• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes
VAGuy

Cornmeal Question

Rate this topic

Hello - I have a question about cornmeal. I seem to be doing OK with rice and potatos, but cornbread seems to bother, which is bad cause I really like it.

Would cornmeal bother due to fiber, or could there be something else about corn that bothers people? I'm careful to only use cornmeal with no flour added, 2 brands. One of the reasons I ask is that a jar of Maggi brand seasoning on our shelf lists Hydrolyzed Corn Gluten, would they just be saying gluten instead of protein?

I'm also doing a major reorganization of kitchen and shelves - look what I found hiding on my Mom's spice shelf, amongst other things!

Pumpkin Pie spice dated 10/81

Ginger from 91

Some Allspice - date unknown, but price is on a sticker with old style purple ink

The best - a truly ancient (and I mean it) small jar of McCormik sugar sprinkles

for cakes, and the sugar (green) is not stuck together.

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

lol. your pumpkin pie spice is almost as old as I am. (unfortunately, not too long ago, I think I threw out some stuff (unused) that was about the same age... ;-) )

just for reference, technically speaking, "gluten" is the term for all proteins in grains. it's often used by the general population and celiacs and doctors to refer only to the protein sequences similar to those in wheat, barley, and rye (oatmeal being a big gaping uncertainty :-) ). that's why they used the term on the label - it is the scientifically correct term, but not how it's used in common daily "speak", as it were.

VAGuy,

Some people are also intolerant of corn, whether permanently or temporarily depends on the person, but you may want to eliminate it for a while and then try it again later. Unfortunately, like wheat and barley, corn can be found in a lot of different foods. I hope you figure out what is bothering you. I am thinking about removing potatos from my diet, which leaves me with only rice and corn. It I have to remove corn too then I am going to get sick of rice real fast! :o

Good luck and God bless,

Mariann

Thanks for responses - it seems fiber is a real problem - had same lunch yesterday and today (tuna/mayo on potato chips, H2O) yesterday OK, except today I had 3 gluten-free cookies (MI-DEL) w/approx 3g/12% RDA fiber) and had problems a couple hours later, same @ dinner time/ probs later. Guess I'm just gonna have to be real careful for a while.

Thanks for responses - it seems fiber is a real problem - had same lunch yesterday and today (tuna/mayo on potato chips, H2O) yesterday OK, except today I had 3 gluten-free cookies (MI-DEL) w/approx 3g/12% RDA fiber) and had problems a couple hours later, same @ dinner time/ probs later. Guess I'm just gonna have to be real careful for a while.

Ads by Google:

VaGuy, I don't know where you live but I live in NC and I can only use one cornmeal and it is Tenderbake white. Now it has to be the white and not yellow and it is selfrising and I have not ever had a problem . You may want to try it if the stores in your area carries it. Good luck. :rolleyes:

Jean

We have found the only cornmeal that does not affect our family is the meal we grind ourselves. Since Dent corn is difficult to find in bulk, here where we live, we buy popcorn in the 50lbs bags at Sam's Club. It takes three times through the grinder, but it makes a flavorful meal.

Libby.

AZ

Ads by Google: