This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Refried Beans

Wakeboarder

Wakeboarder Apprentice

Do I need to be concerned about gluten hiding in my refried beans? (It seems to be lurking everywhere.) I read the ingredients and nothing stood out as unsafe to me but I am still very much a beginner at this stuff. Can't contact the company who made them either, because I can't find an email address or phone number for them. (Apparently ALDI is not big on customer service). If I do need to be concerned about gluten in my refried beans, what are some brands of gluten free refried beans?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

happygirl Collaborator

By law, wheat is required to be listed. That would only leave rye, barley, or oats. I would guess its a low chance of having gluten in it, but I don't personally know if its gluten-free.

Old El Paso is a General Mills company, which will list any gluten. Their refried beans (that I have seen) are gluten-free, and if they weren't, would clearly list any ingredients of concern. http://www.glutenfreeindy.com/foodlists/index.htm

lizard00 Enthusiast

I'm sure its something that you would have to check with each brand. I buy the Harris Teeter brand and they are safe. The ingredients are few and clearly marked. Do you have a list of things to look for in processed foods? It really helped me get through the first few months when I was unsure about a lot of things. There is one on this site, but I don't have the link. I'm sure someone else can get it to you if you can't find it.

larry mac Enthusiast

Not only does one need to be vigilant re: refried beans, watch out for chili beans also. Bush's Best brand chili beans, for instance, contain wheat flour.

Side story if your interested. We had a poker party at my parents house last night. My Dad had told me earlier on the phone, that he saved a can for me to read in case I couldn't eat the refried beans (we were having make your own nachos, with all the fixins').

Well, he gave me the empty can of Gebharts refried beans, I read it and declared it safe. After I had eaten two nachos of the six I had made, someone questioned if the refried beans had chili added that contained meat (one of our guest was a vegetarian). They looked at the can my Dad had saved in the fridge (for me to read and that he forgot about) and indeed, being hot dog chili, it contained not only meat, but wheat flour as well. Needless to say, the vegetarian and I both made a new plate of nachos, sans the chili refried beans.

To my surpise, I did not get sick. These are all too common occurences. Mixups in communication that result in inadvertant gluten ingestion.

best regards, lm

• 2 years later...
cillakayo Newbie

JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH EL PASO AND THE 'TRADITIONAL' AND THE 'GREEN CHILES' REFRIED BEANS ARE NOT GLUTEN FREE. THERE IS NOTHING IN THE INGREDIENTS SO THAT IS WHY I CALLED MYSELF....THEY ARE NOT GLUTEN FREE

cillakayo Newbie

THAT IS NOT TRUE....I JUST CALLED EL PASO AND THE 'TRADITIONAL' AND THE 'GREEN CHILES' REFRIEND BEANS ARE NOT GLUTEN FREE. I CALLED FOR MYSELF AND THE PERSON ON THE PHONE FROM EL PASO TOOK THE BAR CODE, THE EXPIRATION, THE TYPE AND INFORMED ME THAT THEY ARE NOT GLUTEN FREE.

AND NO BY LAW THEY DO NOT HAVE TO LIST WHEAT. BE CAREFUL...CHECK FOR YOURSELF!!!

By law, wheat is required to be listed. That would only leave rye, barley, or oats. I would guess its a low chance of having gluten in it, but I don't personally know if its gluten-free.

Old El Paso is a General Mills company, which will list any gluten. Their refried beans (that I have seen) are gluten-free, and if they weren't, would clearly list any ingredients of concern. http://www.glutenfreeindy.com/foodlists/index.htm

psawyer Proficient

In the United States, wheat must by law be clearly disclosed. It is one of eight major allergens covered under the Food Allergy Labeling and Consumer Protection Act (FALCPA) which has been in effect since January 1, 2006.

Unless General Mills has recently changed their policy, Laura is right that they will not hide rye or barley.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I got the impression from some things I have seen about Old El Paso that the ingredients on lots of products are gluten-free but the company doen't pay to be certified. It's likely a CYA situation.

Juliebove Rising Star

This is an old post.

I have never seen gluten in refried beans. Other types of beans, yes. Like Ranch beans or Chili beans.

