This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cheerios

chasing4

chasing4 Rookie

On Monday when we found out that we had to cut out gluten from Skye's diet, the nurse told me that it was still okay for her to still eat Cheerios. I was surprised because I thought there was gluten in there.

We are new to this, so I let her eat Cheerios in the mornings. And then this morning, she woke me up because her stomach was hurting so bad. :( I even had to talk her into trying to go to school. So far she's still there.

Is Cheerios really okay for her to eat? Could we have accidentally fed her something else that we shouldn't have?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Cheerios if I am not mistaken contain oats which would make them unsafe for us. Hope this helps.

stolly Collaborator

Cheerios definitely have gluten. I'm sorry you were misinformed. This website is a great resourse. My DD has been gluten free for 4 weeks, and it gets easier every day. You have to read every label...she can't have wheat, rye, barley, or oats (although that is debated by some, but we don't allow oats for now, and might only consider products labeled as gluten free oats in the future). Gluten can also be hidden on the labels, meaning "Natural flavors" or other ingredients could actually have gluten. I don't know how to post links to great lists for you about which ingredients are safe, and unsafe but it's on celiac.com, and I'm sure someone will come along and post the links for you. There are also some companies that will disclose all gluten on labels, so those are the easiest to trust and buy. Otherwise, it's best to call the company if there are any questionable ingredients. Post more specific questions about the type of foods your daughter likes, and I'm sure you'll get replies about foods to buy or try. Good luck with everything!

Ridgewalker Contributor

Unfortunately, the nurse led you wrong. :( Cheerios are not gluten-free.

Here are some of my kids' favorite gluten-free cereals:

- Rice Chex! They have just recently become gluten-free, but check the box because some of the older shipments still have barley malt in them!!!

- Trix

- Cocoa Pebbles and Fruity Pebbles

- Envirokids Gorilla Munch (kind of like a crunchier Kix.)

- Whole Foods 365 brand Cocoa Comets (kind of like Cocoa Puffs.)

If you have more questions, just ask-- this is a great place to get info!!!

stolly Collaborator

Cheerios also contain wheat starch.

Ridgewalker Contributor

Click here for some of those lists Stolly mentioned.

cruelshoes Enthusiast

Cheerios are definitely off limits. They contain mainstream oats (can be contaminated with gluten grains) and wheat starch.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

home-based-mom Contributor

Almost every cereal in the cereal aisle contains that dreaded "barley malt" which means they contain gluten. You will get very frustrated reading labels looking for any that don't.

Others have given you good suggestions. Hopefully your daughter will like one of those.

babysteps Contributor

there are some gluten-free cereals that look like cheerios, - so fare the ones I've tried aren't that great :huh:

:D There are some gluten-free rice cereals that are very much like rice crispies (rice crispies are not gluten-free, that malt again)

Also there are gluten-free corn flakes, mostly with plenty of sweetener (not my taste, but perhaps a plus for kids!) :)

chasing4 Rookie

Everyone, thank you so much for your help. :)

ravenwoodglass Mentor

There is a cereal called Perky O's that is available. I really want to try their version of Apple Jacks but my store only gets the plain. If you can find them they are gluten-free.

• 4 months later...
TedL Newbie

Trix is no good unfortunately -- it contains wheat starch. I'd be extremely cautious about any cereals from Post, Kellogs or General Mills unless they specifically say gluten free (like Rice Chex). As for recommendations, Honey Rice Puffins is pretty good (the other flavors contain gluten) and I also like the granola from Enjoy Life foods.

Regards,

Ted

Unfortunately, the nurse led you wrong. :( Cheerios are not gluten-free.

Here are some of my kids' favorite gluten-free cereals:

- Rice Chex! They have just recently become gluten-free, but check the box because some of the older shipments still have barley malt in them!!!

- Trix

- Cocoa Pebbles and Fruity Pebbles

- Envirokids Gorilla Munch (kind of like a crunchier Kix.)

- Whole Foods 365 brand Cocoa Comets (kind of like Cocoa Puffs.)

If you have more questions, just ask-- this is a great place to get info!!!

cruelshoes Enthusiast
Trix is no good unfortunately -- it contains wheat starch. I'd be extremely cautious about any cereals from Post, Kellogs or General Mills unless they specifically say gluten free (like Rice Chex). As for recommendations, Honey Rice Puffins is pretty good (the other flavors contain gluten) and I also like the granola from Enjoy Life foods.

Regards,

Ted

I have a box of Trix at home on my counter, and it does not contain wheat starch. The formulation of trix goes back and forth, so you have to read the label every time. We do not buy them a lot, but do consume then occasionally.

savvvyseller Enthusiast
I have a box of Trix at home on my counter, and it does not contain wheat starch. The formulation of trix goes back and forth, so you have to read the label every time. We do not buy them a lot, but do consume then occasionally.

Agreed - the listing on the General Mills website does not list wheat starch as an ingredient:

Open Original Shared Link

Juliebove Rising Star
Agreed - the listing on the General Mills website does not list wheat starch as an ingredient:

Trix is currently safe but you always have to check the label.

Juliebove Rising Star

Trix is currently safe but you always have to check the label.

• 4 years later...
Jleedw Newbie

Cheerios if I am not mistaken contain oats which would make them unsafe for us. Hope this helps.

Oats are not unsafe.  You just have to make sure they are not processed on equipment that is contaminated

kareng Grand Master

Oats are not unsafe.  You just have to make sure they are not processed on equipment that is contaminated

You are commenting on a 5 year old post. 

Oats need to be certified gluten-free as the normal growing/processing of them contaminates them with wheat. Therefore - Cheerios are NOT SAFE for Celiacs

Also, some Celiacs cannot eat them at all.  That is why it is usually recommended that you wait 6-12 months before trying them.

Archived