This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bread From Bean Flour Alone

Gentleheart

Gentleheart Enthusiast

I can't have any grain or starch whatsoever. I REALLY miss a good versatile bread to add variety and interest to my difficult diet. I need a loaf bread recipe made out of bean flour alone and NOT containing the following other allergens either:

dairy, soy, eggs, yeast and gluten, of course.

I'm using a stricter, modified version of the SCD so I can't use gums either.

Impossible? :huh:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Takala Enthusiast

What about very low starch nuts like almonds or walnuts ?

What about corn or are you counting that as part of the grain family? Do you react to it ?

What about quinoa ?

Do you know that you actually react to gums or are you just avoiding them because it says to on some list ?

I can do grainless recipes with nut meals but without a binding agent such as the protein in egg and/or dairy and/or gum, there is nothing left to use to hold the flour and liquid together.

Are there any egg replacers you can use ?

Do you react to flax?(flax seed can be used to make an egg substitute)

Do you react to hemp milk ?

What about oils ?

BytheBay has a recipe for chickpea flour socca flatbread on her blog. It has bean flour, salt, pepper, water, olive oil, and herbs in it, and is cooked in a heavy skillet on the stove and then the top is finished under the broiler. This is what also works very well with nut meal pancakes, if you can come up with some sort of acceptable protein or gum binder. The ones I make with eggs and water are stiff enough they can be cut into quarters and used as sandwich triangles.

Socca (chickpea flour) recipe:

Open Original Shared Link

RiceGuy Collaborator

Well, since bean flours also have some starch in them, and pretty much every vegetable I know does too, I'm guessing you can't handle large concentrations of starch, like corn, tapioca, or potato starch as is often added to bread recipes.

Anyway, there are certainly flours which are not from grains, which work well for breads. One is buckwheat, which is not actually a grain (no relation to wheat either). Other flours that work are from all sorts of different things, from coconut, to sweet potatoes, and even peas.

Here's a list of some flours:

As Takala points out, you will certainly need a binder of some sort. I use guar gum, which is a fiber from the guar bean. So that seems to fit your criteria.

In place of egg yokes, try lecithin. It does not have to be from soy, though I've read posts from members who can eat lecithin from soy, but not soy itself. If you do a Google search for sunflower lecithin, you will find a number of sources for it.

I don't use yeast either, and while the texture isn't the same as a yeast bread, it's good enough for me. I grew up on whole grain breads, so I never liked the garbage white bread. That alone makes it easier to accept the kind of breads I've been able to make.

Gentleheart Enthusiast

Thank you both! I really appreciate your detailed replies.

I am one of those people who in 2 years of very careful gluten free eating has pretty much gotten zero results.

My latest "try" is the SCD. And even it is heavily modified since I can't have dairy, almonds and eggs either. Pretty boring. But interestingly, I honestly think I am slowly, and I mean s l o w l y, noticing something in the last 2 weeks. It's like my body is finally resting. I still feel really tired and beat up, but kind of at rest for a change.

I am allergic to corn too. I was using buckwheat and hoping I could tolerate it. But I never made any headway while using it, so probably not. Quinoa is definitely out.

I seem to be OK with plain beef gelatin. I know that can be a good binder. Lecithin has been out because of the soy. But I did notice the sunflower lecithin online as well. I may have to experiment with that. I always used guar gum while I was getting no results, so I don't know for sure if it would cause trouble now. I hate to rock the boat. The SCD eliminates all the gums.

I tried the nut flour breads. But since I can't have almonds which work the best, I'm left with pecan and walnut for the most part. I just didn't find them very good made into breads or muffins.

I will certainly try the socca bread. I can have white beans. They should work similarly to the chickpeas, which I can't have.

I don't know if I would react to egg yolks alone. My tests are all for the whites. But how do you honestly separate the two without any residue? I wasn't sure that was possible, aside from just boiling the eggs.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

• 6 months later...
maukwa Newbie
I can't have any grain or starch whatsoever. I REALLY miss a good versatile bread to add variety and interest to my difficult diet. I need a loaf bread recipe made out of bean flour alone and NOT containing the following other allergens either:

Hello Gentleheart: I too am on the SCD diet and am allergic to nuts. I have been trying out bread recipes using lentils. I soak them per the directions for the SCD diet, and then used a food processor....so far I am using about three cups of soaked lentils, 1/2 cup of honey, 1 cup of finely flaked sugar free coconut, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, 1/3 cup of olive oil, or unrefined coconut oil. If you can tolerate yeast, you can use a package of yeast, and if you can tolerate dairy, you could add 1 cup of the cream cheese (made from the homeade yogurt)....this with the oil will help to bind it together. If you use yeast you can let it raise in a very warm place for about 4 hours, otherwise just bake it in a regular loaf pan in a fairly low oven (325) for about an hour or so. I had to take it out of the pan and bake it longer on a cookie sheet upside down. It didn't look real pretty, but it did have the consistancy of bread and tasted pretty good too. I will keep experimenting and put some recipes on here when I am done. I know that there are those out there using the SCD diet and who are allergic to nuts....there is not much in regard to recipes for us. I think that I will try using some zucchini, and carrots etc. as binders in the future, and will let you know.

MaryJones2 Enthusiast
In place of egg yokes, try lecithin. It does not have to be from soy, though I've read posts from members who can eat lecithin from soy, but not soy itself. If you do a Google search for sunflower lecithin, you will find a number of sources for it.

Riceguy - do you have a brand for soy-free lecithin. I would like to try this. Thanks! janet

ShayFL Enthusiast

You can get hazelnut flour from digestivewellness.com

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

purple Community Regular

I found this bean flour bread but it has yeast and xanthan gum but not the rest. Maybe you can come up with a sub or will be able to tolerate it later.

cinnamon-raisin-nut-bread

substitute for yeast (this was on another web site too):

recipezaar#51462

Archived