This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Peeling Lips

Sharon Marie

Sharon Marie Apprentice

My lips constantly peel. Its almost like an overgrowth of skin. Does anyone else have this problem? And is there anything besides diet that will help alleviate this problem?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

YoloGx Rookie
My lips constantly peel. Its almost like an overgrowth of skin. Does anyone else have this problem? And is there anything besides diet that will help alleviate this problem?

Hi Sharon,

I used to have this problem with shredding lips as has my brother. Diet is major solution for this. However there are herbs that can help--like dandelion root with possibly burdock root and maybe something for detoxing the gut like yellow dock one week and oregon grape root the next. The idea is that the body uses the skin as another avenue to detox especially if things are otherwise not working right. The skin peeling seems to be related to this. Thus the above liver and gut detox herbs are very helpful against these pesky skin conditions.

I also again think that the Co-enzyme B vitamins help. I was low on B-1 despite taking B complex forever. I discovered taking the co-enzyme B's are so much more useable for the body since they get absorbed directly into the blood stream. It can make all the difference if that is what you need. Its thus best to take the co-enzyme B vitamins away from meals. My heart no longer palpates and my legs and feet no longer burn etc. The B vitamins are also essential to having beautiful, resilient skin. People often comment onmy glowing skin, which is quite a compliment since I used to have terrible skin.

Another thing that is often useful is extra vitamin D for people who have celiac. It makes it so you can absorb calcium as well as helps with other needed enzymatic processes. Basically we are talking about malabsorption of calcium and the other minerals due to flattened villi and scar tissue. Things like a good liquid Sea Mineral supplement and/or Kelp capsules are essential to help make up for this.

Ditto with magnesium which can also help with elimination. Make sure the caps are non gluten of course.

For the vitamin D I use cod liver oil but not everyone can digest the oil. Depends on if your stomach produces enough HCL or not. However you can take vitamin D tablets. The oil however also gives one extra vitamain A as well as omega 3's--both of which help the skin.

GLA's like Evening Primrose oil might also help both your nerves and skin problems. Traditionally we celiacs have low essential fatty acids etc. which harms our nervous system as well as the skin.

I have found too that taking things that heal the lining of the gut helps overall for all these issues. Thus taking Bromelain/papain not only to hlep digest meals but also away from them with Nattokinase can be a life saver for removing scar tissue in the intestines as well as elsewhere. Plus things like Slippery Elm and Marshmallow Root taken regularly makes a world of difference in your ability to recover and be more resilient and beautiful by healing the lining of the intestines.

Try this stuff and see if your lips etc. respond. Let me know how it goes. Just remember nothing is a magic bullet. One has to adopt a way of life and thus possibly a whole array of things. It may be a lot of trouble but getting healthy makes it worth it. Eventually you won't have to take the herbs as frequently. For myself not only has my skin improved but also my hair. I used to have thin straight hair--whereas now it has gotten thicker and actually wavy! Ditto for my fingernails (now stronger instead of peeling) and teeth that finally hardened.

And thanks for adding me to your group of friends!

Yolo.

Sharon Marie Apprentice
Hi Sharon,

I used to have this problem with shredding lips as has my brother. Diet is major solution for this. However there are herbs that can help--like dandelion root with possibly burdock root and maybe something for detoxing the gut like yellow dock one week and oregon grape root the next. The idea is that the body uses the skin as another avenue to detox especially if things are otherwise not working right. The skin peeling seems to be related to this. Thus the above liver and gut detox herbs are very helpful against these pesky skin conditions.

I also again think that the Co-enzyme B vitamins help. I was low on B-1 despite taking B complex forever. I discovered taking the co-enzyme B's are so much more useable for the body since they get absorbed directly into the blood stream. It can make all the difference if that is what you need. Its thus best to take the co-enzyme B vitamins away from meals. My heart no longer palpates and my legs and feet no longer burn etc. The B vitamins are also essential to having beautiful, resilient skin. People often comment onmy glowing skin, which is quite a compliment since I used to have terrible skin.

Another thing that is often useful is extra vitamin D for people who have celiac. It makes it so you can absorb calcium as well as helps with other needed enzymatic processes. Basically we are talking about malabsorption of calcium and the other minerals due to flattened villi and scar tissue. Things like a good liquid Sea Mineral supplement and/or Kelp capsules are essential to help make up for this.

Ditto with magnesium which can also help with elimination. Make sure the caps are non gluten of course.

