• Ads by Google:
     




    Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

    Ads by Google:



       Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

  • Announcements

    • admin

      Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

      This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Is Nausea A Symptom Of Celiac?
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Newly diagnosed as Celiac as of last friday! So I've been on the gluten-free diet since sat, so five days now!

The reason I am posting is because my main symptom is constant nausea. My GI specialist said that the nausea could be explained by the celiac disease, but then my GP said that nausea wasnt a symptom and that it must be attributed to something else.

I just wanted to know if anyone else out there had constant nausea, and if it improved when they went on the gluten-free diet! I am dying to feel healthy again, its been soooooooo long!

How long till I can expect to start feeling better?

~Sarah~

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Hi,

Welcome to the world of Gluten Free! I think you will find that you feel better soon.

I believe that nausea is a symptom. I had frequent nausea before dx, and I also have it when I accidently eat gluten now that I'm gluten-free.

Just to be on the safe side though, see if you can get your GI and GP docs to communicate with eachother on the nausea. It may seem hard to get them to talk but if you push it they usually will, and that way you can rule out another issue. Better to be safe than sorry.

Best of luck!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome

I have been gluten free for 4 weeks now and nausea was one of my worst symptoms. I was sick everyday but never could never throw up, I was eating nausea pills like candy. I have been gluten free for 4 weeks and I have not been sick for the last 2 weeks. So I am convinced that it was all the gluten I was eating. I was really depressed when I found out that I had to go on a gluten-free diet but after reading all these post and the people in here are very helpful and very kind, it all helped me realize that I'm not alone.

I can't offer much advise cause I am still learning myself. I have bought a couple books and have done alot of research. Also I love to cook so I have been experminting my own recipes LOL.

Just remember when things get rough just come in here and express your concerns and someone will always help you.

Edited by talsop
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I double posted sorry

Edited by talsop
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sarah,

One of my symptoms was Nausea also. I am sure it can be considered one on the list of Celiac. It seems as though children are affected by this disease by getting sick to there stomach.

My symptoms would progress, by beginning with Nausea. Any morning I woke up feeling nauseated I knew I ws going to have a bad day. I'd be in the bathroom with diarrhea, and have abdominal pain all day. It was the jumping point to all my other symptoms.

Now I'm not officialy doctor diagnosed but since being gluten free after day # 3 I feel 100% better! :D

Good luck and I hope going gluten-free will help with your nausea because I know it can be a real difficult symptom to deal and function with.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ads by Google:


I had nausea all the time as well. I used to tell people it was like having the flu everyday for months. Been gluten-free since Feb04 and I can at least say that I dont feel like I have the flu everyday now. Still have the fatigue issue but hope that will get better soon <_<

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nausea is a symptom...I've had it, as well........accompanied with abdominal pains, vomiting, gas, bloating, diarrhea, and low weight....

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Incredible to me that the GP could possibly claim nausea wasn't a celiac symptom.

It was constant and unrelenting for me for a very long time.

It got 30x better when I 1st went 100% gluten-free, and then nearly disappeared when I also went dairy-free. (not just lactose, even alleged 'non-dairy' creamers have a milk derivative)

It wasn't until I started dairy-free that it felt good to be alive again.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
:( as a rule--i think most celiacs have nausea, many have diarrhea daily, and some of us ;) celiac3270--have weight problems :P i couldnt lose weight while eating gluten--my man used to ask me how i kept the weight on when i was eating next to nothing <_< --he loved me then and still loves me 60# lighter :D i think there are as many symptoms for celiacs as there are celiacs ;) deb
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I first read this thread's title, celiac3270, of course, you came to mind immediately.

Nausea thankfully has not been one of my symptoms. But I want to caution you to make sure that if you are continuing to take nausea medication, make sure you check on its gluten free status. There are quite a lot over the counter medications that are NOT gluten free. I made that mistake already (only for me it was with Gas-X as my second main symptom is gas, my first one being chronic diarrhea). I was also eating them like candy. I was continuing to get glutened, and after some sleuthing, found it was the Gas-X doing it.....

