This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dairy-free & Soy-free Butter / Margarine

ive

ive Rookie

I am looking for a dairy-free and soy-free butter / margarine. I looked at all margarines in 3 stores nearby, but all of them have either soybean oil or whey powder in the ingredients.

Can you recommend any brand of DF/SF margarine? I really hope that such product exists.

I guess I should also mention that I live in Canada.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jmengert Enthusiast

The only thing I've found is Smart Squeeze, which is a very liquid form of "butter"--however, because it comes in a squeeze bottle, you can't use it for cooking/baking. I use it for things like butter on potatoes, waffles, shrimp scampi, veggies, etc. To bake I use coconut oil or shortening, depending on the recipe.

It tastes pretty good--a bit salty, in my opinion, but it gives that butter flavor I had been missing.

I hope you can find it up by you! I've also verified by the company (Smart Balance) that it is, indeed, soy, gluten, and dairy free.

happygirl Collaborator

Ghee, which is clarified butter, is casein free.

For some things, people replace butter with Spectrum Shortening.

Juliebove Rising Star
The only thing I've found is Smart Squeeze, which is a very liquid form of "butter"--however, because it comes in a squeeze bottle, you can't use it for cooking/baking. I use it for things like butter on potatoes, waffles, shrimp scampi, veggies, etc. To bake I use coconut oil or shortening, depending on the recipe.

It tastes pretty good--a bit salty, in my opinion, but it gives that butter flavor I had been missing.

I hope you can find it up by you! I've also verified by the company (Smart Balance) that it is, indeed, soy, gluten, and dairy free.

I use that too. Wonderful stuff. For cooking/baking, I will usually use coconut oil or sometimes Spectrum shortening and a bit of imitation butter extract. The Smart Squeeze isn't sold everywhere. Here it is only sold at QFC.

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

Ghee is not really "dairy" free since it comes from cows. It is cows butter that has been heated and had the stuff that floats to the top skimmed off. This supposedly is the casein and the lactose. However, one should not refer to it as DAIRY free. I cannot do dairy or get instantly constipated - and that includes ghee, unfortunately.

Two things to try for "butter": 1) freeze some olive oil. 2) coconut oil (virgin) with salt. I use the second one all the time as "butter", and it works very well. Additionally, it is good for you in other ways too.

Good luck.

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

Mother's Margarine - kosher for passover, is dairy and soy free. But, it's ONLY available prior to Passover, and it's not always easy to locate. I found some last year and about 8 lbs of it to freeze and use throughout the year.

Mother's has other Kosher margarines, and the Kosher for Passover one is the ONLY one that's soy free. The others are KOSHER, but NOT ok for use during Passover and they are made primarily from soy. The non-soy version is made from cottonseed and coconut oil, if I remember correctly. (sorry, I don't feel like going to the freezer to look, LOL!) My kids are both soy and dairy free, it's the ONLY thing we can use.

gluten15 Apprentice

I use good coconut oil for everything. Once you get used to it..you will love it..won't miss butter and it's so good for you. I used to be a butter freak.

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gentleheart Enthusiast
Mother's Margarine - kosher for passover, is dairy and soy free. But, it's ONLY available prior to Passover, and it's not always easy to locate. I found some last year and about 8 lbs of it to freeze and use throughout the year.

Mother's has other Kosher margarines, and the Kosher for Passover one is the ONLY one that's soy free. The others are KOSHER, but NOT ok for use during Passover and they are made primarily from soy. The non-soy version is made from cottonseed and coconut oil, if I remember correctly. (sorry, I don't feel like going to the freezer to look, LOL!) My kids are both soy and dairy free, it's the ONLY thing we can use.

Since I can't have dairy, corn or soy, I have really missed anything resembling butter. Would you mind posting the exact ingredients of the Mother's Margarine sometime? It's getting near the time when it might be available. Thanks!