For the vitamin D I use cod liver oil but not everyone can digest the oil. Depends on if your stomach produces enough HCL or not. However you can take vitamin D tablets. The oil however also gives one extra vitamain A as well as omega 3's--both of which help the skin.

GLA's like Evening Primrose oil might also help both your nerves and skin problems. Traditionally we celiacs have low essential fatty acids etc. which harms our nervous system as well as the skin.

I have found too that taking things that heal the lining of the gut helps overall for all these issues. Thus taking Bromelain/papain not only to hlep digest meals but also away from them with Nattokinase can be a life saver for removing scar tissue in the intestines as well as elsewhere. Plus things like Slippery Elm and Marshmallow Root taken regularly makes a world of difference in your ability to recover and be more resilient and beautiful by healing the lining of the intestines.

Try this stuff and see if your lips etc. respond. Let me know how it goes. Just remember nothing is a magic bullet. One has to adopt a way of life and thus possibly a whole array of things. It may be a lot of trouble but getting healthy makes it worth it. Eventually you won't have to take the herbs as frequently. For myself not only has my skin improved but also my hair. I used to have thin straight hair--whereas now it has gotten thicker and actually wavy! Ditto for my fingernails (now stronger instead of peeling) and teeth that finally hardened.

And thanks for adding me to your group of friends

Yolo.

Thank You!

My nails and hair are so thin! It feels good to know there is help! I have doubts that my intestines are healing yet. I am going to try all your suggestions.

Sharon Marie

sickchick Community Regular

I am having this problem BIG TIME right now... cracks in the corner of my mouth too.

Thanks for the post & info you guys

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I am having this problem BIG TIME right now... cracks in the corner of my mouth too.

Thanks for the post & info you guys

You need to up your intake of vitamin B. The cracks in the corner of your mouth are one of the signs that you may be deficint in it. If you are not taking a good gluten-free vitamin with the B's you should add one in.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I used to always have the cracked lips before going gluten-free. It was always in the corner of my mouth. I would get it cleared up and then it would return. It was so frustrating.

I also used to get these sores in the back of my mouth on my gum lines, at first I thought it was my wisdom teeth, they were coming in at that time. I got my wisdom teeth out after going gluten-free. On day I got glutened and those sores returned almost immediately after I had ate...so that was another symptom I had.

I actually have been taking a b complex for years and I ordered the coenzyme b today :) hopefully it will help~

I also got a bottle of Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm, Bromelain and Milk Thistle (liver detox)

Crossing my fingers~ B)

thanks guys!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Sharon Marie Apprentice
I actually have been taking a b complex for years and I ordered the coenzyme b today :) hopefully it will help~

I also got a bottle of Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm, Bromelain and Milk Thistle (liver detox)

Crossing my fingers~ B)

thanks guys!!!

Do you take all three at the same time or do you alternate them ???

Should I stagger them?

YoloGx Rookie
Should I stagger them?

You can stagger them -- but you don't need to. Though I usually take the marshmallow root and slippery elm caps with food. I take the co-enzyme vitamin B complex completely away from food (last thing at night and maybe first thing in the morning if I can remember--or mid afternoon).

The dandelion root some say you can take continuously. However to be on the safe side you might want to alternate it one week on and one week off. With maybe the off week taking milk thistle extract instead. Same with oregon grape root one week and yellow dock the next. This has made a world of difference for me and my ex boyfriend who also has celiac (we are still friends). He tells me I am some kind of genious since when he has his mash (see below) he feels so much better afterwards.

I would alternate the burdock too -- though I discovered not everyone can handle it. Try it and see. It is great for the skin.

Start maybe with low doses then work up.

About cooking them up (a cheaper alternative): I use 1 tablespoon per quart of water for each herb if I have the raw herb and make a mash. Boil slowly 20 to 30 minutes. Maybe add some licorice root at the end as an adaptogen which also helps the lungs and adrenals. Licorice also improves the taste. Though careful when you boil it since it has a tendency to froth.

Licorice root however raises the blood pressure after 10 days of use -- important to note in case you have high blood pressure. However I have noticed most people with DH and celiac have low blood pressure due to the nervous system and thus the heart often enlarges and beat slowly and irregularly due to the effects of malabsorption. This reverses with the effective B vitamins. If you can handle yeast Brewers Yeast is a good source of vitamins and then add folic acid and sublingual B-12. I just could not do that brewers yeast however since I have a problem with candida overgrowth etc. Recently I have been taking pao de arco and barberry for the fungus which has really been helping as well as my usual doses of garlic.

