This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Peeling Lips

Sharon Marie

YoloGx Rookie
My guess would definitely be Malabsorption :)

xoxo

Hi sick chick and all, you and I have had some similar difficulties. I am fungied up to my ears so to speak. Used to be in my scalp too. Real nice down below you know where. Good ol antibiotics.

And yes I was born in Washington and lived there a few times as a young adult. Hey Washington was where I was exposed to radiation as an infant from the Green Run when I almost died from pneumonia and "faliure to thrive" at 4 months after being just fine beforehand--probably from the exposure plus I think being introduced to grains. It is such beautiful country, its too bad that radiation series was done to it and those living there. My parents worked there near Walla Walla as anthropologists. I now live back in the Bay Area of California. My remedies always seem to work more easily for others than on me but now I am finally getting my own back. Thank heavens!! Its only taken almost 40 years to put the pieces together.

The edges of my mouth used to crack as well as above my ears. This really did stop for me when I started using the herbs, not just marshmallow root though that is a big help all by itself. Don't forget the slippery elm caps too! Good for helaing ruined villi. Plus bromelain/papain.

Again the Co-enzyme B vitamins help better than regualr B vitamins for me and seem to have helped a few others here who have tried them. They bipass the liver and go directly into the blood stream so you get their benefit despite your messed up colon etc. etc. I think if you can handle yeast then regular brewers yeast and black strap mollasses based B's are fine but not so for people like me. Further however the usual petroleum based B's are pretty worthless for anyone in my opinion.

I also get itches and cracks from systemic fungus like sick chick. Recently I have found taking the pao de arco plus barberry internally does wonders. I like to add other things to it though like dandelion root, marshmallow root and yellow dock. Burdock is a systemic and good for the liver and skin. Oregano oil caps are also a help--or just rub the oil on your wrists etc. Don't take it other than the caps internally however since its too strong. Thyme oil is also good externally. The skin is a big absorber as well as a detoxer.

In a pinch I will just use vaseline on my lips or any cracks. Jojoba oil also works pretty well. You can also make a salve if you add powdered barberry to the vaseline. Put a lot of the herb in and mix in with a spoon thoroughly. Could add other things too (like neem powder and pao de arco) but I haven't tried it yet. Works better than over the counter as is however. I'd like to find a more organic carrier than vaseline however...

Its also important to have good oils for your skin--thus take plenty of Omega 3's etc. I find given my heritage that cod liver oil is best. I use olive oil for salads etc. And coconut oil is great for cooking in pancakes. Butter seems best for frying (at a low heat).

Please check my other posts for more details on herbs etc. since I have to run.

Yolo

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

moldlady Rookie

Yolo,

I've never met or talked to anyone that went through the "green run." That is just terrible. When I first found out about it, I would not buy apples from those areas thinking it still might be in the soils. Did you get any thyroid issues? If that is too personal you don't have to respond.

moldlady ....

YoloGx Rookie
Yolo,

I've never met or talked to anyone that went through the "green run." That is just terrible. When I first found out about it, I would not buy apples from those areas thinking it still might be in the soils. Did you get any thyroid issues? If that is too personal you don't have to respond.

moldlady ....

Thanks for asking actually.

Amazingly my thyroid is fine for the most part. I had issues of being too cold for years but by going on diet and taking the co-enzyme B's I am finally over that. For a while I took thyroxin and ended up being hyperthyroid--and had to go through this whole thing to get past that. My sisters however have low thyroid issues--as has my mother pre-Green Run (i.e., as a child). Probably the radiation contributed to making it so everyone in my family has this celiac rather than just a couple of us. We also have a brother who has Down's.

The Green Run in Dec. of 1949 spread to parts of 3 states--Washington, Idaho and Oregon. And then they continued testing through the early 1950's. We moved however to Bothell close to Seattle when I turned 3.

Yolo

moldlady Rookie

Yolo,

Moving away probably saved you many more troubles!! Good thing your parents got you out of there. I think it is terrible that the gov did not warn anyone about what they were going to do.... This kind of thing was done years ago when they genetically altered some bacteria to spray on the crops so they would not freeze. The public was never warned of the test flights spraying this "new" bacteria over all the valley of southern california. We will never know the impact that might have had to people breathing in something brand new and foreign.