Welcome to the forum and you will find a bunch of really knowledgeable and helpful people here.....

Karen

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there,

i believe nausea is one symptom of celiac. When i had my beer accident couple of weeks ago i felt so gaggy, it wasn't even funny anymore. The first day it was so bad, that i thought i had to through up every time i left bed. I almost crawled to the toilet.

Stef

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

nausea/vomiting was one of my symptoms. since going gluten-free it's gone, barring an accident. be aware that most doctors know very little about celiac. it's not touched on much in medical school from what i understand, and it's not the kind of thing that requires much in the way from doctors after diagnosis. i would do your own research.

bubble

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 12/1/2004 at 3:32 PM, darlindeb25 said:

:( as a rule--i think most celiacs have nausea, many have diarrhea daily, and some of us ;) celiac3270--have weight problems :P i couldnt lose weight while eating gluten--my man used to ask me how i kept the weight on when i was eating next to nothing <_< --he loved me then and still loves me 60# lighter :D i think there are as many symptoms for celiacs as there are celiacs ;) deb

Edited by Robert63
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How Long on a Gluten-Free Diet Before You Began to Feel Back to Normal?

I have not been diagnosed with Celiac yet.  Still waiting.  But after reading this topic and your contributions, I am convinced this must be the case.  

I light of this post, I have so many questions.  

I too suffer with nausea, fatigue, light headedness, slight headache and body aches.   This has been going on for 6 weeks.  I do not suffer from any diarrhea.    

I just recently underwent an Endoscopy  and Colonoscopy.  My gastro discovered a hiatal hernia in addition to some small intestine observations, for which I am still waiting on blood test results.  I also learned that I have a slow digestive tract.  This was discovered during my colonoscopy.  

I took it upon myself to go gluten free.  I have been gluten free for 5 days now.  Today was not a good day.  My nausea was more consistent all day.   It usually comes in waves.

My one question to the community is....how long were you on a gluten-free diet before you began to feel back to normal?

I would appreciate and look forward to sharing stories.   

Regards.

_Robert

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Robert63 said:

I have not been diagnosed with Celiac yet.  Still waiting.  But after reading this topic and your contributions, I am convinced this must be the case.  

I light of this post, I have so many questions.  

I too suffer with nausea, fatigue, light headedness, slight headache and body aches.   This has been going on for 6 weeks.  I do not suffer from any diarrhea.    

I just recently underwent an Endoscopy  and Colonoscopy.  My gastro discovered a hiatal hernia in addition to some small intestine observations, for which I am still waiting on blood test results.  I also learned that I have a slow digestive tract.  This was discovered during my colonoscopy.  

I took it upon myself to go gluten free.  I have been gluten free for 5 days now.  Today was not a good day.  My nausea was more consistent all day.   It usually comes in waves.

My one question to the community is....how long were you on a gluten-free diet before you began to feel back to normal?

I would appreciate and look forward to sharing stories.   

Regards.

_Robert

Welcome!  

First, you need to be on a gluten diet in order for any celiac testing to be valid.  You should ask your doctor if in fact, he tested you for celiac disease.  These are the tests (University of Chicago's celiac website):  

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/screening/

Going gluten-free for as little as two weeks can impact the  tests.  A blood panel should have been ordered and at least four or biopsies should have been taken during the endoscopy.   Please get copies of all your lab results!  This is a good habit to get into.  Honesty, many GI's fail to properly test for celiac disease.  Make sure your GI is celiac-savvy.  

Most people who have celiac disease can take weeks, months or years (yes, years) to recover.  Remember this is an autoimmune disorder, like lupus except the trigger for "flare-ups" is known -- gluten.  It is the only AI disorder that has a known trigger and there are about 100 AI disorders.  So, while there is no cure for celiac disease, it can be managed.   Most members here report some improvement within six weeks, but everyone heals differently and we each have different damage as celiac disease goes beyond the gut.  

I wish you well!