Please let me know how you are doing with all this. I really like to know how it all affects others. If enough people try it and it works maybe we could do a study and really help people with it even if we are just amateurs. Maybe we could get a doctor to do an official study with it. The herbs and B vitamins and Vitamin D plus minerals certainly have saved my life since my kidneys were also losing it as a young adult--not to speak of my skin, joints and brain.

There is other stuff too like the enzymes but more on that later. I just posted a big deal on all this on another dsicussion dealing with kidney problems.

I spent so many years poring over herbals etc. Anything I could get my hands on and thank heavens it has really paid off though I still have my struggles its nothing like it was. For the first time I feel young despite being 58 years old!! And thankfully (?!) with celiac there is a tendency to longevity if you can survive the miasma of being glutened and get over it. With flexible joints (OK a little too flexible, but hey!) and residual often well developed imagination and determination at the very least.

----Yolo

Holy cow Yolo, I am going to try the mash thank you soooooooooooooo much! B)

lovelove

sickchick

Sharon Marie Apprentice
You can stagger them -- but you don't need to. Though I usually take the marshmallow root and slippery elm caps with food. I take the co-enzyme vitamin B complex completely away from food (last thing at night and maybe first thing in the morning if I can remember--or mid afternoon).

The dandelion root some say you can take continuously. However to be on the safe side you might want to alternate it one week on and one week off. With maybe the off week taking milk thistle extract instead. Same with oregon grape root one week and yellow dock the next. This has made a world of difference for me and my ex boyfriend who also has celiac (we are still friends). He tells me I am some kind of genious since when he has his mash (see below) he feels so much better afterwards.

I would alternate the burdock too -- though I discovered not everyone can handle it. Try it and see. It is great for the skin.

Start maybe with low doses then work up.

About cooking them up (a cheaper alternative): I use 1 tablespoon per quart of water for each herb if I have the raw herb and make a mash. Boil slowly 20 to 30 minutes. Maybe add some licorice root at the end as an adaptogen which also helps the lungs and adrenals. Licorice also improves the taste. Though careful when you boil it since it has a tendency to froth.

Licorice root however raises the blood pressure after 10 days of use -- important to note in case you have high blood pressure. However I have noticed most people with DH and celiac have low blood pressure due to the nervous system and thus the heart often enlarges and beat slowly and irregularly due to the effects of malabsorption. This reverses with the effective B vitamins. If you can handle yeast Brewers Yeast is a good source of vitamins and then add folic acid and sublingual B-12. I just could not do that brewers yeast however since I have a problem with candida overgrowth etc. Recently I have been taking pao de arco and barberry for the fungus which has really been helping as well as my usual doses of garlic.

Please let me know how you are doing with all this. I really like to know how it all affects others. If enough people try it and it works maybe we could do a study and really help people with it even if we are just amateurs. Maybe we could get a doctor to do an official study with it. The herbs and B vitamins and Vitamin D plus minerals certainly have saved my life since my kidneys were also losing it as a young adult--not to speak of my skin, joints and brain.

There is other stuff too like the enzymes but more on that later. I just posted a big deal on all this on another dsicussion dealing with kidney problems.

I spent so many years poring over herbals etc. Anything I could get my hands on and thank heavens it has really paid off though I still have my struggles its nothing like it was. For the first time I feel young despite being 58 years old!! And thankfully (?!) with celiac there is a tendency to longevity if you can survive the miasma of being glutened and get over it. With flexible joints (OK a little too flexible, but hey!) and residual often well developed imagination and determination at the very least.

----Yolo

I feel like I am taking so many supplements right now.

Here is a list:

B12 2000 mcg per day (NOW instant energy)

Slippery Elm Bark 4 capsules 3 times a day with warm water between meals (Natures Way)

Magnesium with Chelated Zink 3 tablets a day with meals (Spring Valley)

Marshmallow Root 2 capsules 3 times per day with food (Natures Way)

Acidophilus with bio flora 1 capsule daily with food (Rexall)

Mature Complete Multivitamin one daily (EQUATE walmart brand)

Flaxseed Oil 1000 mg 1 daily (Spring Valley)

Odorless Garlic 1000 mg 1 capsule daily (Spring Valley)

Vitamin E 400 I U 1 capsule daily (Spring Valley)

Ferrous Sulfate 324 mg 1 tablet daily (Paddock)

Cod Liver Oil with A & D 1 capsule daily (Spring Valley)

Am I taking more then is reasonable ? I am trying so hard .

Thanks YoLo so much!

