• Join our community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease?  Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes
ArtGirl

Baking Mix - Without Potato, Corn Or Tapioca?

Rate this topic

Now that I am not eating potato - there goes the potato starch that's in about every baking mix recipe and product. I have other limitations, too, as I cannot use cornstarch or tapioca.

Has anyone been successful in making baked goods with just rice flours and perhaps sweet rice flour, without the other starches?

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

I should think that you could use arrowroot starch as a substitute.

Yes, I was thinking arrowroot starch, and I am really in love with sorghum flour right now.

Ok, in my Carol Fenster book, she says for cornstarch you can substitute an equal amount of:

potato starch

arrowroot starch

amaranth starch

For potato starch, subtitute an equal amount of:

arrowroot

cornstarch

lotus root starch

amaranth starch

She says that the benefit to tapioca flour is that it helps browning and makes a crispier crust.

Hope that helps!

Thank you. This is a help.

I didn't even know there was an amaranth starch. I may have to look for it.

I do use arrowroot - it imparts an almost sweet, citrus flavor - which is sort of odd in bread or biscuits, but I do use it in muffins and other sweet breads.

Lotus root starch??? Another one I've never heard of. Wonder where one finds it.

I did a Google search for both lotus root starch and amaranth starch - didn't find a retail source for either of them. Bummer!

Ads by Google:

Amaranth starch can be found at: http://www.nuworldfoods.com/cart/products.asp?grouping_id=4

Purchase carefully- amaranth flour and amaranth starch are not the same thing.

Lotus root is used in Asian cooking, so I bet you'd be able to find lotus root starch in an Asian market.

Thanks for the link, Sarah.

I took a quick look at the site - there's other things there, too, that I might want to try. Maybe the Amaranth-Os, breakfast cereal and some snack crackers.