• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes

Gfcf Cake! Help!

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I want to make Gluten-free Casein-free red velvet cupcakes with white frosting for Valentines Day. I plan to pick up a white cake Gluten-free Casein-free mix and make my own frosting. However, I need red food dye and a Gluten-free Casein-free butter substitute for the mix and frosting. I was all excited because I though that Spectrum Organics oils were great (I eat mostly organic too) they even had cooking and baking tips on which products to use. But, now I find out they produce on the same lines as Wheat Germ! Ah! :( So, now I need to find a good, natural, preferably organic Gluten-free Casein-free butter substitute. I don't like the popular dairy free margarine sticks because all of the chemicals make me sick. So any ideas? Also, I have some frozen organic rasberries, can I just thaw some of those out and use the liquid for coloring the cupcakes? lol I have no clue! Help!?

PS. I tried substituting 1\4 cup vegatable oil for 1\2 cup of butter in a brownie mix and they turned out greasy and gross and they tasted like chemicals! I was such a good baker, before this gluten free stuff! :(

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Walnut oil is really amazing. It's great to bake with.

You can get natural red food dye at health food stores. Raspberries might work though.

I use Spectrum shortening all the time without any problems, but maybe coconut oil would work for frosting? You could use coconut oil in the baking mix as well.

Walnut oil is really amazing. It's great to bake with.

You can get natural red food dye at health food stores. Raspberries might work though.

I use Spectrum shortening all the time without any problems, but maybe coconut oil would work for frosting? You could use coconut oil in the baking mix as well.

Thanks! Is there a specific brand you use? (Besides Spectrum)

Thanks! Is there a specific brand you use? (Besides Spectrum)

I'll have to check later on the coconut oil and let you know (the brand has slipped my mind :wacko: ) but most virgin organic unrefined coconut oils I've tried have worked really well for me in baking.

For walnut oil, there is another brand besides Spectrum...can't think of that one either LOL. Most health food stores should have it though. Coconut oil might be better if you're specifically trying to replace butter though, come to think of it...

Earth Balance is also a good butter substitute, in baking or as a spread.

We've been baking without artificial colors for years, even though I'm pretty new to gluten-free baking. I've never found a good all-natural substitute for bright red food coloring. I've found that beet juice works well if you want to make a light to medium pink, and grape juice makes a nice pale purple, but it's hard to get really strong natural colors without getting the flavors in there too, which isnt' always a good thing depending on the recipe!

Maybe make pink cupcakes instead of red ones?

Ads by Google:

I want to make Gluten-free Casein-free red velvet cupcakes with white frosting for Valentines Day. I plan to pick up a white cake Gluten-free Casein-free mix and make my own frosting. However, I need red food dye and a Gluten-free Casein-free butter substitute for the mix and frosting. I was all excited because I though that Spectrum Organics oils were great (I eat mostly organic too) they even had cooking and baking tips on which products to use. But, now I find out they produce on the same lines as Wheat Germ! Ah! :( So, now I need to find a good, natural, preferably organic Gluten-free Casein-free butter substitute. I don't like the popular dairy free margarine sticks because all of the chemicals make me sick. So any ideas? Also, I have some frozen organic rasberries, can I just thaw some of those out and use the liquid for coloring the cupcakes? lol I have no clue! Help!?

PS. I tried substituting 1\4 cup vegatable oil for 1\2 cup of butter in a brownie mix and they turned out greasy and gross and they tasted like chemicals! I was such a good baker, before this gluten free stuff! :(

Just curious, did you find that out on the website?

Earth Balance is also a good butter substitute, in baking or as a spread.

We've been baking without artificial colors for years, even though I'm pretty new to gluten-free baking. I've never found a good all-natural substitute for bright red food coloring. I've found that beet juice works well if you want to make a light to medium pink, and grape juice makes a nice pale purple, but it's hard to get really strong natural colors without getting the flavors in there too, which isnt' always a good thing depending on the recipe!

Maybe make pink cupcakes instead of red ones?

Pink would be perfect! Where do you find beet juice? Is it in a big thing, and how much will color a cake? Thanks!

Ads by Google:

Just curious, did you find that out on the website?

Find what out? lol Not sure what part you're looking at :)

I'd go with the raspberry juice instead of beet juice. Just because raspberry frosting sounds better than beet frosting LOL. I've added raspberry juice to carrot juice, and the color is a very nice red. So you might try that too.

