This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

gluten-free Hair Products

Guest tamedandfoxed

Guest tamedandfoxed

I found out all my beloved Aussie products are unsafe, which may explain outbreaks on my cheeks! While it's nice to know these things, i have very thick hair that needs help! Suave never called me back.. I need a shampoo, conditioner and most importantly, a strong hair gel. ANY suggestions?? thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Dove products are gluten-free, that is what I am using.

Belinda Meeker Apprentice

Ok now I have a huge ? how r they when they too contain Alcohol <_<

I also have been searching for good hair care and only found out that children shampoo's r alcohol free .

So did u call them at dove and ask?

If they contain alcohol the owner of our local heath food store says none r safe ;)

Thanks Bea

hollyres Explorer

Neutragena Clean Shampoo & Conditioner is - that is what I use. I checked it out with the company.

No ideas on gel...

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I recently tried and love Marc Anthonys line. They are made in Canada but I found them at Rite Aid. They don't contain either gluten or soy ingredients, at least not the moisterizing Aromatherapy shampoo and conditioner, I didn't check all of them.

Another real good one is Giovanni, if you like organics. They do have soy protein though so it is out for me. It was what I used to use.

Suave will clearly label all gluten ingredients so just read the label and look for wheat or oats and you should be okay.

debmidge Rising Star

DHS by Person & Covey, Inc, Glendale CA

Fragrance free, no gluten ingredients

Shampoo & hair rinse/conditioner

Guest tamedandfoxed
I recently tried and love Marc Anthonys line. They are made in Canada but I found them at Rite Aid. They don't contain either gluten or soy ingredients, at least not the moisterizing Aromatherapy shampoo and conditioner, I didn't check all of them.

Another real good one is Giovanni, if you like organics. They do have soy protein though so it is out for me. It was what I used to use.

Suave will clearly label all gluten ingredients so just read the label and look for wheat or oats and you should be okay.

Suave will label WHEAT but not gluten specifically as it's not one of the main 8 allergies. they couldn't be sure whether their fragrance had gluten in it or not as it comes from a different company... ugh

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

b91hd7fjk Apprentice

This may sound very idiotic but isnt it considered gluten-free if there is no "wheat germ oil" or wheat proteins in it? Sorry, I am trying to convert an have been using Kiehls products...some of their stuff has wheat germ but the stuff I use does not...does this run the risk of cross contamination????

-Staci

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I have never had a problem with Aussie shampoo's or conditioners. Just because a shampoo or conditioner has alcohol in it, does not mean it is wheat! I react to wheat in any product that touches my skin and I have never reacted to Aussie, I am using Aussie shampoo now. I use Pantene products, as a rule. KaitiUSA just told me to try Dove, which I will, she says it works very well on her very thick hair. For years I have used the Aussie 3-Minute Conditioner and never had a problem!

gfmolly Contributor

I use Aussie gel and Aussie leave in conditioner as well and do not have any problems with it, to second DarlindaB's post.

Terri

debmidge Rising Star

I had a phone discussion with a L'Oreal rep last month and she said that Fragrances in general can be suspect (of gluten) and there's no way to tell if there's gluten in a fragrance (unless of course you have a reaction). She mentioned that unscented doesn't mean that there's no fragrance in it - it has a "masking agent." And that Fragrance free has no fragrance in it at all and has no chance of gluten in it.

I guess then, unless you get a reaction from a product with fragrance, there's no real way to tell if a fragrance is gluten free ....