It is so important that people know how to eat to be well and to stay well because we are being assulted all the time by the environment and unknown dangers. It seems like by the time we find out, we have already taken part.

moldlady :)

psipsina Rookie
I used to have this problem too. People told me that I wasn't drinking enough water. I drink tons of water. Then, others told me I wasn't getting enough fat in my diet. Well, with all the nuts and seed butters I put on things I'm sure I'm getting enough.

The question I think should be....why isn't it getting into the tissues? Malabsorption? That could be a celiac thing.... or other reasons.

In the meantime, the only thing that has worked for me over the years is a product made by Mary kay and no I'm not a distributor or anything. In fact, i'm allergic/sensitive to just about all makeups so I just don't wear any. I'm sure there are some ingredients that are not good but it stopped my lips from pealing. Just a dab in the a.m. before work and I'm good all day!

It is called extra emollient night cream and comes in a 2.1 oz. tube. My tube has lasted for 3 years as you only need to use a little bit. It is a salmon color.

I hope this helps a bit.

moldlady :) smooooth lips!!

The thing that stops my lips from peeling is a lip gloss from philosophy called "kiss me" . . . they also make a lip exfoliant that I use. Its the only one that ever helped my peeling issue. The cracks on the side of my mouth are even better today so I think its definitely candida related.

moldlady Rookie
The thing that stops my lips from peeling is a lip gloss from philosophy called "kiss me" . . . they also make a lip exfoliant that I use. Its the only one that ever helped my peeling issue. The cracks on the side of my mouth are even better today so I think its definitely candida related.

that's great....

I see many people and children with this problem and it seems they keep licking them to try and moisten them and it just makes them more and more chapped.

ML :)

tom Contributor

I'm surprised no one else has weighed in w/ an experience similar to mine. (Or did I miss it?)

To recap, my lips peeled bad for *years*, then suddenly stopped last summer when I finally found the last food intolerance.

Nothing beats eliminating the source of the problem.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

YoloGx Rookie
Yolo,

Moving away probably saved you many more troubles!! Good thing your parents got you out of there. I think it is terrible that the gov did not warn anyone about what they were going to do.... This kind of thing was done years ago when they genetically altered some bacteria to spray on the crops so they would not freeze. The public was never warned of the test flights spraying this "new" bacteria over all the valley of southern california. We will never know the impact that might have had to people breathing in something brand new and foreign.

It is so important that people know how to eat to be well and to stay well because we are being assulted all the time by the environment and unknown dangers. It seems like by the time we find out, we have already taken part.

Yeah actually they were doing an experiment on the locals --that's why they didn't tell anyone until they were found out in 1990. I suddenly heard this news on the radio and the guy they interviewed (some general so and so) actually said "we didn't realize we were doing anything wrong." I cried since I had so many health problems over the years. "Yeah that's why they didn't tell us!" is what went on in my mind.

When I moved up there to the East of the Cascades near the Canadian border for a year in 1990 -1991 everyone was thrusting these newspaper articles at me whether I wanted to read them or not. It has been hard to face. I generally don't think too hard about it since I don't want to give it too much energy, but at times I do get angry about it. I really don't want to participate in their little experiment. Other families were harder hit than ours. I think we have strong genes. However it still has affected us in silent ways. My eldest siter's first baby for instance was completely deformed -- but still born.

And this celiac mess is really amazing. One of the most unfortunate things about it is how it causes depression and lack of short term memory, mental cloudiness and anxiety, not to mention constant colds, bronchitis and flus as well as tendency to fungus/candida and bad skin not to mention either diarreah or constipation. It really puts a damper on a lot of things, including careers and relationships. I am so glad I know more about it now and have figured out how I can combat it more effectively.

Sounds like you have had your own struggles, maybe in Southern California?

It is outrageous what the attitude of the powers that be have been. I really think about this from time to time and get quite upset at how injurious we are being in the Middle East as well. I can easily imagine what its like growing up in a war torn country without adequate water or medical supplies etc. etc. We had it far better of course. But the lack of concern for the well being of others by certain parties of the government is the same. Somehow this has got to change. The planet itself can't handle it much longer. Maybe in some ways we can think of ourselves as frontrunners who need to speak out somehow someway once we can get our act together and get healthy.

-----Yolo

moldlady Rookie

Yolo,

Actually, I was teaching environmental studies back in the 80s and that's how I know of many of these things that happened. Jeremy Rifkin has been a long time advocate for the consumer and brought many of these things to the public eye that would have normally been put under the carpet. It is sad that these things happened without our knowledge but afterward we are not given direction as to where to go from here......

