This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Elimination Diet Gone Wrong?

misdiagnosed6yrs

tarnalberry Community Regular
I have been walking my dogs which I almost never do. I want to go to the gym but I feel like it wouldn't be a good idea cause of the lack of nutrition.

I haven't gone without fruit. haha That would leave chicken, brown rice and sweet potatoes. Those havent given me any problems. Cept for the chicken I ate today but I was already feeling horrible. And the sweet pots I ate last night but I also over did it. :huh: and ate a ton. oops.

I should add that salt is on some of these things.

Oh I forgot I had puffed rice (gluten-free) today with pacific rice milk. NOT GOOD. How weird is that? Arent those both very safe foods?

This headache is really starting to hurt. It must be related to everything else.

<_<

If you were already feeling horrible, then the chicken today may be a red herring - it's hard to say. If you haven't tried going without fruit, it's worth a try, based on what you've said.

(A couple articles from pubmed on fructose intolerance:

Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link)

As for the puffed rice and rice milk... Really, on an elimination diet, buying anything preprocessed is going to make it harder to figure out what's going on due to the miscellaneous ingredients and contamination issues. Sticking to completely whole foods is going to be 'cleaner'.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
misdiagnosed6yrs Apprentice

It hurts so bad right now.

Dinner was chicken cooked in the oven in water only. no oil. and brown rice. I put salt on the chciken.

I am soooo sick. I can't do this anymore. Its so hard, its frustrating.

I'm gonna give up chicken. and salt. This leaves me with sweet potatoes and brown rice.

How is that healthy?

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Oh I forgot I had puffed rice (gluten-free) today with pacific rice milk. NOT GOOD. How weird is that? Arent those both very safe foods?

What brand of puffed rice was that? I use the Pacific Rice Milk and that seems to be okay but I am wondering about the cereal and it's chance of CC. Are you drinking any teas? Any alcohol? Any soda pops? All may be a problem with ingredients and/or CC.

I also have to agree with your need to see a doctor. We do of course concentrate on intolerances here as Tarnelberry said, you may be dealing with something that is not food related at all. If you are without a doctor and it sounds like without a job or low income you may qualify for emergency assistance with your medical bills. You may want to check out with your state and see if you qualify. When you see the doctor he should do a work up on you which would include a complete blood panel including your fasting glucose and A1C (a three months average of your BS) you should also ask for a stool test to be sure you are not dealing with a bacterial or parasite problems.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

One other possible factor may be how often and how much at one time you are eating.

Sounds like you may be eating the traditional "3 squares." If you do have a blood sugar issue, then eating several tiny meals will be much better for you than the 3 squares. Even without a blood sugar issue, that would be easier on your poor tummy.

Are you drinking any teas? Any alcohol? Any soda pops?

Only water.

I did have coffee on a few days.

I have been through all these tests. over and over again for 7 years.

I didn't want to get out of bed this morning. Thats not like me at all. It's 60* here in NH which is a record breaker, I don't have anything important to do today (no stress), I didn't want to get up to be sick.

I don't know what to eat. I'm lost.

One other possible factor may be how often and how much at one time you are eating.

Sounds like you may be eating the traditional "3 squares." If you do have a blood sugar issue, then eating several tiny meals will be much better for you than the 3 squares. Even without a blood sugar issue, that would be easier on your poor tummy.

I eat 4 or 5 times a day. I eat pretty good portions.

I'm sure its not how much I am eating. I worked out for years and saw a nutrionist, I follow a healthy diet routine.

Of course, today, I'm not eating. I give up

happygirl Collaborator

I think that a consultation with a medical professional is necessary.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I eat 4 or 5 times a day. I eat pretty good portions.

I'm sure its not how much I am eating. I worked out for years and saw a nutrionist, I follow a healthy diet routine.

Of course, today, I'm not eating. I give up

Hang in there, we all feel like this at times. It is so frustrating to feel so bad and not be able to figure out the cause. ((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))

at this point, I'd consider adding a few things back in - though maybe still staying away from fruit - just to get you feeling better mentally. the frequent, small meals, with a few more items, may help. at this point, you may need to pursue further medical testing, without sticking quite so strictly to the elimination diet. I'm sorry it's going so rough. ((hugs))

{{{HUGS}}}

I made an appointment with my PCP tomorrow at 9. I just don't want it to be a waste of time, you know? Of course you all know.

