This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Stomach Sloshing

runner89

runner89 Newbie

Hi, I recently went to a GI doctor to figure out what was wrong with my stomach. The symptoms were that my stomach is constantly sloshing as if i just downed a gallon of water. This was a pain for me because every time I went out for a run it was incredibly loud, to the point where the kids i was running with became annoyed by it. I also felt bloated, and my stomach does this weird twitching thing all day and feels like gas.

So I told the doc. the symptoms and he said this and he told me he strongly believed that I had a food allergy to wheat and had celiac. He said that the symptoms resembled it and that because of my Irish heritage I was more prone to it, and because my mothers side of the family has had stomach issues before.

So i'm waiting for the results of the blood work to get back, but i was wondering, do any of you experience stomach sloshing ever(when you were sick), or know of any other people with celiac that did have that symptom?

Also, I went shopping last night and found it extremely difficult to find anything without wheat, especially the stuff I love and live off as a runner(Pasta, noodles, bagels, bread ect...). BUT i did find a couple things I thought might be safe but i want to confirm it with you guys....

Honeycomb cereal(ingredients are safe but at bottom is said allergy warning that it was produced on stuff that processed wheat)I don't know how the disease works but I feel like I my body may be able to handle atleast trace amounts of it...

Quaker oatmeal- contains oats, which i guess are safe to some people with celiac. Assuming I don't have a problem with oats, is it OK?

Also, I think I read somewhere that teriyaka sauce had gluten somehow. Is this true? because I eat a lot of stir fry with it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

HAK1031 Enthusiast

Hey, a fellow runner! I have never had that particular symptom personally, but I'm sure it could be celiac-related. The gas certainly could be, and this most celiacs are well-versed in.

You can get gluten-free pasta, bread, granola bars, etc. at a health food store. Most pastas are just as good, but the breads can take some getting used to. Rice, of course, is OK.

Honeycomb is not safe because it has oat flour. Oats are not safe for celiacs UNLESS they are specially labeled gluten-free. Almost all oats are grown in the same field as wheat, harvested with the same equiptment, etc. Obviously this is true of quaker oats as well. But you can get gluten-free oats at a health food store, altough, if you do have celiac, you may want to wait on these until you've had a chance to heal for a few months. Some safe cereals that you can get include fruity pebbles (most of the time, read labels) and Dora Cinnamon Stars. You can, of course, get gluten-free cereal at...you guessed it...the health food store!

Keep in mind that with celiac it is not just wheat that is a problem-no rye, barley, or normal oats. Also, if your doctor wants to pursue further testing, it's probably not a good idea to go gluten-free just yet. But when you do, cross contamination is another thing to keep in mind. Throw out wooden spoons, sponges, cutting boards, and other utensils from your pre-gluten-free days. Make sure that, if someone in your house is eating gluten, that they wash their hands a LOT and NEVER touch your food or get crums on counters, in drawers, etc.

Oh, and teriyaki sauce is not safe because it has soy sauce, which usually has wheat in it. But there are safe brands out there- La Choy is one.

runner89 Newbie

This sounds incredibly difficult. Plus I live in a college dorm and so it will probably complicate things, in fact, I think it would be virtually impossible to do this at school, seeing how nearly everything they serve has wheat.

I just tried some gluten free bread from trader joes, made of rice or something.... :huh:

stuff was rock hard and the tuna wouldn't stick to it.

Nina12488 Rookie

I live in a dorm too... so I can understand your frustration... it is hard, not impossible but hard. If you talk to your dining hall they might be able to provide gluten free options, I ended up getting out of my meal plan cause things just weren't working out. But its worth a talk with the nutritionist/chef at your school because they can probably help you.

My best friend is the microwave haha, I eat a lot of frozen dinners Amy's brand (you can buy them at Whole Foods) makes gluten free mac and cheese, enchiladas, some mexican dishes. As for bread... it needs to be toasted! haha Sometime's I'll even toast it so its burnt then it will hold tuna, peanut butter, etc. Also, Lundberg Farms makes a really great Risotto which can be microwaved. I eat a lot of fruits, veggies, and salad... but be careful of the dressings if you eat at the dining hall, as many dressings contain gluten. Against the Grain (also found at whole foods) makes a really good bagel! or at least I liked it.. its soft and chewy and can be heated up in the microwave. Yoplait yogurt is also gluten free, Glutino and the Gluten free pantry make really good cookies. Good-luck!! It definitely gets easier!