I'm thinking that many of the website forums are almost a type of underground like system where people can get some sort of direction and help.

One of the things I found interesting is that those people that survived the radiation exposure in Japan are actually healthier and are living longer than everyone else. Know one seems to know why? So, it almost seems like maybe some radiation might be a good thing?

YoloGx Rookie
Yolo,

Actually, I was teaching environmental studies back in the 80s and that's how I know of many of these things that happened. Jeremy Rifkin has been a long time advocate for the consumer and brought many of these things to the public eye that would have normally been put under the carpet. It is sad that these things happened without our knowledge but afterward we are not given direction as to where to go from here......

I'm thinking that many of the website forums are almost a type of underground like system where people can get some sort of direction and help.

One of the things I found interesting is that those people that survived the radiation exposure in Japan are actually healthier and are living longer than everyone else. Know one seems to know why? So, it almost seems like maybe some radiation might be a good thing?

It's actually possible. Though maybe its just the strong that survive anyway assumsing it doesn't kill you. I don't know if a little radiation can make one stronger. Certainly it tests one. I almost died twice--once as an infant and once as a young adult with advancing kidney disease. Both of which I licked somehow--figuring out about diet certainly helped even back then and even though it wasn't the whole picture.

Thus it seems my spirit is strong even though my body certainly hasn't been in the past. Now however I don't even get a sniffle. I still have some kind of internal fungus problem however. Was just at the Y a little too long last night (in the sauna plus swimming) and was out of it until 10 PM today. I managed at work but it was a definite: "oh that stuff again..." I think the heat helps kill the little beasties off but then there is the die-off residuals...sort of like getting a hangover.

What you say about Jeremy Rifkin sounds interesting. Seems I either missed or misplaced those memories somewhere. Some vague recollection but that's all. Where might I find info on him?

By the way, I think there is a renewed interest in the environment starting about now. Just heard there was some kind of day long extravaganza that way in San Francisco at one of the colleges. There is hope for the future; we just have to strategize and take action. Some say we only have another 10 years before its too late...Mr. Bush has certainly propelled Global Warming and a lot of other related things forward. Maybe its time to step up again. I certainly am thinking about it--even if this time its as a creative writer and artist--though I am also thinking about writing a book of remedies...

Yolo

moldlady Rookie

Yolo,

A book on the remedies (natural I presume), would be great!

Do a google search on J. Rifkin and I'm sure stuff will come up. The guy knows more about what the gov. has done to the consumer without their knowledge than anyone I know. I heard about him in the early 80s when I was teaching.

I know what it means to get too much die off! Yes, at least a day of trying to get back on track!

YoloGx Rookie
Yolo,

A book on the remedies (natural I presume), would be great!

Do a google search on J. Rifkin and I'm sure stuff will come up. The guy knows more about what the gov. has done to the consumer without their knowledge than anyone I know. I heard about him in the early 80s when I was teaching.

I know what it means to get too much die off! Yes, at least a day of trying to get back on track!

Thanks ML! I think doing the book is a must. It seems a lot of people don't have the appetite for herbs and diet such that I do. Have been investigating this for years and the stuff really does seem to work. To tell the truth my friends have encouraged me to do so for years however I wanted to be healthy before I did it. I will be giving a talk in Santa Cruz in April for this same reason--my ex told the support group about my knowledge and they seemed enthusiastic. Certainly I am also since now I finally have my life back for the most part for the first time so to speak.

I did look up Rifkin, but there was no mention of the Green Run associated with his name. He seems to be an advocate of hydrogen energy and other environmental issues--mainly with the Greens and the European Union.

I should probably hook up with the Greens sometime. I used to be politically active but again my health got in the way. I did get a BA in poli sci however and minored in philosophy. Got straight A's in it--between being ill with bronchitis etc. and eventually quit it due to kidney disease. While ill I realized I did not want to be part of some East Coast right wing think tank--or do statistical studies to support my theories about the collective unconscious and politics. I just did not trust the system as it was. I eventually became an artist and poet instead--and self taught herbalist on the side.

Yolo

sickchick Community Regular

I have been taking these herbs for 2 weeks and my lips are CLEAR as of today~! Thanks Yolo!! :)

YoloGx Rookie
I have been taking these herbs for 2 weeks and my lips are CLEAR as of today~! Thanks Yolo!! :)

More yays!!

