This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How To Turn My Teaching Into A Book

chefdpm

chefdpm Newbie

Need expert opinion. I am a chef and have served the goumet meals untill i got celiac wich now i can't cause of the tasteing. My senses are great though i can still use my brain and have some one else do the tasting but that is not the same. I started teaching what i know in the celiac world. I have gone to restraunts to teach staff about celiac and other special diets, I also have taught at our local small community college. Celiac cooking and how to convert reciepes into celiac. Now i even started a blog on celiac.com.

I need to help more. i have started with dealing with cruise ships and how to know to order your own gourmet meal but it takes many days for them to review it. I am not complaining (little) but i do understand cause they have to do it..One time i called celiac.org and the supervisor and she said we need to bring you to California to teach our restraunts..SIGN ME UP.

I currently don't work cause of a back problem so i have way to much time and going to restruants around the world and setting up a way for us to eat would be great..so back to a book deal

HOW DO I DO THAT..GET A BOOK DEAL TO HELP OTHERS. All this knowledge in me and i need to help others and help myself to. To be able to go into a restraunt and a big meal..I have gone into Olive garden and see their gluten free meal..come on they have all that food and they only give a couple of entres..Saute chicken breast in olive oil..or baked shrimp..they need my help to

Well i hope some body hears me and can point cause it is time

FOR US TO NOT FEAR THE GLUTEN MONSTER AT RESTRUANTS OR AT ANY WHERE ELSE.

Thank you

Chef Daniel P.

Soigne'

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nancym Enthusiast

Sounds like you have an amazing opportunity created by what most people would regard as a disability. But you might not have the skills to properly market yourself. I'd encourage you to look into use the resources of SCORE (Service Core of Retired Executives). They're a non-profit group that helps people get their businesses going. These are folks who KNOW marketing and all the business skills that you might not have learned yet. I believe their services are totally free too.

I'm not sure writing a book is going to be a great opportunity for you though. It seems like a very niche market and how often are busy chefs going to take time to read about something like this? I could be wrong. I'd do something more like a leaflet that you hand out when you go out and consult with someone, to remind them of what they need to do and watch out for.

Anyway, I wish you luck in your venture! Sounds like you're well on your way!

Oh! I also wanted to mention, the Executive Chef at The Fish House (A great restaurant in Stanley Park in Vancouver) has a special diet that she follows. What she has done with that is make a lot of the food that aligns with her diet (low carb). It is a paradise for anyone following that way-of-eating. She also wrote a wonderful book called "The Low Carb Gourmet", Karen Barnaby. There's nothing more precious to people following restrictive diets than a restaurant that caters to them specifially. Should you ever consider getting back into the actual cooking part, a gluten free restaurant in the right area would probably be immensely popular.

chefdpm Newbie

:D Thank you.. :D i am going to Score right now and yes leaflets would be great i never thought of that avenue and that could be something i could afford and see if there is a interest.

Teaching is my goal. I loved that more than the actual cooking when i was at work it was the greatest honor to be able to share and teach others in my craft. I would love to be a celiac teacher in the kitchen or restraunt. A Dream of course..i have wanted to travel to colleges to help others and to go to restraunts to educate them and to show them the proper way to prepare food.

I live in a very very small town and the nearest big town is over 100 miles. So i must fine other avenues (internet, leaflets, book) to show i am serous and want to help others.

My biggest fear and should be alot of people is CROSS CANTAIMNATION. The smalles crumb gets me down for 4 days..i get the headaches the real bad ones and drained of engery all i want to do is stay in be and all from a single crumb..if it is more than a crumb my body gets rid of it (upchuck). So i got to be so careful and like many i don't like eating out. The cook or chef just is not educated enough about the cross contaimnation . If it is the tongs they use on some thing else or using the same cutting board. With the help of other celiacs give me the way and we can all will have a better life..

Chef Daniel P.

Soigne

Green12 Enthusiast

I don't know anything about any of this or how to go about it, but what about going nationwide with your teaching program to get the word out about celiac eating and special diets- to all the different culinary schools and restaurants??

I don't know how hard it would be to get on the lecture circuit for these schools, but maybe look into that and start there?

Nancym Enthusiast

Teaching huh? I live in a pretty big city, San Diego. We have this one culinary store called "Good News!" that has cooking classes all the time. They get some pretty well-known chefs involved in teaching them. Might be something to look into.

Betty in Texas Newbie

You are doing a great service and another place that needs your help is Hospitals, and Drs offices so they can teach their patience because they don't know and not many of the nutritions' know much about this disease. Thank you

Archived