I also called the Gastro who diagnosed me. That appointment is on Jan 24th and the girl who made the appointment could tell that this is more urgent and suggested I talk to the Dr's nurse and get squeezed in somewhere. So I left a message.

Both locations are aware that my food right now is very much limited and I am worried. I will add some stuff back but I can't be sick. I promise I wont stop eating. Hunger pains hurt too. :rolleyes:

Plus that leads to even more problems, we all know I don't want/need MORE problems.

I can handle the uncomfortable gas but the pain that follows gets too much. Why is it that we have to feel this way? Sorry, there I go again.

I posted under the doctors section on here cause I want to know what to say to them. This topic is getting pretty long. :)

Any suggestions on what to say so I don't get the run around?

BTW Thanks for everyones HUGS and support. I love this place.

Bobbi

You might want to check out this thread: Open Original Shared Link

as well as the "OMG--I think I'm on to something" thread (just check out the last 100 pages or so, skip the first thousand!) and especially the Lyme thread on this board.

It sounds like you have more than one thing going on in your body. The people on these threads are the experts on that!!!

You might want to check out this thread: Open Original Shared Link

as well as the "OMG--I think I'm on to something" thread (just check out the last 100 pages or so, skip the first thousand!) and especially the Lyme thread on this board.

It sounds like you have more than one thing going on in your body. The people on these threads are the experts on that!!!

WOW. I read the first one. The problem with looking up your symptoms is that you can relate to many. I started with lactose intolerant, then IBS but they said I had a severe case. The one thing that throws me off is I don't get D, I have always been C. Well, for 7 years.

I will look into everything I can tonight cause my appointment is tomorrow. Thanks

My doctor told me to eat, just not foods with gluten. :(

yesterday I ate :

3/4 c. applesauce

no reactions

2 hours later string cheese

2 hours later no symptoms. hungry though.

rice cakes with peanut butter (peanuts and salt)(no reaction)

gluten-free oats with sugar 1c.

later had more with honey (no reactions)

Today I ate:

banana (no reaction)

rice cereal w/ rice milk (no reaction)

string cheese (no reaction)

chicken, mayo, salsa (oh oh)

20 minutes later. I was hurting. This is bad, it can't possibly be just an intolerance. I feel like I've been glutened. Just not as severe.

The only thing I can do is curl up in a ball and cry. I don't know what else to do. It hurts to breathe even.

Does this even make sense? Cause it sure doesn't to me. I also want to point out the fact that I don't run to the bathroom and spend some pretty painful time there. In fact, that rarely happens. People are always saying that the D part is horrible... When? when does that happen.

Please tell me what to do. You see why eating is not working for me? I don't know what to eat. Atleast not anymore.

I can't continue to be this sick. Someone please tell me whats going on

you've noted that you've had chicken every time you've not felt well.

perhaps try the exact same menu, but with a different meat.

(the mayo and salsa are all combined foods, so it's hard to say what in them might be bothering you...)

you've noted that you've had chicken every time you've not felt well.

I realize this. about the chicken. But you see, thats all I eat. If its not chic stir fry, its baked or broiled or even chic burgers. I have never been sick like this before. I considered the fact that it's a protein and maybe I can't do proteins but chicken? really? I also was sick the other day but had eaten baked turkey. I thought maybe it was the whole processed stuff...

My Doctor told me to eat again. My mom suggested that I start eating stir fry again cause I was never sick when I ate stir fry. Its true.

Maybe my body is sick of chicken. lol I refuse to eat any other meat.

I will drop the chicken for now. But what about these symptoms? Can an intolerance make this kind of reaction? I mean its bad.

if by "these symptoms", you mean constipation and intense abdominal pain as you attempt to pass a bowel movement - yeah, an intolerance can do that. you still need to get protein, and may need to find out if it's protein in general, you may have to try other meats (not poultry), unless you decide you want to go vegetarian.

intense abdominal pain as you attempt to pass a bowel movement
-

Thats the thing. Going to the bathroom has nothing to do with it.

you still need to get protein,
you may have to try other meats (not poultry),

Never. :huh:

unless you decide you want to go vegetarian.

If thats what I have to do, it's ok with me.

In that case, what should I be eating to give me strength and/or energy? I just don't know what to eat, at all.

hathor Contributor

It does seem like the chicken is a strong possibility.

