This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Egg Allergy/intolerance After Effect Of Celiac?

Guest Cari5393

Guest Cari5393

I would first like to say thanks to everyone out there who has helped with all my other questions/issues. You guys are great and really know your stuff!

Well, my new issue seems to be with eggs. I have been gluten free, as a biopsy diagnosed Celiac, since Oct '07. Just in the last 2 weeks I am having HORRIBLE stomach pain and bloating from eating eggs. I burp almost constantly as well. This starts within an hour of eating them and lasts about 2 hours then I am fine. This only happens when I eat eggs as a meal, not when I eat things like cookies with egg in them. I have read a few threads talking in general about other food intolerances coming up after going gluten free and I am wondering if that is what this is. A few things to point out- I did not have to eliminate dairy, I do fine with it. The eggs were cooked all the way. Other people in the house ate them and were fine. While trying to figure out it was the eggs, I also noticed the amount of pain and gas were directly related to the amount of eggs I ate. Lastly, the eggs were plain with just salt and pepper.

Of course after going gluten free I was eating more eggs. Is that what caused this? Will the same happen with rice or soy?? I eat much more now then before being diagnosed. Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Cari

• 2 months later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

huevo-no-bueno Apprentice
I would first like to say thanks to everyone out there who has helped with all my other questions/issues. You guys are great and really know your stuff!

Well, my new issue seems to be with eggs. I have been gluten free, as a biopsy diagnosed Celiac, since Oct '07. Just in the last 2 weeks I am having HORRIBLE stomach pain and bloating from eating eggs. I burp almost constantly as well. This starts within an hour of eating them and lasts about 2 hours then I am fine. This only happens when I eat eggs as a meal, not when I eat things like cookies with egg in them. I have read a few threads talking in general about other food intolerances coming up after going gluten free and I am wondering if that is what this is. A few things to point out- I did not have to eliminate dairy, I do fine with it. The eggs were cooked all the way. Other people in the house ate them and were fine. While trying to figure out it was the eggs, I also noticed the amount of pain and gas were directly related to the amount of eggs I ate. Lastly, the eggs were plain with just salt and pepper.

Of course after going gluten free I was eating more eggs. Is that what caused this? Will the same happen with rice or soy?? I eat much more now then before being diagnosed. Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Cari

Cari,

I just saw this post. Looks like nobody responded yet. I can't eat eggs either, in any amount. It is a frustrating thing to deal with. When I first went gluten-free four years ago, my egg consumption immediately went up and the initial "clouds parting, clear headed" euphoria of going gluten free was replaced with a whole host of new physical complaints--stupefying headaches, dizziness, mild nausea, so-called "adult acne" and hives. I eventually gave up on being gluten-free for a while because I didn't know it was the eggs until I was tested again for everything a couple years later.

Some people who can't eat chicken eggs can eat duck eggs that you can buy from independent local farmers. I tried duck eggs and my reaction was exactly the same after eating two bites of one scrambled egg. I was out of commission for the rest of that day. This may or may not work for you, but it can be risky if you're allergic.

I can also eat dairy, and it is frustrating that many recipes are the "no taste" kind that eliminate everything....

There are a few egg-free recipes over on the baking forum. PM me if you want a few. I don't have many yet but am working on it (in all my spare time, haha). All the ways to replace eggs in baking work OK as far as I can tell, and I happen to prefer flaxseed over tofu. A lot of people have trouble digesting soy.

scottyfeelsick Rookie
Cari,

I just saw this post. Looks like nobody responded yet. I can't eat eggs either, in any amount. It is a frustrating thing to deal with. When I first went gluten-free four years ago, my egg consumption immediately went up and the initial "clouds parting, clear headed" euphoria of going gluten free was replaced with a whole host of new physical complaints--stupefying headaches, dizziness, mild nausea, so-called "adult acne" and hives. I eventually gave up on being gluten-free for a while because I didn't know it was the eggs until I was tested again for everything a couple years later.

Some people who can't eat chicken eggs can eat duck eggs that you can buy from independent local farmers. I tried duck eggs and my reaction was exactly the same after eating two bites of one scrambled egg. I was out of commission for the rest of that day. This may or may not work for you, but it can be risky if you're allergic.

