This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Lunches @ School

yllehs91

yllehs91 Apprentice

13-yr-old freshman here...my school's food is almost 100% GLUTEN! i did talk to the cafeteria mngr and i can have...salad...that's basically it except when they do baked chicken. it really sucks. and i HATE having to carry a lunch box anytime i decide to take a good lunch. So what are some things fast to make, not hard to carry/stuff in your locker (so i dont need a lunchbox), and taste good....please help. msg me/e-mail me if you wanna talk.

(aim = scoutnboys1991)

(e-mail = yllehs91@hotmail.com)

(msn = ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^)

South South South Texan-Shelly

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

flagbabyds Collaborator

blue doritos are gluten-free, they are good to carry around. some pieces of fruit, energy bars are the best to carry, string cheese, cookies, basically snack foods that are gluten-free. Organic food bars are my favorite bars, they say gluten-free on the label and they are really good.

tarnalberry Community Regular

rice cakes with peanut butter are nice and long lasting.

FreyaUSA Contributor

(Disclaimer: I'm not a teenager but I sometimes fix lunch for my teenager to take to school... :rolleyes:)

I sometimes make rollups out of soft corn tortillas for my son. We like La Bandarita brand best. Heat them up a little in the microwave, add a piece of cheese, melt a little, add a couple thin slices deli meat (Hillshire farms is gluten-free except their corn dogs and beer brats...), add a bit of mayo or whatever you like (spread it in a strip down the middle) and rollup, then roll up the rollup in a half of a paper towel. I fix him two, they fit in a sandwich sized bag, and they don't smash as the day goes on.

He also takes healthy muffins (that I make but these do get mashed a bit) and Genisoy's Extreme PB bars (like a candy bar, but we feel better about them than a snickers ;) ) He can only buy chips and drinks at school since even the salads have gluten (prepackage w/croutons!)

• 4 weeks later...
celiac3270 Collaborator

For good meal/protein bars: Genisoy makes two gluten-free bars. One is called something like "Southern Style Chunky Peanut Butter". I like this one the best, cause it tastes sort of like a candy bar--chocolate on the outside, pb and nuts and stuff on the inside, it tastes good, and it's vitamin-packed. Genisoy also makes a "Pure golden honey honey yogurt" or something--another gluten-free option, but I don't like it as much...try them both, though, and you can pass your own judgments on them. If you e-mail Atkins, they'll give you their gluten-free list, which is quite extensive and contains numerous bars...I find they taste artificial and make me feel queasy, so I don't eat them.

There are many good gluten-free cookies, particularly those by Pamelas and Glutano. You can make a PB & J, of course, using gluten-free bread (Ener-G or Kinnickinick). You don't need a lunch box for that--just a ziplock bag or, if you don't want it to be squished, tupperware. Then, of course, there are multiple other sandwiches: ham, cheese, etc.

Probably the best list for a teen :D .....FritoLays has a gluten-free list, which I've pasted below. Here's the page where the list is: Open Original Shared Link. If you Open Original Shared Link The nice thing about FritoLays is that they're mainstream, so people aren't going to question or scrutinize your food.

Products Not Containing Gluten

Last updated December 14, 2004

BAKED CHEETOS

• 2 weeks later...
jendenise Rookie

I'm 21, so no longer a teenager, but, I eat like one!!! (pretty much I'm not into eating healthy unless it tastes good) Try Envirokidz snack bars (berry, peanut butter, chocolate), also ENER G Wheat Free Pretzels, I also toast a gluten-free bagel in the morning and spread w/ butter or peanut butter, wrap it in foil and it's still warm elevenish... good luck

pemmy Newbie

hey ive just been diagnosed as being celiac a few days ago and im just starting on my new diet. I have to go back to school on tuesday and will have to start bringing packed lunches because i know the school, meals will not be gluten free. Can someone help me by telling me what kind of things i can put in it. Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

You can put in fruits and vegetables. Boar Head lunch meat. . .use rice breads. . .I like to toast them and take them with me places. . .rice bagels, too. Be careful with Frito-Lay brand, some people have trouble with their products. There are gluten-free cookies and fruit bars. Just go to your health food store, ask for help and see all the yummie things you can have. Just to start out stick with fruits and veggies and things that have simple and clear ingredients until you learn more about "hidden" gluten.

You'll find there is a lot to take!

pemmy Newbie

thanks i'm really glad to know that there are other people out there who can help me with this. :D

flagbabyds Collaborator

fruits and veggies, sliced meats, sandwiches w/ rice bread, chips

Guest gliX

everyday for the last year i've been having..a turkey sandwich (really good), trix yogurt, chips, milk and cheese cubes. Well balanced and tastes good.

Guest Bsecen

I have been Celaic for 4 years and still have nopt found a way to get past the urge to go to school and just buy food and be normal. But no matter how much you wish for it will not ever go away. The sad part of having this disease is that it is perminiate and you will never get over the fact of missing the foods you love the most. It is do easy to just walk into the lunch line and just buy a big fat pack of chicken nuggets or pizza or even the rubber burgers. But whatever happens you will still have your friends and us to come and help you!! Thanks for the support from all of you!!!

---------------------------

Tiffany :lol:

Guest Bsecen

I have been Celaic for 4 years and still have nopt found a way to get past the urge to go to school and just buy food and be normal. But no matter how much you wish for it will not ever go away. The sad part of having this disease is that it is perminiate and you will never get over the fact of missing the foods you love the most. It is do easy to just walk into the lunch line and just buy a big fat pack of chicken nuggets or pizza or even the rubber burgers. But whatever happens you will still have your friends and us to come and help you!! LOL Thanks for the support from all of you!!! :P

---------------------------

Tiffany

• 2 months later...
Vyse Newbie

I went gluten-free between freshman/sophmore year of high school. It was definately akward at first. I still sat with the same people, and there were the jokes and stuff, but the thing is just to not take it to seriously. I browned bagged it and after the initial embarrassment, i got used to it. I would take some fruit, a pudding/yogurt, some chip (cheetos, lays, ruffles, never trusted doritos though). The main dish was always something a little weirder, like a tortilla with cheese, mustard, ketchup, and a hotdog inside(now i just eat them for fun) or a gluten-free bagel sandwich or something along those lines. I still get the temptation to buy stuff at school, and sometimes i do. Even if i think its gluten-free, i usually end up paying for it within the next couple days. ;)

celiac3270 Collaborator

The Nacho Cheesier Doritos (red bag) aren't gluten-free. The blue bag, Cool Ranch, is...but I've never had it, either.

Archived