Gentleheart Enthusiast

Could anyone who has some Mother's Margarine for Passover that is dairy, soy and corn free please post the exact ingredients from the package? I would sure appreciate it. Thanks!

• 8 months later...
minniejack Contributor

I had seen on this site that Ghee is considered casein and gluten free and the other products out there don't even come close to making me happy. So...I found the Ghee at a Whole Foods Market and....it is fantabulous!!!

Actually tastes like the real thing.

Even though it is made from milk the solids are removed making it casein free--it is even listed as a safe substitue in the Autism/ADHD book.

Really, Really, Good Stuff--Pricey, but oh, so worth it!!

MaryJones2 Enthusiast
Could anyone who has some Mother's Margarine for Passover that is dairy, soy and corn free please post the exact ingredients from the package? I would sure appreciate it. Thanks!

I pulled a few tubs of Mother's passover margarine out of the freezer tonight and here are the ingredients:

Original (blue tub) = Partially hydrogenated cottonseed oil, water, salt, vegetable mono & diglycerides, potassium sorbate (a preservative), artifical flavor, citric acid, vitamin a palmitate added, annatto (color)

Sweet Unsalted (orange tub) = Partially hydrogenated cottonseed oil, water, vegetable mono & diglycerides, potassium sorbate (a preservative), artifical flavor, citric acid, vitamin a palmitate added, annatto (color)

Both are labeled gluten free & dairy free and kosher for passover, pareve.

RiceGuy Collaborator

The only one I'm aware of is Fleischmann's Unsalted, which is made from corn. Thing is, all the margarines I've seen are partially hydrogenated (trans fats).

I always recommend coconut oil in place of butter/margarine anyway. It's so very yummy, and healthy too. If you can afford it, Open Original Shared Link I have every tasted.

• 2 weeks later...
AZKat Newbie

Hi,

I am gluten, casein, and soy free as well. The only margarine I can use is Fleischmann's Light,

in the tub. Although the package says contains soy, I spoke with the company. It s made

on the same lines as their other margarines which all contain soy. They clean the line in

between, but cannot guarantee that there isn't a trace of soy cross contamination. That is

what I was told. I react pretty fast to soy, and I use this all the time. It is good as a spread or on baked potatoes, but not really suitable for frying or baking.

When I bake and need butter I use the Spectrum Palm Oil Shortening with a little McCormick imitation butter flavor.

• 2 weeks later...
JerryA Newbie

Does anyone know if Imperial margarine is gluten-free & casein-free?

I have allergies to gluten, dairy & eggs. Not sure yet about beans, (legumes) in general. Some of them I can handle. Still investigating ;)

Thanks

Jerry

RiceGuy Collaborator
Does anyone know if Imperial margarine is gluten-free & casein-free?

I have allergies to gluten, dairy & eggs. Not sure yet about beans, (legumes) in general. Some of them I can handle. Still investigating ;)

Thanks

Jerry

Last I saw, Imperial had whey in it, so it would not be casein-free, nor lactose-free for that matter.

Earth Balance is gluten-free and dairy-free, though I think it has canola, and soy in it.

JerryA Newbie
Last I saw, Imperial had whey in it, so it would not be casein-free, nor lactose-free for that matter.

Earth Balance is gluten-free and dairy-free, though I think it has canola, and soy in it.

Thank you RiceGuy, I didn't know this about Imperial. It's also the only margarine I've ever eaten before, although it has been years since I tried it.

I'm ok with canola, I'm pretty sure I have a legume problem though but still checking that out, but I'll give the Earth Balance a try. Thanks again for the help.

Jerry

• 4 years later...
Twila Newbie

I have been diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome. I have been gluten-free for 3 years, and 3 weeks ago, my doctor told me I needed to stay away from dairy and nuts. Soy and eggs have also been giving me problems. Is there a brand of butter that is dairy and soy free, if so where can I find it? I live in West Michigan. Also, what do I do for cheese?

Twila

Archived