Guest tamedandfoxed
I have never had a problem with Aussie shampoo's or conditioners. Just because a shampoo or conditioner has alcohol in it, does not mean it is wheat! I react to wheat in any product that touches my skin and I have never reacted to Aussie, I am using Aussie shampoo now. I use Pantene products, as a rule. KaitiUSA just told me to try Dove, which I will, she says it works very well on her very thick hair. For years I have used the Aussie 3-Minute Conditioner and never had a problem!

it's not the alcohol, it's the fragrance that contains gluten in it. i called specifically to ask. they said they could not guarantee gluten was not in their products

debmidge Rising Star

I try to keep everything gluten free in my home and I just found out that my conditioner has oat in it

Pantene Pro-V Blonde Expressions - Daily Color Enhancing - Highlight Enhancing

darlindeb25 Collaborator
it's not the alcohol, it's the fragrance that contains gluten in it. i called specifically to ask. they said they could not guarantee gluten was not in their products
My response was to someone questioning the alcohol in shampoo and conditioners and not the fragrance. I did specifically ask Pantene at one time about the shampoo I use and they did state it is gluten free and I have never been glutened by it, so I have always felt safe with it. The same stands true with the Aussie products I use.

Debmidge--Pantene has always stated that the color enhanced shampoo does contain gluten--the shampoos for blondes, redheads, and brunettes--that's why I never tried the one for brunettes--I did read that at one time. I always use their Color Revival Pro-V (made special for color treated hair), without a problem and I have used it for years.

Today, I went to J.C. Penney's Salon for a hair cut. I was looking over all of their speciality hair care products. Not only was I appalled at the prices, but the majority of them contain wheat protein, or wheat germ. They were unhappy with me when I would not allow them to wash my hair, I only allowed them to wet it down, then finally I did settle on a spray on conditioner that I felt was gluten free, but still was not sure--no hives though, so it must have been ok! Paul Mitchell lists wheat on the label, as did another. Bio Tex, I think was the name. I felt very unsafe in the salon, almost like asking if I could be seated 5 chairs away from all the others, so I was out of range of all the sprays! I had 6" cut off my hair :( I am still in some shock, but it does feel much lighter. She wanted to cut 6' more off, but I knew I would :( cry for 3 months then, I can't handle that much change. If it wasn't for all this thyroid mess, I wouldn't have cut it now! :angry: Darn doctors!

• 3 months later...
Rpm999 Contributor
Suave will label WHEAT but not gluten specifically as it's not one of the main 8 allergies. they couldn't be sure whether their fragrance had gluten in it or not as it comes from a different company... ugh

does anybody else have anything to say about this? suave is unliever and everybody says they label gluten

Lisa16 Collaborator

Korres sent me a gluten free list that includes:

almond proteins leave in conditioner spray

soft shine yucca wax

and the conditioners with herb balsalm, achillea and silk milk

these products are scented with the actual fruits/ plants. If you scroll down this forum you can see the whole list (lots of nice lotions, suntanning products and a good face cream.)

For the shampoo there is Burt's bees grapefruit and sugar beet super shiny shampoo and conditioner. I am not reacting to this; however, the shampoo has a strange sugar based cleansing agent that makes your hair feel pretty coarse if you don't use the conditioner with it.

Lisa

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I'm sorry, I never use Suave products, so I can't comment on them. They just can't handle my hair. My hair is very thick, and Suave conditioners, V05, White Rain--none of them work with my hair. I have to stick with more expensive products, much to my dismay. Even Dove, after Kaiti told me how well it works for her, it doesn't work for me--it leaves my hair with so much static, I could start my own electric company!!! :P

Garnier Fructis is a nice product too, but I still much prefer my Pantene. I was reading an article in Style magazine the other day about shampoo's and conditioner's. It listed several different brands, and rated them. It spoke very highly of Pantene, said it does not build up on your hair, it's a great product, and that it's comparable to many of the salon formulas--so, it still is my #1 product!!! I know my hair is very soft, managable, very shiny, and I get compliments all the time on my beautiful hair--so I guess I am doing something right!!!!

• 4 years later...
CeliacStudent2013 Rookie

gluten free hair products

biosilk therapy

got 2b

tresemme mousse

garnier fructis

CeliacStudent2013 Rookie

almay ,phsician formula

mary kate

, avon , cover girl, wet n wild

gluten free makeup