www.gluten.net/recipes/index.php?cmd=6&recid=66

I've made condensed cream of tomato by using this recipe and using 1 cup tomato juice instead of milk and it worked great. (I omitted the chicken boullion)

Condensed "Cream of Anything" Soup

Ingredients

1 cup cold milk

2 Tbsp cornstarch

1 1/2 Tbsp butter

1 tsp chicken bouillon

1/2 tsp salt

dash of pepper

Instructions

In a small saucepan, whisk milk and cornstarch till well blended.

Stir in butter, bouillon, salt, and pepper.

Heat to a boil, stirring frequently. Simmer on low for one minute more to thicken.

Use in recipes to replace one can of cream of anything soup.

CONDENSED CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP:

Stir in a drained 4 ounce can of mushroom pieces to the recipe above.

Use in recipes in place of one can of Cream of Mushroom Soup.

CONDENSED CREAM OF CHICKEN SOUP:

Stir in 1/2 cup cooked chicken pieces to the recipe above.

Use in recipes in place of one can of Cream of Chicken Soup.

CONDENSED CREAM OF CELERY SOUP

Stir in 1/2 cup saut

• Upvote 1

jebas    0

I can recommend something not to try. Don't use Health Valley Organic Cream or Mushroom. The stuff tastes like a bad combination of vinegar and pepper. It's also to runny to be used in casseroles and such.

Jo Ann    0

Our experience with Health Valley Organic Cream of Mushroom was just the opposite. We just had Salisbury Steak and used this soup for the gravy combined with some Lipton Recipe Secrets Onion Soup, and it was enjoyed by all. It's more like Campbell's than Progresso is. Progresso is more mushroom (which the kids don't like that much) and little soup. Health Valley also makes Cream of Celery and Cream of Chicken, which I plan to try next in casseroles, etc. I did thicken the soup near the end to make the gravy a little thicker. I cook for a 15 yo who is pretty picky, so was pleased that he really liked this gravy. Of course, you have to try it yourself since we all have different tastes.

LoriC    0

I just made beef stroganoff with the pregresso cream of mushroom soup and it was really good! and instead of noodles i put it over rice and my family liked it better :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    sanfras43@gmail.com

• Topics

• https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/91878-newbie-info-101/ ^Newbie 101 section PS you are diagnosed celiac right? Sorry but a standard question as you should get the diagnosis out of the way before going gluten-free.
      https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/117090-gluten-free-food-alternatives-list/ ^ Have a nice list of food alternatives, including condiments. NOTE we suggest a whole foods only diet starting off to boost healing. Also we suggest dropping anything with oats or dairy for the first few months. Oats some celiacs react to regardless of gluten-free or not, Dairy is broken down by enzymes produced by the tips of your villi, if your celiac these are normally damaged and cause digestion issues or intolerance to dairy.
    • Hi to any & all who read my post, and an advanced thank you to those who reply,        My post may be kind of robust & lengthily, but please read until the end if you are able. To give a sort of "back story" here, I'll explain my situation in a nutshell. In November of 2014 I was diagnosed with a gluten intolerance by my allergist after recurrent, severe mouth ulcers and a bodily rash. I had a blood allergy panel, but NOT a Celiac specific panel, which ruled out other food allergies completely - corn, pea, chickpea, chicken, tomato, egg, milk, etc. My allergist suggested a gluten-free diet, which I adopted & have been adhering to since then. Recently, I've been acutely sick since August of 2016, so we're talking a year plus now. My symptoms began with a burning abdominal sensation, pain after eating, premature and uncomfortable full feeling, bloating, etc. My internist referred me to my current GI doctor where I was diagnosed with GERD (chronic acid reflux) , and prescribed Omeprazole, which I still take daily. My next appointment in February had me still feeling awful & my GI doctor decided to perform an upper endoscopy, which I did in March. He was looking for ulcers, evidence of bleeding or infectious disease, and Celiac. Mind you, I had informed him that I've been eating strictly gluten free for almost three years now. He claimed this really didn't matter? This has left me wondering. Anyway, the results came up empty, but I was found to have evidence of gastritis. Then came the rest of my symptoms - frequent diarrhea, bloody diarrhea, extremely greasy stools, stools that float, mucus in stools, unable to "wait" to use the bathroom (I.e. Urgency), alternations of diarrhea and constipation, weight loss, low grade fever, EXTREME fatigue, poor concentration, memory loss, cognitive decline, and my mouth sores have reared their ugly head once again. After I first went gluten-free, the ulcers probably cleared up for a good year at least, which was heaven on earth for me. Now, they're back with a ruthless vengeance. As we speak, I've barely recovered from one for a day or so, and I'm down with two more. You can't even make this stuff up. After I addressed these new symptoms with my GI, he was concerned I may have had Crohn's Disease or Colitis, so he performed a colonoscopy, which ruled out both conditions through gross observation & biopsy samples. Since colonoscopies can only read so much of your colon & terminal small intestine, I then had a  PillCam to see the rest. The only results he could suggest was that I have a "slow bowel transit," so I was diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome. The umbrella term for all intestinal and abdominal suffering with no definitive cause.        Summary of my bible here is that I'm still suffering greatly. The intestinal issues are really giving me poor quality of life, and these pervasive mouth ulcers are more than I can bare anymore with the pain, inability to eat, weight loss, etc. it's all a sick and harrowing cycle that I am caught in the middle of. In saying this, I'm almost curious that I could have Celiac disease that was horribly missed. If I had already been gluten free & a biopsy was taken it would appear as though I'm a healthy individual, no? I was informed you had to be eating a strict gluten FILLED diet prior to ANY testing. ALL of my testing was performed after I already went gluten free, which could have altered results horribly.   I'm almost crazy enough to think that if this is the case, I'm going to eat gluten just so I can be re-tested because I can't go on like this anymore.    Can anyone please clarify and/or suggest something?
    • Interesting the Teflon was the substrate /material the gluten "stuck to" with a higher ppm of cc a synthetic man made versus an organic material iron . Based on her writing further exploration is not likely to get funding but perhaps from this preliminary finding if repeated celiacs in shared households should avoid teflon products.  My husbands bachelor pots and pans were a great set of stainless steel. Our wedding set of dishes mostly have broken.  I purged all pre diagnosis wood , plastic, and and old or very used ceramic and with my son and I both affected the household went completely gluten free.  I wish the budding scientist much success, but hope she followed her own data and ditched all teflon.    
    • Yikes!   Yes!  I will correct.  Thank you. I am so used to being GLUTEN FREE!
    • Maybe you should consider a bone marrow biopsy.   Your hematologist might be on to something.  At least it would rule out several things.  Based on this link, it could be related to SIBO or another AI issue.   http://www.medicinenet.com/neutropenia/article.htm Another possibility is Mast Cell Activation Syndrome or Mastocytosis.  That could explain the WBC, low BP, fatigue, etc.   A bone marrow biopsy is used to diagnose mastocytosis.    https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/blogs/entry/1931-mast-cell-activation-syndrome-madness/ https://tmsforacure.org/overview/
  • Upcoming Events