I can also eat dairy, and it is frustrating that many recipes are the "no taste" kind that eliminate everything....

There are a few egg-free recipes over on the baking forum. PM me if you want a few. I don't have many yet but am working on it (in all my spare time, haha). All the ways to replace eggs in baking work OK as far as I can tell, and I happen to prefer flaxseed over tofu. A lot of people have trouble digesting soy.

I don't think I can really be of any help to you, but I know what your feeling. You described almost exactly how I feel with eggs after about 2 months gluten free. I used to eat tones of eggs, well cooked all the way to raw, and they made me feel good (maybe the protien) but since being off of gluten I noticed feeling really crappy for a couple hours after paoched eggs and spinach for breakfast, so a week later I tried scrambled eggs(fully cooked yolks this time) and the same thing happened! I even showed NO reaction to chicken eggs through an enterolab test. I have not tried duck eggs.

I havn't noticed any reaction to food containing eggs, like baked goods or anything. But I am also still healing and I am on a bit of an intestinal and fatigue roller coaster, so its hard to tell sometimes if I am reacting to something. Sorry I am not of any help. But, trust me I feel your pain.

I am kinda wishing that it might go away after my intestine heals completally. I plan on trying it again in a month maybe. Does anybody have any experience with something like this getting better with time, as your body heals from the gluten damage? kinda like some people have with dairy?

I don't think I can really be of any help to you, but I know what your feeling. You described almost exactly how I feel with eggs after about 2 months gluten free. I used to eat tones of eggs, well cooked all the way to raw, and they made me feel good (maybe the protien) but since being off of gluten I noticed feeling really crappy for a couple hours after paoched eggs and spinach for breakfast, so a week later I tried scrambled eggs(fully cooked yolks this time) and the same thing happened! I even showed NO reaction to chicken eggs through an enterolab test. I have not tried duck eggs.

I havn't noticed any reaction to food containing eggs, like baked goods or anything. But I am also still healing and I am on a bit of an intestinal and fatigue roller coaster, so its hard to tell sometimes if I am reacting to something. Sorry I am not of any help. But, trust me I feel your pain.

I am kinda wishing that it might go away after my intestine heals completally. I plan on trying it again in a month maybe. Does anybody have any experience with something like this getting better with time, as your body heals from the gluten damage? kinda like some people have with dairy?

I think I was always allergic to eggs, even as a child, and it only seemed to get worse after going gluten-free (the first time) because I was eating more of them. I have to be 100% off both things to feel better. If I'm not, a whole lot more foods seem to bother my stomach and cause other problems. I think when you're poisoning yourself with gluten, you don't know how lousy you feel until you go off of it. Then it becomes readily apparent which things make you feel good or bad.

For me, now it is at the point where I'm discovering which foods actually make me feel really good, compared to other foods that are safe and OK but just neutral. Plenty of raw leafy greens, fresh fruit, and protein seems to be best, but that isn't deterring me from trying to come up with a few muffins to bake at home that I can tolerate and that satisfy the desire for something carby.

AliB Enthusiast

Although I now seem to be able to tolerate eggs (I couldn't initially after going gluten-free), I don't eat them very often, so perhaps that has helped.

I have a theory though. You know how stuff can cross the body into mothers' milk when breastfeeding - I am sure a similar thing happens to eggs. The longer we get away from gluten the more sensitive we seem to get to it. Last night I had some chicken. Something in it affected my mouth, then my stomach.

I know that there are some that are so sensitive to gluten that they can't even eat meat or poultry that has been grain-fed. I am wondering whether the same thing happened to me and whether I ended up with a slight glutening effect from the chicken.

Mind you, they put so much crap in the feed now, not to mention the drugs and chemical additives, it is a job to know what we are eating! Have you tried eggs from corn-fed chickens? I used to buy eggs from a farm some years back and she fed them with fish meal - the eggs often tasted fishy! But that just goes to reiterate that what is in the feed can get through to the eggs.

Chicken traditionally are fed with grain, so short of buying some and 'growing' your own eggs from chickens fed on grain-free kitchen scraps, there is little way of avoiding it. There's a thing for some enterprising person with a bit of land - breed 'gluten-free' chickens and eggs!

spunky Contributor

This has happend to me too.

