• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Indigestion

2 posts in this topic

Part of my celiac disease symtoms is chronic indigestion. I have been taking digestive enzymes but they don't seem to be working at all. Everytime I eat (no matter what I eat) I can feel it just sitting there. Or sometimes it just runs right out of me.

I feel if I could just get rid of the indigestion many of my other sysmptoms would probably get better. Could this mean that my intestines are going to take a long time to heal maybe because they are so damaged?

I haven't been on the gluten free diet too long. I now know that I probably had celiac disease and/or the symptoms of it several years or about all my life.

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

You've been gluten-free for just three weeks, which isn't enough time to heal hardly at all. Some people notice an immediate difference while others take months and months. In my case, I was able to eat again right away (and I never really had the diarrhea problem) but it was 10 weeks before I could return to work and several months before I could resume a normal life. If I had a more physical job it would have been a lot longer before I could have worked.

When you say digestive enzymes, is that the same as probiotics? If not, you might also consider probiotics.

Relax. I know it's hard to feel so bad (weeks and weeks after I went gluten-free I sat on my bed one day crying because I was SOOOO tired of being sick; scared my 14-year-old daughter to death), but the vast majority of people, even those who probably had it for a long time, heal completely.

richard