They are super easy to make yourself though. Either cook some dried pinto beans or use canned beans. Mash with a potato masher and if desired add some olive oil and seasonings such as cumin and powdered onion.

psawyer Proficient

I got the impression from some things I have seen about Old El Paso that the ingredients on lots of products are gluten-free but the company doesn't pay to be certified. It's likely a CYA situation.

True. Most mainstream companies won't overtly claim "gluten-free" since they don't test for possible contamination. Make your own personal decision with which you are comfortable. In general, I eat products which have no intentionally included gluten, but that are not tested for the accidental presence of gluten.

CeliacMom2008 Enthusiast

THAT IS NOT TRUE....I JUST CALLED EL PASO AND THE 'TRADITIONAL' AND THE 'GREEN CHILES' REFRIEND BEANS ARE NOT GLUTEN FREE. I CALLED FOR MYSELF AND THE PERSON ON THE PHONE FROM EL PASO TOOK THE BAR CODE, THE EXPIRATION, THE TYPE AND INFORMED ME THAT THEY ARE NOT GLUTEN FREE.

AND NO BY LAW THEY DO NOT HAVE TO LIST WHEAT. BE CAREFUL...CHECK FOR YOURSELF!!!

First, they most certainly do have to list wheat in the US. All companies must show the top 8 allergens on the label. Unfortunately rye, barley, and oats aren't in the top 8, but many companies, General Mills included, are very good about listing those as well.

As for the reps comments - General Mills has a list of gluten free items they are sure are gluten-free either through testing or manufacturing processes. The beans are not on that list, but they are gluten-free. There are a number of General Mills products that are safe to eat that don't appear on that list. Now if you are someone who only eats things labeled gluten-free, then you wouldn't eat their beans. But that's a false sense of security. There are no laws regarding gluten-free labeling. It's up to the manufacturer to decide what they mean by gluten-free.

As for Old El Paso refried beans, my son eats them quite frequently and his blood tests have been fantastic.

modiddly16 Enthusiast

'

You're incorrect here. By law, they absolutely do have to list wheat.

• 3 years later...
maeve1956 Rookie

I have been eating Old El Paso refried beans (traditional and spicy) for 3 months with no problem whatsoever.  I eat them about once a week.  I add about 3 tablespoons of Herdez Salsa Verde (medium heat) and a little grated cheddar cheese, heat in microwave and have a tasty dip which I eat with homemade tortilla chips.

This week I went to the supermarket to buy more beans, but they were out of Old El Paso so I picked up 2 cans of Casa Fiesta traditional and spicy refried beans.  I checked the label and the ingredients were the same as Old El Paso.  When I got home I checked online and they were both listed as gluten free on several different websites.  I made the dish exactly the same way, with the same jar of salsa verde and the same block of cheddar cheese and a new batch of tortilla chips made from the same recipe and ingredients that I always use.

Within 15 minutes of eating the Casa Fiesta refried beans I became extremely ill and this continued all night.  This was the worst gluten attack I've ever had.  I got very little sleep and I am in so much pain I will have to stay home from work today.

I can't say for sure what caused this, but I won't be buying Casa Fiesta refried beans again just to be on the safe side.

However, I must say here that the Casa Fiesta beans were actually better than Old El paso - more bean-y.

LauraTX Rising Star

Welcome to the forum, Maeve.  Sorry you got glutened by those beans- I always buy Bush's.  But do note that this whole thread is 4+ years old, and any info posted above has possibly changed.

• 3 years later...
LynnOfLynns Newbie

THEY ARE NOT gluten-free! I called Old El Paso and asked about refried beans. While there are no ingredients containing gluten in the refried beans, they cannot guarantee cross-contamination hasn't occurred in some of the ingredients as they don't process all of them at their facility. If you have celiac, this can be a potential issue for you. I've learned the hard way that if it does not state gluten-free on the packaging, even if you check all ingredients, it's because they cannot guarantee it's truly gluten-free.