I can't eat eggs. I've been gluten free for 2 years and 3 months. For a while I couldn't eat eggs at all. Now I can eat stuff like mayonnaise made with eggs, eggs baked into something, etc., but the minute I eat just an egg, like for breakfast, then it hits again!

I always could eat eggs until a while after I went gluten-free.

I have no explanation for this... but at least we see it seems to be fairly common for some people.

For those of you whose intolerance of eggs developed or was discovered post-gluten-free, do you have the same symptoms as an allergy? Eggs hit me a lot faster than gluten ever did.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MELINE Enthusiast

Thanks

Cari

same thing for me too, with eggs but only the inside. You know...the yellow stuff (I don't know the english word for that). Have you tried excluding that? because it is the most common thing to cause trouble. The white part of the egg seems to be more innocent.

• 2 years later...
pqat22 Newbie

I have been on the gluten free diet for 53 years and now I may be allergic to eggs also. I love eggs . I went on a sort of modified vegan gluten free diet for the past three weeks 6 hours after eating two scrambled eggs I feel somebody slugged me ion the gut ;

for 36 hours I have been weak dizzy bloated - the reaction may have been so strong because for three weeks without beef dairy and shellfish I felt terrific ;

for the first time I had tremendous amounts of energy - all these years whenever I had a reaction I thought I had the four hour flu and would lay down several times a day then finally return to work to finish up. I was thinking of trying different brands of eggs . I am now afraid to challenge myself with milk which I also love .

A breakfast of pears , turkey bacon and a rice cracker and ginger tea is just not appetizing day after day. Does anybody think this is becoming more prevalent because of the synthetic feed the chickens might be eating --- so far I do not have a rash from eggs nor hives -- I also have dermatites herpetiformes which is totally different from hives . Help - does anyone know any doctors or scientists who may be investigating this phenomena?

GFinDC Veteran

Hi PQAT,

I don't know if the chicken feed has anything to do with it or not. I remember seeing stories for a while about anti-biotics fed to chickens possibly causing problems. Seems like that has been in the news for a while though.

The rice crackers I have seen usually have soy in them. Could it be you are reacting to soy? Soy caused me all kinds of problems.

• 4 years later...
GraemeH Newbie

I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd share. I was diagnosed with Celiac about 3 years ago and have been feeling better and better. But within the last two months I seem to have developed an allergy/reaction to eggs as well. About an hour or so after eating eggs I develop severe stomach pain/nausea, which sometimes leads to vomiting. I get very gassy and bloated and get lower intestinal "problems" as well. 

I've no problems with dairy, either. I also don't seem to have a bad reaction if the egg is IN something (like gluten-free cake, bread, etc).

Just this morning I experimented and made myself an egg white scramble (no yolks), as I heard that many allergic reactions comes from the yolk of the egg. I'm afraid the experiment failed. I'm sitting here at work fighting bad nausea and the usual symptoms.

So I guess eggs are now on the list of foods to avoid...

Geeky Newbie

I can't eat eggs either.

Also post Celiac dx I can't do milk, corn, oats, amaranth, sorghum, potato, or quinoa. :/

cyclinglady Grand Master
On November 2, 2015 at 9:53:03 AM, GraemeH said:

I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd share. I was diagnosed with Celiac about 3 years ago and have been feeling better and better. But within the last two months I seem to have developed an allergy/reaction to eggs as well. About an hour or so after eating eggs I develop severe stomach pain/nausea, which sometimes leads to vomiting. I get very gassy and bloated and get lower intestinal "problems" as well. 

I've no problems with dairy, either. I also don't seem to have a bad reaction if the egg is IN something (like gluten-free cake, bread, etc).

Just this morning I experimented and made myself an egg white scramble (no yolks), as I heard that many allergic reactions comes from the yolk of the egg. I'm afraid the experiment failed. I'm sitting here at work fighting bad nausea and the usual symptoms.

So I guess eggs are now on the list of foods to avoid...

Sorry, to hear about your newly acquired egg intolerance.  Let's hope that you will get eggs back someday.

Welcome to the forum!  

mommida Enthusiast

The top 8 allergens are the most complex protein chains to digest.