Do you notice a problem with added fats? Skimming back I see you reacted one time when you had some margarine and here you had some mayo. I can really suffer when I have high fat, particularly added fat. Mayo would kill me due to the fat and the egg.

Is the chicken you are having with or without the skin?

It isn't the end of the world to go vegetarian :lol: There is sufficient protein in plant foods -- no reason to eat meat if it hurts you. Perhaps you can commit yourself to just a two week trial without the chicken or any other meat and see how you do.

I wish I, or someone else here or your doctor, could tell you for sure. But it looks increasingly like it will be up to you to figure out by trial and error what causes your problems. It would be easier to figure out if you stick with adding one food at a time. With chicken and mayo and salsa all at once, you can't tell which thing you are reacting to.

It does seem like the chicken is a strong possibility.

Is the chicken you are having with or without the skin?

It isn't the end of the world to go vegetarian :lol: There is sufficient protein in plant foods -- no reason to eat meat if it hurts you. Perhaps you can commit yourself to just a two week trial without the chicken or any other meat and see how you do.

I wish I, or someone else here or your doctor, could tell you for sure. But it looks increasingly like it will be up to you to figure out by trial and error what causes your problems. It would be easier to figure out if you stick with adding one food at a time. With chicken and mayo and salsa all at once, you can't tell which thing you are reacting to.

I agree that its looking like chicken is a culprit. I used to be a vegetarian and I would be ok doing that again. The reason I started to eat chicken again was because of my misdiagnosis. For a while I couldn't eat salad, tomatoes (esp tom sauce) and dairy. Things changed and I ate that stuff again, 6 months later, I have celiac disease. Sald went right through me and made me terribly sick, tom sauce gave me severe ab pains and dairy did the same. Plus the constipation.

So I had no choice but to add chick.

To answer you ? about the chicken. Its w/o the skin.

Now this

Do you notice a problem with added fats? Skimming back I see you reacted one time when you had some margarine and here you had some mayo. I can really suffer when I have high fat, particularly added fat. Mayo would kill me due to the fat and the egg.

What do you mean added fats? mayo and margarine.. what else?

I have to say that I was sick for a week before eating the mayo, salsa and chick last night, so I don't want to pinpoint that. Chick yes. mayo, not so much. That was the first time I had mayo and egg products since dec 27th.

The butter I use is the 100% canola margarine. What about that is bad? The oils? Also, what kind of butter/margarine should I use?

I really appreciate everything! :D

BTW there is wheat in joint compound and every time I have gotten sick, I was working around the stuff. :( BUT, I still need to figure this food stuff out cause of the gas pains after I eat.

Bobbi

aikiducky Apprentice

Do you mean you have been working around wheat stuff the last weeks, more or less the same time frame as this thread here, or did I read that wrong?

One thing that maybe is useful for you to know is... if I have been glutened, EVERYTHING will give me bloating and discomfort for a week or two afterwards. At least, it used to. Now, after three years gluten free, I recover more quickly. I get bloating and discomfort - you might very well get gas pains or something else.

This means that after a glutening, it's impossible to say what you may or may not react to for a week or two. First you need to recover from the gluten exposure.

Pauliina

hathor Contributor

By "added fat," I mean anything that is 100% fat. I eat some naturally high-fat plant foods to a limited extent. But at home at least, I rarely eat anything with oil in it. Occasionally I will use a tiny bit of olive oil if a recipe absolutely needs it, figuring that this is closer to a real food as was created by nature (they just press the stuff out -- it isn't like corn oil, etc., where extensive processing is necessary). But often oil can be left out or cut far back from what a recipe says.

I'm not quite sure how to answer your questions about what is so bad about this stuff and what should you use.

Philosophically, I think people are better off with foods as nature presents them, instead of some component getting engineered out. I can point out examples, such as soy being better than isolated soy protein, or foods with beta carotene being better than beta carotene supplements. Whether this is true for every food, well, I can't prove that. I put the burden of proof as to safety on the engineered food, as opposed to those who think it isn't safe. If the evidence isn't clear cut, I opt against the food. (How often what we do comes down to burden of proof!)