HAK1031 Enthusiast

It is hard. But not impossible. You just have to be your own advocate. If it turns out you are celiac, it is vital that you follow the diet. Untreated celiac can cause cancer, malnutrition, and plenty of other scary things...not a path you want to go down.

As for breads, my favorites are the gluten-free Pantry Favorite Sandwich bread ( a baking mix) and Kinnikinnick sunflower flax bread. Kinnikinnick also makes delicious bagels and donuts. Glutino is my favorite brand for snack food, like crackers and pretzels. Their pretzels are the BEST. Better than normal IMO. My friends agree :)

I also forgot to mention, you may need to eliminate dairy for a few months to help you heal. This is because, when you eat gluten, the villi of your intestines are damaged. The tips of the villi are what produce lactase, which breaks down milk sugar, so your body may have trouble digesting dairy.

oceangirl Collaborator

Hello Fellow Runner,

Very good advice thus far. Did your doctor order the full celiac panel? It includes 5 blood tests. Probably shouldn't get off the old gluten until you get results. The best pasta is Tinkyada brand (Whole foods, Wild Oats, some grocery stores...) . It's made with rice and is quite delicious. Many of us, however, stay away fro most grains- it can be done! Talk to your dining hall person and see if they'll help you.

Good luck and let us know the results. Oh, yeah- I get stomach sloshing from gluten- along with about a million other ghastly painful symptoms!

lisa

GlutenGalAZ Enthusiast

If you like pasta -- Classico is gluten free

Which of the Classico

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gfmolly Contributor

Hi there,

If by sloshing you mean gurgling, that is totally me! I was in grad school when this all started and it was so embarassing how noisy my stomach got! Now that I am getting more healed up, that symptom is less present, but if I eat a food that doesn't agree with me, I will get that noisy stomach again.

Tinkyada pasta is about the closest thing to real pasta you can find and tastes great. The gluten-eaters in my house can't tell the difference and I serve it all the time. Does rice stick with you when you run? There are alot of microwavable rice bowls that you could still have in a dorm. Thai Kitchen has some noodle packets and soups that might stay with you as well.

My symptoms actually are helped by exercising, so maybe when you can cut out the gluten you won't get the noises when you run.

Best wishes,

Terri

gluten15 Apprentice
I also forgot to mention, you may need to eliminate dairy for a few months to help you heal. This is because, when you eat gluten, the villi of your intestines are damaged. The tips of the villi are what produce lactase, which breaks down milk sugar, so your body may have trouble digesting dairy.

Thank you for posting this one in such detail. I thought I had done a lot of reading and have heard a lot to avoik milk, but this is the first time I have read the reason why.

I am amazed at the info. Just when you think you understand a lot, you keep reading and learning more about everything.

moonlitemama Rookie

Just wanted to chime in that I have the same symptom of sloshing (definitely sloshing, but I get the gurgling too). It's pretty much gone away since I went off gluten (and dairy & soy).

You've gotten a lot of good advice so far. Don't hesitate to come back and ask tons of questions - this is a great place to learn and get wonderful help.

sickchick Community Regular

Runner89 use Bragg's Liquid Aminos and mix it with brown sugar or honey and make your own Teriyaki sauce it's so much better anyway! :) You can add some garlic & sesame oil and make it really yummy

good luck!

sickchick

runner89 Newbie

Thanks for the responses. I really should probably stop asking questions until I figure out if this exactly is whats wrong with me.

In a way, I kind of hope it is. I have a feeling any alternative solution would be much more complicated, or atleast the GI made it seem that way.

Actually, another thing I was wondering. I asked the doc what would occur if I did end up having celiac and he told me that they'd have to sedate me and stick a camera type thing down my throat to check stuff out in my intenstine. Why is this necessary if the bloodwork already shows that I have it?

