This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sugar Is Out

Jeap

Jeap Newbie

I have been on a gluten-free diet for about 6 months. I am doing much better on it. The diarreah (sp) is much better. I can go places again and not have a major problem, except when my head/mind gets me in trouble.

I use to really love sweets and I know there are a lot of things out there to cook gluten-free that have sugar (ie Pecan Pie). But i really get sick when I eat sugar.

Is this normal? Does this go away once the intestines heal? Is anyone else having this struggle?

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

Never been a problem for me.

richard

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

When you say sugar and talk about sweets .. .do you mean powdered sugar or regular cooking kind? I know that I have seen powdered sugar which was not glutenfree.

The only time sugar bothers me is if I eat too much or on an empty stomach.

cynicaltomorrow Contributor

I've been gluten-free for 7 months.. and I've recently noticed that sweets make me sick. I've decided to go on the SC diet.

Jeap Newbie

In my original post I was talking about granulated sugar. I do not eat much if any powdered sugar. I have tried gluten-free pecan pie, gluten-free brownies and some other stuff with granulated sugar in it and it upsets my whole system.

I guess I should not be complaining, I don't have the craving any more. At times though I would like to have something sweet. I have substituted honey on gluten-free bread and that seems to help.

Well maybe it is just my system and it is a blessing to keep the weight off.

Thanks for any and all input.

JEAP ;)

Maggie1956 Rookie

I'm trying to cut my sugar intake down. I need to loose some weight :o for a start, and I also get a lot of pain and gas if I eat too much sugar. Particularly if it's in sweets such as jelly beans and such.

I love white chocolate buddies. (Little chocolate drops made for cooking etc) , but I've found that I feel like I've been run over by a steam roller the next day if I have too much sugar in anything. It causes my brain to take a holiday for the day after too. :blink:

pturse Apprentice

I have been gluten-free for over a year with a few mishaps but absolutely no relief. Recently I have decided to cut out sugar. Refined and in candy. I used to have a huge candy addiction, still do but it is under control. Needless to say, I feel tremendously better in my stomach and intestines. The only thing that seems to really bother me now are vegetables in large quantities but that would bother any one I would think. :) However, I did notice, I intentionally ate gluten a week ago. No bad reactions whatso ever and I had the first solid BM in about 10 years, seriously. I still do not have them to this day even when I follow the diet strictly. It just makes me wonder . . .

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tom Contributor

I've found sugar to be a problem for me now, and i too hope it lessens as the villi heal.

The only sweet products i eat now are some gluten-free cookies which use one of the many 'natural' sweeteners, e.g. dehydrated unfiltered cane juice.

Seems a little strange that making actual table sugar (from sugar cane anyway) might start by dehydrating some cane juice. So .. . i dunno why, but the 'natural' sweeteners don't cause the problems that sugar/sucrose/HFCS etc cause.

Maggie1956 Rookie

I've been told that fructose (the sugar in fruit ) is safer, and doesn't cause weigth gain like regular cane sugar does. I'm a bit over-weight by the way. :o

I haven't used it since being gluten-free, but I'm thinking I'll be going back to it, as I did loose some weight while on it.

I have had the opposite problem with my bowel for years, pturse. Only just begining to get better, with the help of going gluten-free, and a natural laxative tablet every day.

I just wish I couild stop the cravings for sweets altogether. I think they have been my way of coping with now being gluten-free. :(

sophie2040 Newbie

Just wondered if anyone has tried stevia? It's a natural sugar substitute, made from herbs native to Paraguay, much sweeter than sugar. It's commonly used as a sweetener in Japan, for soft drinks, confectionary etc. Fairly expensive in Oz, about 10$ for 50 sachets, but I use it in tea and a little really does go a long way. The brand I buy is gluten-free, not sure if all brands would be, but if eating sugar causes stomach upsets, it might be worth trying.

Sophie :o)

jknnej Collaborator

What is the SC diet? And if you go off sugar, does that mean you can't have fruit? Don't we need fruit?

I would love to go off sugar but I'm not sure how..it's in almost everything. Add that to gluten-free diet and what do you eat? Meat, veggies, that's it? Beans, maybe. What else? I know dairy isn't great for you and I don't eat much dairy, anyway, although I will have occasional cheese and I put skim milk in my cereal. I've heard soy causes problems, too so I don't know which is best: soy milk or regular skim.

Is there a milk substitute that isn't soy?

This disease is so friggin' confusing!

Maggie1956 Rookie
Just wondered if anyone has tried stevia? It's a natural sugar substitute, made from herbs native to Paraguay, much sweeter than sugar. It's commonly used as a sweetener in Japan, for soft drinks, confectionary etc. Fairly expensive in Oz, about 10$ for 50 sachets, but I use it in tea and a little really does go a long way. The brand I buy is gluten-free, not sure if all brands would be, but if eating sugar causes stomach upsets, it might be worth trying.