Because of you I have started my aged mom today on some of the herbs too. She actually didn't mind the taste--which is pretty amazing. I added the licorice for taste, as well as to lift up the adrenals. Am crossing my fingers. She might get worse first then better if she has a healing crisis.

Overall her memory is starting to reappear meanwhile just from avoiding gluten while still eating chocolate and non gluten cookies and crackers etc. I shake my head in non understanding but then she doesn't have a fungus problem like I do. I am glad for her that is the case.

However her skin is still a mess, though not as bad as it was...thus the herbs to the rescue. I hope!

Yolo

moldlady Rookie
Thanks ML! I think doing the book is a must. It seems a lot of people don't have the appetite for herbs and diet such that I do. Have been investigating this for years and the stuff really does seem to work. To tell the truth my friends have encouraged me to do so for years however I wanted to be healthy before I did it. I will be giving a talk in Santa Cruz in April for this same reason--my ex told the support group about my knowledge and they seemed enthusiastic. Certainly I am also since now I finally have my life back for the most part for the first time so to speak.

I did look up Rifkin, but there was no mention of the Green Run associated with his name. He seems to be an advocate of hydrogen energy and other environmental issues--mainly with the Greens and the European Union.

I should probably hook up with the Greens sometime. I used to be politically active but again my health got in the way. I did get a BA in poli sci however and minored in philosophy. Got straight A's in it--between being ill with bronchitis etc. and eventually quit it due to kidney disease. While ill I realized I did not want to be part of some East Coast right wing think tank--or do statistical studies to support my theories about the collective unconscious and politics. I just did not trust the system as it was. I eventually became an artist and poet instead--and self taught herbalist on the side.

Yolo

Yolo,

It seems like you have many talents and probably had a hard time decided on just what you wanted to do in life. Now, you are here trying to help people and yourself! I think it is a great mission to help people get well.

I read what you said about your mother. My mother only did well when I was with her and controlling things for her. As soon as I would leave, all the bad habits came back and health went down hill. If I'd have known some 25 years ago about this fungus stuff and celiac, I'd have maybe helped her live a longer life. I've only known about fungus for about 10 years and only practiced it for 8. Celiac disease I've played with in the 90s and then went away from it and now I'm back from a nice invitation from a friend.

I'd love to hear about other remedies and things that you have discovered along the way..

• 2 weeks later...
KEY10 Newbie
My lips constantly peel. Its almost like an overgrowth of skin. Does anyone else have this problem? And is there anything besides diet that will help alleviate this problem?

Sharon,

I have this exact problem very bad right now. I'm 18 years old, and I'm not sure if I have celiac desease or not... I wouldn't think so. Have you learned anything about this condition? It is called exfoliative cheilitis. It is crippling my social life personally being in high school and everything. Please respond if you have figured out whats is causing this for you or if you have any response in general.

• 1 month later...
Sharon Marie Apprentice
Sharon,

I have this exact problem very bad right now. I'm 18 years old, and I'm not sure if I have celiac desease or not... I wouldn't think so. Have you learned anything about this condition? It is called exfoliative cheilitis. It is crippling my social life personally being in high school and everything. Please respond if you have figured out whats is causing this for you or if you have any response in general.

Oh! I just found your post! I am still feeling new to trying to sort through all that I may be intolerant to. My lips have finally stopped peeling but still need Vaseline to prevent extreme dryness. I was dependent on blistex for years until I heard here that its bad stuff.

I sympathize with you hon! I do think it is very possibly celiac thats causing it. Please do let me know how things are with you.

SharonMarie

ISGoddess Newbie

I've started taking both fish oil and evening primose oil. First time all winter my lips haven't been cracked/chapped/peeling.

Alona Newbie

I'm starting to really like this message board... Even though I haven't had my test yet, more and more things keep popping up that fit the DH diagnosis.

I can remember from an early age my mom (who has celiac) bitting at her lips and having flaky skin there. She told me it was a nervous habit, but as I've entered adulthood I have found myself doing the same thing. Each morning I wake up with moist skin built up on my lips which I rub off when I clean my face, but it just comes back again.

I am interested in try this dandelion root; my father told me when he was young (and they were poor) that his family would make dandelion leaf stew to eat, so I've always known it's ok to use on yourself. I wonder if anyone knows how to make a dandelion root salve? I would be very interested in making a salve to put on my lips to test out.

Archived