Abbott50 Rookie

I am only two weeks into being gluten free, but I can tell you the sloshing stomach and loud bubbling stomach was a huge symptom of mine... happened nearly every day. I am a long distance cycler and tennis player, so I feel your pain. For me, my new favorite is Quinoa pasta..... I like it better than regular pasta. Gotta have that fuel for the long rides..... Before rides I have been trying hot gluten free cereals like hot rice cereal or hot Quinoa. I live in Tacoma WA and have found that several of the grocery stores here actually have a gluten free list of all of their products. My favorites are Trader Joes and Whole Foods...... I just ask for the list at customer service and get to shopping. You will be suprised at how many organic cereals and other foods are gluten free. I have always eaten organic whenever possible and I have been a label reader, so the transition has not been too tough.... so far....

oceangirl Collaborator

Hi.

The camera thing is to check your villi in your small intestine to see if damage is visible. Although most people here have an endoscopy (I think) (they stick a tube down into your small intestine to do this- I chose to be sedated 'cause I have choking issues) This is to do a biopsy of your small intestine and is considered the "gold standard" diagnostic option. Many on this board and in the field of celiac research feel it is unnecessary especially as the celiac panel blood tests have become so specific. I had positive bloodwork and an "inconclusive" biopsy. (I'd been off gluten for 4 months at that point) Many docs diagnose celiac with the blood tests alone along with positive dietary response. It's up to you if you want the biopsy.

Read more here; you'll find lots of info around this issue- it's a hot one.

Good luck!

lisa

Avarismama Apprentice
Also, I think I read somewhere that teriyaka sauce had gluten somehow. Is this true? because I eat a lot of stir fry with it.

My mother-in-law made homemade Teriyaki sauce with Walmart's Great Value brand Soy sauce....it's gluten free. It was to die for!!

runner89 Newbie

Tonight I had a chicken stir fry with fried rice and sesame oil(even though i love teriyaki).

was this a safe meal? Sesame sauce OK?

Gemini Experienced
Hi, I recently went to a GI doctor to figure out what was wrong with my stomach. The symptoms were that my stomach is constantly sloshing as if i just downed a gallon of water. This was a pain for me because every time I went out for a run it was incredibly loud, to the point where the kids i was running with became annoyed by it. I also felt bloated, and my stomach does this weird twitching thing all day and feels like gas.

So I told the doc. the symptoms and he said this and he told me he strongly believed that I had a food allergy to wheat and had celiac. He said that the symptoms resembled it and that because of my Irish heritage I was more prone to it, and because my mothers side of the family has had stomach issues before.

So i'm waiting for the results of the blood work to get back, but i was wondering, do any of you experience stomach sloshing ever(when you were sick), or know of any other people with celiac that did have that symptom?

Also, I went shopping last night and found it extremely difficult to find anything without wheat, especially the stuff I love and live off as a runner(Pasta, noodles, bagels, bread ect...). BUT i did find a couple things I thought might be safe but i want to confirm it with you guys....

Honeycomb cereal(ingredients are safe but at bottom is said allergy warning that it was produced on stuff that processed wheat)I don't know how the disease works but I feel like I my body may be able to handle atleast trace amounts of it...

Quaker oatmeal- contains oats, which i guess are safe to some people with celiac. Assuming I don't have a problem with oats, is it OK?

Yes, the sloshing you experienced is a very unique symptom of Celiac Disease. Sloshing, gurgling, and noises that resemble a waterfall in your gut are strong indicators of it. You cannot digest gluten so your body starts to dump water into your stomach and intestines in a desperate attempt to digest and eliminate the food. Which it can't very well so when it gets to the end of it's journey, the resultant diarrhea is watery and hard to control. It's not ordinary diarrhea.

The weeks before I was diagnosed, my stomach made noises that didn't sound humanly possible. Very, very loud and it sounded like Niagra falls was in there. :( After a few DAYS of being 100% gluten-free, it all started to go away and has never come back.

For really good gluten-free pasta, I would recommend Bi-Aglut, which has to be mail-ordered from the Gluten Free Pantry. Expensive for pasta but it's so close to wheat, you'll be amazed. It's the only one I eat. Relax, you'll get used to how the diet works and will find many good carbs to fuel you for running.

Archived