As for the coconut oil, that should work quite well, and give a wonderful flavor if you get the good coconut oil. I've never found a decent coconut oil without a high price, like about 12-16 bucks per pound. I have tried several brands of the cheaper ones, none of which are any good IMO. However, to each his/her own. Try a search for centrifuged coconut oil. That will turn up the good stuff, which is ONLY produced in Indonesia. I've only found two places online where this can be purchased, one of which offers a sample size, so you don't have to commit to a pound without knowing how good it is. I'd recommend getting that along with one of the cheap ones, and let your taste buds be the judge!

I just use shredded coconut, but I've read coconut flour is great for making cakes.

I'd go with the raspberry juice instead of beet juice. Just because raspberry frosting sounds better than beet frosting LOL. I've added raspberry juice to carrot juice, and the color is a very nice red. So you might try that too.

As for the coconut oil, that should work quite well, and give a wonderful flavor if you get the good coconut oil. I've never found a decent coconut oil without a high price, like about 12-16 bucks per pound. I have tried several brands of the cheaper ones, none of which are any good IMO. However, to each his/her own. Try a search for centrifuged coconut oil. That will turn up the good stuff, which is ONLY produced in Indonesia. I've only found two places online where this can be purchased, one of which offers a sample size, so you don't have to commit to a pound without knowing how good it is. I'd recommend getting that along with one of the cheap ones, and let your taste buds be the judge!

I just use shredded coconut, but I've read coconut flour is great for making cakes.

Thanks!

Ads by Google:

Find what out? lol Not sure what part you're looking at :)

Sorry, that wasn't very clear. You said that Spectrum processes their oils on the same lines as wheat germ. Did you find that out on the website, or did someone tell you? I'm just curious because a lot of people on this board use Spectrum shortening, and I just bought some, and I'd like to know if it's safe. Noone else has said they have a problem with it.

I am also curious about the spectrum CC issue. I use their shortening all the time when I bake and have never had any issues with it. I am also EXTREMELY sensitive and react very quickly to gluten.

I am also curious about the spectrum CC issue. I use their shortening all the time when I bake and have never had any issues with it. I am also EXTREMELY sensitive and react very quickly to gluten.

Me too. I know there are a lot of super sensitive reactors on here who use Spectrum. Maybe they recently changed their manufacturing practices?

Okay, so I was concerned about this since this is the only shortening that I use and since I need to be soy free, Crisco is out! So I checked their website and below is the information on the site. Since it did not address the shorteing (or coconut oil question) I emailed them about it. I hope they get back to me soon. I will post their reply.

Are Spectrum products gluten-free?

Spectrum

Sorry I didn't get back to you guys sooner. I found the information on the website as well. It sounds like you're on top of it! :)

Ads by Google:

Okay, so I was concerned about this since this is the only shortening that I use and since I need to be soy free, Crisco is out! So I checked their website and below is the information on the site. Since it did not address the shorteing (or coconut oil question) I emailed them about it. I hope they get back to me soon. I will post their reply.

Hey, thanks!

Sorry I didn't get back to you guys sooner. I found the information on the website as well. It sounds like you're on top of it! :)

PS. I went to Spectrum's FAQ's page and searched "gluten." It was kind of confusing.

I got a computer generated email stating that they will get to my questions asap, but it could be up to a week! Hopefully it will be sooner than a week.

I don't use their oils, and the way they word the information on the website makes me think it is only the oils and not the shortening, but we shall see what they say...

Pink would be perfect! Where do you find beet juice? Is it in a big thing, and how much will color a cake? Thanks!

I usually buy canned beets and use a small amount of the liquid in the cake batter or icing. (I usually make yellow cakes and then color with icing instead.) I got the best color by buying fresh beets and juicing it myself, but it was a lot of work and mess to dig up my juicer just for that!

I usually buy canned beets and use a small amount of the liquid in the cake batter or icing. (I usually make yellow cakes and then color with icing instead.) I got the best color by buying fresh beets and juicing it myself, but it was a lot of work and mess to dig up my juicer just for that!

Lol, I see, well thank you! I think the canned would be easiest too! :)

Ads by Google:

I think I'm gonna make cupcakes this weekend and color the frosting with beet juice (the canned version lol). Thanks for the idea! :D