Learning to cook gluten free and egg free is quite challenging.  I noticed a lot of gluten free cooking relies on the eggs to build more texture.

There are a lot of ways to replace eggs in baking, but keep in mind what you are replaces the egg for.  Texture (light and fluffy), taste, or to hold the food together?

light and fluffy - baking soda - egg replacement powder

tastes- fruit puree - apple sauce, banana

binder - flax seed and water (let it sit and it turns into a slimey texture

I also found using cream cheese in cookie recipes (cream cheese chocolate chip and sugar cookies to roll out and cut )works well if you can have dairy.

Also look up other ingredient words that mean egg/ egg protein like albumin.

Everyone with food sensitivities needs to know the recipe for "crazy cake" or depression era chocolate cake. * Do not double the recipe in a larger pan. It will not get done in the middle!*  Of course you use a gluten free flour substation with xanthan gum or guar gum.

GraemeH Newbie
On 11/9/2015, 9:50:38, cyclinglady said:

Sorry, to hear about your newly acquired egg intolerance.  Let's hope that you will get eggs back someday.

Welcome to the forum!  

A fellow cyclist! Thanks for the welcome. :)

• 8 months later...
Janielle Newbie
On 12/11/2010 at 6:55 PM, pqat22 said:

I have been on the gluten free diet for 53 years and now I may be allergic to eggs also. I love eggs . I went on a sort of modified vegan gluten free diet for the past three weeks 6 hours after eating two scrambled eggs I feel somebody slugged me ion the gut ;

for 36 hours I have been weak dizzy bloated - the reaction may have been so strong because for three weeks without beef dairy and shellfish I felt terrific ;

for the first time I had tremendous amounts of energy - all these years whenever I had a reaction I thought I had the four hour flu and would lay down several times a day then finally return to work to finish up. I was thinking of trying different brands of eggs . I am now afraid to challenge myself with milk which I also love .

A breakfast of pears , turkey bacon and a rice cracker and ginger tea is just not appetizing day after day. Does anybody think this is becoming more prevalent because of the synthetic feed the chickens might be eating --- so far I do not have a rash from eggs nor hives -- I also have dermatites herpetiformes which is totally different from hives . Help - does anyone know any doctors or scientists who may be investigating this phenomena?

Totally relate to the "slugged in the gut" phrase -- I get that and feel like I've been whacked on the back of my head.  Just super 'flu-ish' I do get a DH rash within 24 hours.  At present I cannot eat dairy, eggs, soy, mushrooms, beans or meat.   The meat does not give me celiac reaction, just slows my digestion down so I feel unwell. I still feel so much better than I did before I discovered I had Celiac Disease -- am eating lots of bananas, peanut butter, peanuts, fresh vegetables and fruit.

• 7 months later...
Mrsjinx Newbie

I've been consciously gluten-free for 4 months now. A couple of weeks ago I started to get gluten-like reactions to quinoa, and now this week, eggs! The last 2 times I had them (poached, hard-boiled) I got wrenching, painful stomach bloating and gas (sorry). I know this isn't exactly helpful information, but more of a commiseration ;) 

cyclinglady Grand Master
24 minutes ago, Mrsjinx said:

I've been consciously gluten-free for 4 months now. A couple of weeks ago I started to get gluten-like reactions to quinoa, and now this week, eggs! The last 2 times I had them (poached, hard-boiled) I got wrenching, painful stomach bloating and gas (sorry). I know this isn't exactly helpful information, but more of a commiseration ;) 

Hopefully, these intolerances will resolve soon!  

Jmg Mentor
3 hours ago, Mrsjinx said:

A couple of weeks ago I started to get gluten-like reactions to quinoa

I didn't tolerate quinoa well last time I had it: http://www.livestrong.com/article/444005-reactions-to-quinoa/

Quinoa does not contain gluten, which makes it a good option for anyone diagnosed with celiac disease, wheat allergy or gluten sensitivity. Some types of quinoa contain substances called prolamins, which could trigger an immune response in people with celiac disease, reported the “American Journal of Clinical Nutrition” in August 2012. However, more studies are needed to verify the effect of prolamins, and most types of quinoa do not contain these substances. Quinoa was well-tolerated by celiac patients when it was included as part of a gluten-free diet, according to a study in the February 2014 issue of the “American Journal of Gastroenterology.”