SharonMarie

buffettbride Enthusiast

This was one of my daughter's main symptoms, although we didn't know it at the time. If she gets glutened her lips get very, very dry. Before diagnosis, they were constantly peeling.

She uses petroleum jelly and drinks lots of water to treat it.

YoloGx Rookie

lovelove

sickchick

Hi Sickchick,

You are most welcome! It actually will be kind of exciting for me to find out how it works for others. It should since there is a long history to their use, however I haven't heard others talk about it in reference to celiac. It seems like even the naturopaths have forgotten about western herbs. This I think was because of past political reasons, not actual medical ones in my opinion. Ignorance has a way of spreading itself around when one is regecting the truths as well as the negatives of the past.

What kind of "sick" is it by the way?

Now the great news is that I don't seem to get sick--which to me seems like a minor miracle. Maybe a little tired from time to time but that's all--though without the herbs that would be a different story since I still seem to need them to remain on an even keel for my kidneys etc. Nevertheless it really is amazing since I was ill all my life starting at 4 months old with pneumonia after being introduced to grains no doubt plus a good does of radiation from Hanford Nuclear Power Plant's infamous "Green Run" experimental releases of radiation.

The herbs definitely helped (and still do help) but the final trick for me was as I said before the Co-enzyme B vitamins since the regular kind just went through me apparently. And B vitamins are necessary for basic carbohydrate and protein metabolism amongst other things.

Sometimes you have to adjust ingredients to the herbs a little since we are all different. My ex can't handle the burdock for instance. And my eldest sister can't handle herbs at all except for pao de arco. Some people do better on homeopathics etc. etc. As far as the herbs go, you might want to start slow to see how you do. I usually add some water afterwards since its pretty thick. I don't take it continuously. Maybe 3 days on, a week or two to 4 days off though when I have been really ill I took it all the time and just alterlnated the ingredients every week or so (that's why I listed the alternative ingredients). I find I often have it more in the winter just because of the cold weather.

Now I take barberry and pao de arco pretty regularly (with the marshmallow root) however since I got a fungal infecton which has kept sticking around--after I was on antibiotics for a bad bacterial infection roughly 3 and a half years ago.

This barberry really is making the fungus/candida go away. Its so strong I can only take 1/2 tsp. of the dry powder at a time 2 to 3 times a day. I pour boiling water over it and/or put it in the mash. Its stronger than anything I have ever seen, even chapparal. So be careful if you try it. Don't use it too long at a time if you have a sensitive stomach and take something soothing like Marshmallow with it.

Am hoping pretty soon you will be Healthy Chick!

Yolo

YoloGx Rookie
I feel like I am taking so many supplements right now.

Here is a list:

B12 2000 mcg per day (NOW instant energy)

Slippery Elm Bark 4 capsules 3 times a day with warm water between meals (Natures Way)

Magnesium with Chelated Zink 3 tablets a day with meals (Spring Valley)

Marshmallow Root 2 capsules 3 times per day with food (Natures Way)

Acidophilus with bio flora 1 capsule daily with food (Rexall)

Mature Complete Multivitamin one daily (EQUATE walmart brand)

Flaxseed Oil 1000 mg 1 daily (Spring Valley)

Odorless Garlic 1000 mg 1 capsule daily (Spring Valley)

Vitamin E 400 I U 1 capsule daily (Spring Valley)

Ferrous Sulfate 324 mg 1 tablet daily (Paddock)

Cod Liver Oil with A & D 1 capsule daily (Spring Valley)

Am I taking more then is reasonable ? I am trying so hard .

Thanks YoLo so much!

SharonMarie

Again you are most welcome Sharon Marie! I do hope what I have suggested helps. Please let me know if it does.

I know what you mean about taking all the supplements. If they make you feel better keep taking them. I find when I don't take mine I run out of energy. Oh well, its better than having to take coumadin!! etc. I certainly have a similar list though I also take kelp powder capsules and liquid sea minerals as well as E-Zorb calcium.

Now this last is controversial, however like many people with celiac I have great difficulty utilizing calcium. It used to be so bad I could peel my fingernails and often did!

The E-Zorb (calcium aspartate anhydrous) seems to me to work the best. I have experimented being on it and off it several times and on seems to be a lot better than off. My fingernails and aching joints don't lie. I also now however can eat organic non fat yogurt which of course helps too. But that doesn't change when I just use the cheaper calcium citrate. I also don't want to use bonemeal from ground up cows due to mad cow disease. I figure I have had to overcome enough problems as it is anyway. Any comments from others on this E-Zorb and/or the calcium question?