The gluten-free diet has a steep learning curve.  There are plenty of set-backs along the way, but eventually the diet can be mastered and health can improve.  

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2017 at 10:50 PM, cyclinglady said:

Welcome!  

First, you need to be on a gluten diet in order for any celiac testing to be valid.  You should ask your doctor if in fact, he tested you for celiac disease.  These are the tests (University of Chicago's celiac website):  

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/screening/

Going gluten-free for as little as two weeks can impact the  tests.  A blood panel should have been ordered and at least four or biopsies should have been taken during the endoscopy.   Please get copies of all your lab results!  This is a good habit to get into.  Honesty, many GI's fail to properly test for celiac disease.  Make sure your GI is celiac-savvy.  

Most people who have celiac disease can take weeks, months or years (yes, years) to recover.  Remember this is an autoimmune disorder, like lupus except the trigger for "flare-ups" is known -- gluten.  It is the only AI disorder that has a known trigger and there are about 100 AI disorders.  So, while there is no cure for celiac disease, it can be managed.   Most members here report some improvement within six weeks, but everyone heals differently and we each have different damage as celiac disease goes beyond the gut.  

I wish you well!

The gluten-free diet has a steep learning curve.  There are plenty of set-backs along the way, but eventually the diet can be mastered and health can improve.  

 

Thank you so much for the feedback.  I am on my second GI doctor.    I hope to get my arms around this soon.  When I say soon, I plan to give it a few months.  The new GI is wanting to do more test to rule out any other bugs or parasites.  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
1 1

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      106,116
    • Total Posts
      929,026
  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      63,527
    • Most Online
      3,093

    Newest Member
    Denise Bourque
    Joined
  • Popular Now

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I can not speak for mushrooms, but I live in California.  Strawberry fields are everywhere.  All the commercial farmers use plastic.  We even pick them ourselves on several farms.  No straw.   What I would be more concerned about is pesticides.  Strawberries are ranked number 1 for the most contamination.  This is one fruit that you might want to eat as organic.   http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/03/10/strawberries-and-these-other-foods-have-most-pesticides/98966374/ Oh, Jane Anderson's postings are well done, but please note that she suffers from DH, so she is extremely conservative on her approach to a gluten free diet (I would be too if I had DH!).   
    • Let me add that this is a "want-be-journalist" who is trying to make a living.  (Kudos for her!).  You will note that she is selling you a few products.  Is it because she genuinely thinks they are the best products on the earth or she's getting compensated?   Want to improve your dry skin?  Get off the low fat craze and eat some good healthy fats and live in a humid climate (that is my non-medical opinion).  Maybe take fewer showers......😆 Hey, I am not knocking the author, Nicole.  My neighbor, a stay-at-home mom, makes a comfortable living submitting articles for online publishing.  She is not an expert in anything per sa y,  but it allows her to work between toddlers napping while she hangs in her PJ's.   She also gets a lot of free products to try.  
    • You don't need gluten-free makeup unless you are going to get it in your mouth.
    • I say piece of mind is priceless.  Why worry?  My foundation (a mineral) is gluten free as is my lipstick,  sunscreen and hand lotion.   I honestly know that I would have to injest a lot of lipstick 💄 in order to get a gluten reaction (per GlutenFreeWatchDog, Trish Thompson).  But I would rather not worry.  I am willing to PAY extra for it.   If a product line does not offer gluten free items, then  I will not buy it.  They lose my business.   Too bad, those companies are losing market share as there are so many people on the gluten free craze bandwagon (lucky for us who seriously have issues with gluten!) So, I am going to plug Red Apple lipstick and Gabriel Lipsticks.  They are certified gluten free.  Piece of mind.  But if you can read the small print in the drugstore without special magnifying glasses (like I need), then buy the other lipstick.  I used to buy some Maybelline (I think), but now I can not read the label and pride prohibits me from pulling out a large magnifying glass in the store (and dang...I am old and save my phone data for my teenage kid so I will not check the website or call while in the store).  And yes, I pick up the house line without bothering to screen the call and I am still alive! 
  • Upcoming Events