This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Doing My Part

Mom23boys

Mom23boys Contributor

It looks like I'm on her list now. Anyway, I decided to sign up for some of the community sharing projects and recipe things they do (sorry, I don't have all the lingo down) . I'm going to give it my all to make any of those projects fit our Gluten-free Casein-free (and the rest of our evils free) to promote allergy/intolerance/sensitivity awareness. Care to join me? :D (read: HELP!) :lol:;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kenlove Rising Star

Not sure how I can help although in things you send her you can quote some of the things we are doing in Hawaii with chefs and restaurant guidelines and classes for culinary students. Chefs tell me 10% of the guests not have some food allergy, mostly celiac followed by peanut followed by shellfish, so they know they have to get up to speed on it all.

Magazines love to write about hawaii!

good luck

It looks like I'm on her list now. Anyway, I decided to sign up for some of the community sharing projects and recipe things they do (sorry, I don't have all the lingo down) . I'm going to give it my all to make any of those projects fit our Gluten-free Casein-free (and the rest of our evils free) to promote allergy/intolerance/sensitivity awareness. Care to join me? :D (read: HELP!) :lol:;)
VioletBlue Contributor

Hmm, best of luck with that. Foodies can be some of the nastiest people when it comes to being tolerant of allergies and food intolerances. I learned that on the Jamie Oliver forum. One poor woman mentioned cheese allergies and they got nasty with her. I came to her defense in what I thought was a non aggressive manner and got shouted down as well. My favorite comment was the ding-a-ling who said "Just take an allergy pill". But then these are people who are insisting that school lunch programs use "free range" chickens exclusively. Yeah, that would fly in the US.

My point is, they tend to get really defensive. I think they somehow see those of us with allergies and intolerances as somehow limiting their future options or something.

Violet

Mom23boys Contributor
One poor woman mentioned cheese allergies and they got nasty with her. I came to her defense in what I thought was a non aggressive manner and got shouted down as well. My favorite comment was the ding-a-ling who said "Just take an allergy pill".

Well, I know you can have a nut case on any message board but the way this is set up in the recipe area doesn't really encourage it. I am focusing my efforts in the area where it asks for comments from people who have tried the recipe and give their reviews. If people can say needs more salt or needs less pepper, I feel I can say works well with soy as a sub or if you don't eat wheat use the rice noodles instead of corm.

I first choose a defining name using Gluten-free Casein-free in the name. I am trying basic recipes at first and giving my ratings and comments. After I have some up I am going to start trying recipes that call for pasta or milk. I still encounter way too many people who think we are some frumpy, twig eating, hippie types. We have actually had people accept invites out of curiosity only to find out we were "NORMAL". "Your stove is newer then mine!", "You have air conditioning", "You have furniture"...it gets down right scary at times when you hear the confessions.

The stereotype needs to be broken and they need to recognize that we can also be the teacher, the lawyer, the mom/dad, the company president...

Archived