My understanding is that the Chinese did a study for many years to come up with more absorbable calcium due to a pressing need in their population (20% have calcium absorption problems). Finally they developed this anhydrous calcium that is supposedly at least 80% absorbable. However other than the E-Zorb people I hear nothing on this elsewhere although my mother reads Scientific American and said roughly 15 years ago she read about the Chinese study.... This could be because no one else has the propieatry rights I suppose. Or maybe I am mislead -- though as I said my fingernails don't lie, plus for once I had a blood test that showed I had too much calcium before I dialed back the E-zorb. This is someone (me) whose teeth were always too soft etc. which apparently is a family trait with this celiac.

Yolo

Hi Sickchick,

You are most welcome! It actually will be kind of exciting for me to find out how it works for others. It should since there is a long history to their use, however I haven't heard others talk about it in reference to celiac. It seems like even the naturopaths have forgotten about western herbs. This I think was because of past political reasons, not actual medical ones in my opinion. Ignorance has a way of spreading itself around when one is regecting the truths as well as the negatives of the past.

What kind of "sick" is it by the way?

Now the great news is that I don't seem to get sick--which to me seems like a minor miracle. Maybe a little tired from time to time but that's all--though without the herbs that would be a different story since I still seem to need them to remain on an even keel for my kidneys etc. Nevertheless it really is amazing since I was ill all my life starting at 4 months old with pneumonia after being introduced to grains no doubt plus a good does of radiation from Hanford Nuclear Power Plant's infamous "Green Run" experimental releases of radiation.

The herbs definitely helped (and still do help) but the final trick for me was as I said before the Co-enzyme B vitamins since the regular kind just went through me apparently. And B vitamins are necessary for basic carbohydrate and protein metabolism amongst other things.

Sometimes you have to adjust ingredients to the herbs a little since we are all different. My ex can't handle the burdock for instance. And my eldest sister can't handle herbs at all except for pao de arco. Some people do better on homeopathics etc. etc. As far as the herbs go, you might want to start slow to see how you do. I usually add some water afterwards since its pretty thick. I don't take it continuously. Maybe 3 days on, a week or two to 4 days off though when I have been really ill I took it all the time and just alterlnated the ingredients every week or so (that's why I listed the alternative ingredients). I find I often have it more in the winter just because of the cold weather.

Now I take barberry and pao de arco pretty regularly (with the marshmallow root) however since I got a fungal infecton which has kept sticking around--after I was on antibiotics for a bad bacterial infection roughly 3 and a half years ago.

This barberry really is making the fungus/candida go away. Its so strong I can only take 1/2 tsp. of the dry powder at a time 2 to 3 times a day. I pour boiling water over it and/or put it in the mash. Its stronger than anything I have ever seen, even chapparal. So be careful if you try it. Don't use it too long at a time if you have a sensitive stomach and take something soothing like Marshmallow with it.

Am hoping pretty soon you will be Healthy Chick!

Yolo

I can't wait to be Healthy Chick myself!!! :lol:

I can't believe how well this Marshmallow Root is working (for my digestive craziness) it's working better than the Psyllium I have been taking for about a year now! (wahoo!!)

I bought Marshmallow Root ( I eat 4)

Slippery Elm (I eat 2)

Evening Primrose (I eat one, I bought this biggest pill I could find lol)

Vitamin C

B complex (2)

Caltrate (2 +D)

Multivitamin

Milk Thistle (2)

Bromelain

5000 mcg Biotin

I bought (today) vitamin D (I am going to take 2000 ie)

Garlic

Acidophilus (the big 50 bill theraputic ones on an empty stomach, so I wake up in the middle of the night lol)

I have been suffering with Candida since high school, when my dr's felt it necessary to pump my little bosy full of antibiotics for various reasons, mainly sinus infections things of that nature.

Being as I was in high school I was very naive to what antibiotics do to a person's body. I had a lowered immune system because when I was 15 I was diagnosed with Epstein Barr. My health took a turn after that happened and I was sick all the time and had constant yeast infections.

By the time I was in College (23) I was having pelvic pains and all my tests were normal but my brilliant dr thought it was necessary to give me more antibiotics in higher doses over and over again and what was happening was my pelvic pain was actually getting WORSE (from the candida)

So needless to say by the time I was 25 I was under a tremendous amount of stress from everything, school life family etc my body went completely out of control and I all of a sudden I started reacting to everything that I put in my body. In microscopic amounts.