Sophie :o)

Hi Sophie,

I haven't used sevia myself, but my best friend (a diabetic) has used it and said that it was ok, but a bit different in taste.

It's been recommended by a guy here in Queensland, Australia who runs a gym, and does health seminars too.

Yes, it's true that you only need a very small amount. This man was saying that to dip the handle in the sevia and then stir it into a cup of tea/coffee is enough.

Even though it tastes a bit different to cane sugar, I don't think I wouldn't mind that so much.

It sounds like a good idea to try it. Thanks for reminding me about it. ;)

cynicaltomorrow Contributor
What is the SC diet? And if you go off sugar, does that mean you can't have fruit? Don't we need fruit?

I would love to go off sugar but I'm not sure how..it's in almost everything. Add that to gluten-free diet and what do you eat? Meat, veggies, that's it? Beans, maybe. What else? I know dairy isn't great for you and I don't eat much dairy, anyway, although I will have occasional cheese and I put skim milk in my cereal. I've heard soy causes problems, too so I don't know which is best: soy milk or regular skim.

Is there a milk substitute that isn't soy?

This disease is so friggin' confusing!

The Selective Carb Diet doesn't allow you to have any actual sugar. You can still have fruit. You sweeten things with saccharin and honey. Those are the only kinds of sweeteners allowed. No soy. No lactose (because it's a sugar). No grains (No rice, corn, etc.) No gluten. No starch (potatoes). Lots of nuts. I just got done eating pancakes made out of almonds, eggs, and honey. They were really good... and good for you. :) You should pick up Breaking the Vicious Cycle.

Mballerina Explorer

I love Stevia and it takes like three minutes to get used to it. I only use the liquid kind and use a dropper. I eat no starch or sugar because celiac started messing with my pancreas (pancreatic insuffieciency and whacked out insulin). I have since found out that i am allergic to many things.

The diets that have really help me are:

The no-grain diet (similar to south beach but more holistic not fad)

Th metabolic typing diet (similar to south beach if you are protein or mixed type)

The metabolic typing diet has opened up my eyes and saved my life cuz all my allergies had me down to 3 "healthy" choices of food.

Check it out you''ll love it

Maggie1956 Rookie

Hi Mballerina. :) You said that you love sevia? What does it taste like? is it similar to sugar in taste, or really different? :huh:

I really have trouble when I eat potato and stuff like it...the group of food includes tomato, chilli peppers, eggplant....but i can't think of the word for it.

I get cramps from potato now, which I never got before, so I'm wondering if I am allergic to starch or just sensitive for a while.

Are there tests available to find this out, or do we just assume it is a food intolance and not have the food involved anymore?

Sorry for all the questions, :unsure: I'm still trying to work this out.

Carriefaith Enthusiast
Is this normal? Does this go away once the intestines heal? Is anyone else having this struggle?

Once your intestines completely heal, you should be able to digest sucrose. The enzyme sucrase, which is needed to digest sucrose, is located in the center of the villi in the small intestine. When your villi are damaged because of injesting gluten, then you may have a problem digesting sucrose. Without the enyme sucrase, sucrose goes through the digestive tract, undigested, and causes gas, nausea, diarrhea, bloating, and pain. (Not all celiacs will have this problem, it just depends on the extent of villi damage).

If you had extensive villi damage (meaning the villi may have been completely flattened), then it may be a few more months until you can digest sucrose again.

I read this info in Wheat-Free Worry-Free The Art of Happy, Healthy, Gluten-Free Living by Danna Korn pgs, 309-310.

• 1 month later...
dperk Rookie

Thanks, Medaka. At least it explains why I am having trouble with sugar and potatoes. Starch turns to sugar. I have really bad acid reflux and burning when I do any sugar. It gives me hope that when I stick to this very difficult thing of no gluten, that the villi will heal and maybe I can start eating some good things again. I am a vegetarian, so no meat, too. It's really hard to find foods to eat that are diary free, sugar free, soy free, wheat free ...................................!!!!!!!!!!!

watkinson Apprentice

I don't get stomache problems when I eat sweets but I noticed that the muscle and joint pains would get worse and would stick around longer. I tried cutting down on the sugar but didn't notice any change. It wasn't until I gave up corn and corn related products that I noticed a significant difference. It's difficult if you crave sweets because it seems like everything contains corn syrup but it can be done. I like Trader Joe's chocolate covered raisins, soy nuts or almonds (that is of course if you can eat soy and nuts).

Someone else suggested watching potatoes because your body uses them as a sugar. That's true, also the same for carrots, peas and corn. :rolleyes:

Try the corn thing, see if it helps, hope you feel better , Wendy

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

Hm, that's quite interesting. Lately I discovered, I have problems with sugar, too. But not all kinds of sugar though. I'm still experimenting. I can eat potatoes though, without any problems.

Hugs, Stef

Archived