• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes
LynnR

Indigestion

Rate this topic

Part of my celiac disease symtoms is chronic indigestion. I have been taking digestive enzymes but they don't seem to be working at all. Everytime I eat (no matter what I eat) I can feel it just sitting there. Or sometimes it just runs right out of me.

I feel if I could just get rid of the indigestion many of my other sysmptoms would probably get better. Could this mean that my intestines are going to take a long time to heal maybe because they are so damaged?

I haven't been on the gluten free diet too long. I now know that I probably had celiac disease and/or the symptoms of it several years or about all my life.

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

You've been gluten-free for just three weeks, which isn't enough time to heal hardly at all. Some people notice an immediate difference while others take months and months. In my case, I was able to eat again right away (and I never really had the diarrhea problem) but it was 10 weeks before I could return to work and several months before I could resume a normal life. If I had a more physical job it would have been a lot longer before I could have worked.

When you say digestive enzymes, is that the same as probiotics? If not, you might also consider probiotics.

Relax. I know it's hard to feel so bad (weeks and weeks after I went gluten-free I sat on my bed one day crying because I was SOOOO tired of being sick; scared my 14-year-old daughter to death), but the vast majority of people, even those who probably had it for a long time, heal completely.

richard

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Gail18

• Topics

• I had to elminate, carbs, and sugars also due to UC, but I haveen cooking for diabetics for years in my bakery. I do keto based breads, grain free baked goods, nut butters, etc. I have a few grain free low carb recipes in the cooking section like Keto low carb dinner rolls, flat bread, crackers, etc. My bakery also sales keto loaf breads that are a huge hit with my customers. Look at ketogenic/paleo diets. stews, meats, leafy greens creamy soups with nut milks etc. Crock pot and batch meals will be your new friend I imagine.
    • First, let me make this clear.  Your diet may have contributed to diabetes a bit, but the reality is you are either genetically predisposed or not.  That covers both Type 1 (TD1 — autoimmune) and Type 2 (TD2 — insulin resistance).   Has your doctor diagnosed you with TD1 or TD2?  TD1 is strongly linked to celiac disease.  It can be determined by measuring antibodies (e.g. GAD).  Like celiac disease, there are several antibody tests for TD1.  It can affect any age.   The body destroys beta cells that help produce insulin.  Insulin resistance (TD2)  is common as we age or eat a poor diet of simple carbohydrates (which is just about everyone in the US!) if you are predisposed.    It runs in families.  It can be treated by diet and if needed, medications and/or insulin.   I recall the same dismay.   I have TD2.  I have made dietary adjustments and have been able to ward off medications that could affect my gut.  You really can lose that sweet tooth!   Here is a link to Blood Sugar 101.  The author is NOT a doctor, but is good at investigating research.  It is a highly regarded website.  She sells a small book, but it contains exactly the same information.  I bought one for my Uncle who is not on the internet (imagine that!).  Learn about “eating to your meter”.  What affects one diabetic may not affect another in terms of elevating blood sugar.  Managing your blood sugar will help prevent all those diabetic complications.  Jenny’s Site also references some very well-respective books written my medical doctors who live with diabetes.  It is a good place to start.  Like this site, it helps me stick to my gluten-free and Lowere carb diet (you need to determine what works for you personally and I can not stress that enough). got to go......    
    •   Had to mention........this made me laugh out loud and how true it is! 
    • You do realize I am starting to drool all over my keyboard?    Your second sentence said it all.  It's been 12 years for me gluten-free so gluten free chewy is fine by me!
    • Bfree brand is in the US now and they are stocked at my local grocery store.  I have not seen the wraps yet but I am going to request that they stock them.  They have these dinner rolls that are actually a gluten-free sourdough roll and they are delicious!  Read the link and see what they use for sourdough starter......excellent! The rolls have chew to the crust and are soft and fluffy on the inside. I see they now make the brown, seeded rolls, which I like better than the white so the hunt is on!    Thanks for the advice.....I really miss burritos. One of the few times I have trouble with the Celiac thing is when I am in London and I can smell all that delicious street food being prepared.  It's downright torture.  As for the panettone.........they are really good.  I have never become ill from anything I have bought from Italy....they really know their gluten free stuff! https://us.bfreefoods.com/product/soft-white-rolls/
  • Upcoming Events