• 4 months later...
Dixiebutterfly Newbie

I was diagnosed with Celiac in January and was doing pretty well until recently. Im noticing foods that never bothered me before are causing the same reaction as gluten. So far im intolletent to bannanas and Im suspecting eggs. I still nred to determine oats and corn. 

• 5 months later...
Betsy Appel Newbie
On 5/6/2008 at 3:45 PM, huevo_no_bueno said:

Cari,

I am 62 and I was first dianosed with Celiac's when I was about 3 years old. I stayed on a diet for about 5 years and they though I grew out of it , but I away had issues. Then about 23 years ago after babies symptoms came back with a vengeance.

In the last year I have had problems with chicken eggs and I tried duck eggs and could not tollerate them. However I can eat turkey eggs. Bad news is that they are hard to find and can only get them a few month out of the year.  I do not seem to have a problem  with chicken eggs when they are cooked in other foods. I just can't eat them plain. 

Also within the last  year I have developed a problem with sulfites and ibuprofen. So just when you think it can't get any worst somehow it does   

Ennis-TX Grand Master
1 hour ago, Betsy Appel said:

I am 62 and I was first dianosed with Celiac's when I was about 3 years old. I stayed on a diet for about 5 years and they though I grew out of it , but I away had issues. Then about 23 years ago after babies symptoms came back with a vengeance.

In the last year I have had problems with chicken eggs and I tried duck eggs and could not tollerate them. However I can eat turkey eggs. Bad news is that they are hard to find and can only get them a few month out of the year.  I do not seem to have a problem  with chicken eggs when they are cooked in other foods. I just can't eat them plain. 

Also within the last  year I have developed a problem with sulfites and ibuprofen. So just when you think it can't get any worst somehow it does   

Celiac never goes away.....and if you keep eating gluten your immune system and gut gets more messed up where you develop other food intolerance issues, allergies, etc. This is due to various aspects from you immune system getting confused and associated gluten and those other food together and it starts fighting them, enzyme issues, lack of gut flora to work with certain foods, biome changes, and some foods just irritate the damaged gut...other times just completely random. I can not have animal products without taking additional pancreatic enzymes now days...egg yolks are a no but egg whites are no issue.

Betsy Appel Newbie

Yes, I know that it never goes away but back when I was a child there was very little information on it and my parents just didn't know. Even 23 years ago it was very difficult to manage my diet and even harder to find a doctor to diagnose  my problem. I told them that I had celiac and they kept demising it.  I had to refuse  to take any more tests and demanded they test me for celiac and finally I was re-diagnosed. But that was then and this is now and things are good and I stay on a strict diet. Not that my body gives me much choice. I will try to eat the egg whites and hopefully  they won't make me sick. Thank you for your reply.

cyclinglady Grand Master
1 hour ago, Betsy Appel said:

Yes, I know that it never goes away but back when I was a child there was very little information on it and my parents just didn't know. Even 23 years ago it was very difficult to manage my diet and even harder to find a doctor to diagnose  my problem. I told them that I had celiac and they kept demising it.  I had to refuse  to take any more tests and demanded they test me for celiac and finally I was re-diagnosed. But that was then and this is now and things are good and I stay on a strict diet. Not that my body gives me much choice. I will try to eat the egg whites and hopefully  they won't make me sick. Thank you for your reply.

Good luck with the egg whites!  Some of my food intolerances, improved (like lactose) and some have not (like garlic/onions).  I keep testing, but no luck so far.  It is hard cooking without garlic or onions.  ?

I developed allergies to ibuprofen, acetaminophen and aspirin, along the way making me wary of trying any medications.  I react in the hospital as well, so each drug exposure can be scary.  You might research Mast Cell Activation Syndrome if you are experiencing allergic-type symptoms (hives, swelling, breathing issues, blood pressure drops, etc.)

cyclinglady Grand Master

Learn more about Mast Cell Activation from member Jebby who is a medical doctor and has celiac disease:

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/blogs/entry/1931-mast-cell-activation-syndrome-madness/