So for me it's a combination of Systemic Candida and Celiac Disease.

I have been taking antifungals for about a year and a half. And I was still having major digestive problems (and my ND was convinced it was my thyroid) I did tons of research on digestive disorders and came accross this place and put it together myself. I begged my ND to run the Celiac blood tests and she did. and sure enough.

Anyways I was suffering with symptoms for like 11 years. I am desperate to get my life back.

I am determined by the way to get better and NOTHING short of a freight train will stop me at this point! ;)

My lips quit peeling but the corners of my mouth are still bad. I am putting vitamin e oil on it to keep it from cracking worse.

Are you from Washington Yolo? :)

lovelove

sickchick

• 2 weeks later...
YoloGx Rookie

lovelove

sickchick

Hi Sick Chick,

Did you try the mash? Is it helping??

Am trying to find out if my remedies are helping here or not. I realize everyone is alittle different however this has helped my friend too.

Am thinking of recommending them at a celiac meeting in Santa Cruz, CA probably in April or March.

Yolo

Hi Sick Chick,

Did you try the mash? Is it helping??

Am trying to find out if my remedies are helping here or not. I realize everyone is alittle different however this has helped my friend too.

Am thinking of recommending them at a celiac meeting in Santa Cruz, CA probably in April or March.

Yolo

I think you are nothing short of Brilliant Yolo! I am having a little adjustment priod ( My body always does when I introduce new vitamins and herbs especially) but my lips are doing much much better!

Blessings, Sweetheart! :)

tom Contributor
My lips constantly peel. Its almost like an overgrowth of skin. Does anyone else have this problem?

Sure did. For years.

Until I found and stopped ingesting the FINAL food intolerance.

And is there anything besides diet that will help alleviate this problem?

Sure didn't seem to be for me.

tom Contributor

Oops double post

LOL!! Do you have this problem too Tom??

YoloGx Rookie
I think you are nothing short of Brilliant Yolo! I am having a little adjustment priod ( My body always does when I introduce new vitamins and herbs especially) but my lips are doing much much better!

Blessings, Sweetheart! :)

Yay!!

-----Yolo

PS more later--am off to a writing class

psipsina Rookie

I've had crazy problems with my lips cracking in the corners. I got one side healed up and the other one is tons better after a week and a half on antifungals and a candida diet. Something that helps me is to keep the area moisturized as they are healing so I don't re-crack them everytime I yawn or eat or brush my teeth. I've been using blistex because it numbs the pain too. When I started taking raw garlic every day I had the best results so far. I think I'm going to start taking marshmellow root as suggested here too (boy is my husband going to be happy when I add yet another supplement to my regimen! Every time we go to whole foods I buy something else lol).

moldlady Rookie

I used to have this problem too. People told me that I wasn't drinking enough water. I drink tons of water. Then, others told me I wasn't getting enough fat in my diet. Well, with all the nuts and seed butters I put on things I'm sure I'm getting enough.

The question I think should be....why isn't it getting into the tissues? Malabsorption? That could be a celiac thing.... or other reasons.

In the meantime, the only thing that has worked for me over the years is a product made by Mary kay and no I'm not a distributor or anything. In fact, i'm allergic/sensitive to just about all makeups so I just don't wear any. I'm sure there are some ingredients that are not good but it stopped my lips from pealing. Just a dab in the a.m. before work and I'm good all day!

It is called extra emollient night cream and comes in a 2.1 oz. tube. My tube has lasted for 3 years as you only need to use a little bit. It is a salmon color.

I hope this helps a bit.

moldlady :) smooooth lips!!

I used to have this problem too. People told me that I wasn't drinking enough water. I drink tons of water. Then, others told me I wasn't getting enough fat in my diet. Well, with all the nuts and seed butters I put on things I'm sure I'm getting enough.

The question I think should be....why isn't it getting into the tissues? Malabsorption? That could be a celiac thing.... or other reasons.

In the meantime, the only thing that has worked for me over the years is a product made by Mary kay and no I'm not a distributor or anything. In fact, i'm allergic/sensitive to just about all makeups so I just don't wear any. I'm sure there are some ingredients that are not good but it stopped my lips from pealing. Just a dab in the a.m. before work and I'm good all day!

It is called extra emollient night cream and comes in a 2.1 oz. tube. My tube has lasted for 3 years as you only need to use a little bit. It is a salmon color.

I hope this helps a bit.

moldlady :) smooooth lips!!

My guess would definitely be Malabsorption :)

xoxo

Archived