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Heads up we use Sante Fe down here when I cook for my family. It comes in freeze dried pouches, you can order cheap on amazon, and they day gluten free. http://santafebean.com/Santa_Fe_Bean_Company/Products.html
http://santafebean.com/Santa_Fe_Bean_Company/Nutrition.html

psawyer Proficient

No news here. Every mainstream manufacturer will give the same legal disclaimer that they "cannot guarantee" anything. This is a legal defence, and does not in any way mean "contains gluten" or that it is unsafe for people with celiac disease.

ETA: Since January 1, 2006, foods packaged for sale in the US that contain wheat must, by federal law (Google FALCPA) have the exact word "wheat" in either the ingredients list or in a "contains" statement. It matters not where they come from--it matters where they will be sold.

Edited by psawyer
Add note about FALCPA
kareng Grand Master
7 minutes ago, psawyer said:

No news here. Every mainstream manufacturer will give the same legal disclaimer that they "cannot guarantee" anything. This is a legal defence, and does not in any way mean "contains gluten" or that it is unsafe for people with celiac disease.

ETA: Since January 1, 2006, foods packaged for sale in the US that contain wheat must, by federal law (Google FALCPA) have the exact word "wheat" in either the ingredients list or in a "contains" statement. It matters not where they come from--it matters where they will be sold.

Yep!  exactly!

i probably have eaten them.  I usually buy a different brand that doesn't have much More than beans and spices as ingredients - my preference.  

Edited by kareng
  • 2 years later...
FIrthflock Newbie

I can confirm. Old El Paso Refried Beans ARE NOT GLUTEN FREE. Anytime I eat even a bite i get violently sick and have headaches. I have no other food allergies. We make nachos frequently and as long as I leave the beans out I'm good as gold. Those "natural flavors" are the culprit. I can eat pinto beans and all the other ingredients. In my experience General Mills is trying to be gluten free friendly but not taking the exclusive production steps to be gluten free. gluten-free Cheerios are a great example (and not gluten-free). I've been gluten-free for 26 years and predominately cook at home to keep from getting sick. As a celiac it takes very little to make you sick and you'll know it for sure!

trents Grand Master
15 minutes ago, FIrthflock said:

. . . As a celiac it takes very little to make you sick and you'll know it for sure!

This is not true for all celiacs. Some are much more sensitive to gluten exposure than others. Those who are not sensitive may not realize when they have been glutened.

Scott Adams Grand Master
2 hours ago, FIrthflock said:

I can confirm. Old El Paso Refried Beans ARE NOT GLUTEN FREE. Anytime I eat even a bite i get violently sick and have headaches. I have no other food allergies. We make nachos frequently and as long as I leave the beans out I'm good as gold. Those "natural flavors" are the culprit. I can eat pinto beans and all the other ingredients. In my experience General Mills is trying to be gluten free friendly but not taking the exclusive production steps to be gluten free. gluten-free Cheerios are a great example (and not gluten-free). I've been gluten-free for 26 years and predominately cook at home to keep from getting sick. As a celiac it takes very little to make you sick and you'll know it for sure!

Natural flavors and gluten-free, so it would not be this ingredient. Gluten-free Cheerios are also gluten-free...what makes you believe they aren't? If you made nachos I assume you used other ingredients, like corn chips, cheese, etc. Is it possible one of the other ingredients was contaminated?

Old El Paso's Traditional refried beans don't have any gluten ingredients, and they have not declared allergens (and no natural flavors):

https://www.oldelpaso.com/products/traditional-refried-beans-16-oz

INGREDIENTS

Cooked Pinto Beans, Water. Contains 2% Or Less Of: Lard, Salt, Vinegar, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Spice, Chili Pepper.

Contains No Declaration Obligatory Allergens

• 1 month later...
Etoasty Newbie

Also confirming that I have eaten Old El Paso for YEARS and just recently was glutened by the vegetarian version of their refried beans. The cans I have expire in 01 Dec 2022 with a "batch" number of 23421. There might have been a cross contaminated batch? 

Scott Adams Grand Master

Hello @Etoasty, welcome to the forum!

Of course it is possible that a batch of their beans was cross contaminated, but so far I've not seen anything at all that would verify this. I monitor product recalls and post them whenever there is a recall.