In terms of my dietary research, I believe added fats aren't good for people for a number of reasons. You can look at the Mcdougall website yourself and see if you agree or not. (One link -- there is lots there Open Original Shared Link I also found persuasive the separate studies by Drs. Esselstyn and Ornish on reversal of heart disease using very low fat diets (with no added fat -- we are talking 10% fat overall). I have a strong family history of heart disease.

Personally, I have reached the point that high fat consumption, particularly oils, can make my gut suffer badly. It isn't all the time, but enough of the time that I am very careful. Indeed, it was my difficulty with fats that caused the research that led me to McDougall to begin with. I have a family history of gall bladder disease too, and I think I was beginning to go down that path.

You may not react to oils like this. You may disagree with Dr. McDougall, Dr. Esselstyn, and others in that camp. That is your perogative. However, I can't really recommend a butter/margarine, because I don't use one and haven't for years.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
My doctor told me to eat, just not foods with gluten. :(

yesterday I ate :

3/4 c. applesauce

no reactions

2 hours later string cheese

2 hours later no symptoms. hungry though.

rice cakes with peanut butter (peanuts and salt)(no reaction)

gluten-free oats with sugar 1c.

later had more with honey (no reactions)

Today I ate:

banana (no reaction)

rice cereal w/ rice milk (no reaction)

string cheese (no reaction)

chicken, mayo, salsa (oh oh)

20 minutes later. I was hurting. This is bad, it can't possibly be just an intolerance. I feel like I've been glutened. Just not as severe.

The only thing I can do is curl up in a ball and cry. I don't know what else to do. It hurts to breathe even.

Does this even make sense? Cause it sure doesn't to me. I also want to point out the fact that I don't run to the bathroom and spend some pretty painful time there. In fact, that rarely happens. People are always saying that the D part is horrible... When? when does that happen.

Please tell me what to do. You see why eating is not working for me? I don't know what to eat. Atleast not anymore.

I can't continue to be this sick. Someone please tell me whats going on

It makes perfet sense if you are celiac. Oats would be a delayed reaction that may have lead to your symptoms after you ate the next day. The number of folks who can tolerate oats is not real high you should drop those until you are symptom free.

Also the mayo and the salsa, did you make sure that they are derived from non gluten grains? Not all celiacs can tolarate gluten vinagers.

With your tummy being the way it is you shouldn't even consider salsa, whether gluten free or not right now.

You also should be dropping dairy for a couple of months at least. You need the villi that are damaged to digest dairy, without them a couple of hours after consuming it you will have symptoms. Your doctor should have told you about that when you were diagnosed but he probably didn't.

loraleena Contributor

I agree with the last post. The mayo might not be gluten free and some can't even tolerate distilled vinegar. Get rid of the oats, they could be contaminated. Also margarine is toxic! It is made with hydrogenated oils which are extremely bad for your body! Stick to butter or try raw coconut oil instead. Have you tried taking digestive enzymes before you eat? These may help with digestion of grains, protiens, fats, and lactose.

Do you mean you have been working around wheat stuff the last weeks, more or less the same time frame as this thread here, or did I read that wrong?

One thing that maybe is useful for you to know is... if I have been glutened, EVERYTHING will give me bloating and discomfort for a week or two afterwards. At least, it used to. Now, after three years gluten free, I recover more quickly. I get bloating and discomfort - you might very well get gas pains or something else.

This means that after a glutening, it's impossible to say what you may or may not react to for a week or two. First you need to recover from the gluten exposure.

Pauliina

I'm pretty sure I was glutened a few days before christmas. Then I had really bad pains last week and again a few days ago. After the first one mentioned. I have not been better. So, that makes total sense.

If indeed there is wheat in the plaster in my house, then, I am putting myself in danger every day. They are trying to hurry and finish, then clean up all the dust. How potent is this stuff and for how long? We all have joint compound in our houses. There must be a time frame for when its no longer poison. I sure hope so cause its my bedroom they are doing. :o

I was feeling ok when I woke up, just some after effects but ok, i guess. Then I went to Home depot to pick some things up. When I got out of the car I realized my stomach was sore, then after walking around HD, I felt like I need to move really slowly cause of the pain. Is this the kind of side effects that happen after being glutened? and is there anything I can do about it? I have to be able to get up and move around.

It feels like my stomach is super tight, like I just worked my abs for an hour and pushed it too far. This pain seems to come and go. It stops when Ilay down and rest, but as soon as I get up and start moving a bit, its back.

Archived