This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Swollen Salivary Gland? Anyone Have?

Sarah8793

Sarah8793 Enthusiast

For about 3 months now I have noticed that I have this swollen gland in my neck. Saw the ENT today and he thinks it is a swollen salivary gland. He mentioned Sjogren's disease as a possibility but I don't have ANY of the other symptoms. Interestingly I have been getting gluten accidentally for several months and have now discovered the source and eliminated it. I'm wondering if this swollen salivary gland is an inflamation due to the gluten. Any thoughts? Has anyone else had this as a symptom and had it go away on its own? My ENT wants to do a CAT scan to gather more info. on it and make sure there aren't any lymph nodes involved with it. Any thoughts? Thanks!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gemini Experienced
For about 3 months now I have noticed that I have this swollen gland in my neck. Saw the ENT today and he thinks it is a swollen salivary gland. He mentioned Sjogren's disease as a possibility but I don't have ANY of the other symptoms. Interestingly I have been getting gluten accidentally for several months and have now discovered the source and eliminated it. I'm wondering if this swollen salivary gland is an inflamation due to the gluten. Any thoughts? Has anyone else had this as a symptom and had it go away on its own? My ENT wants to do a CAT scan to gather more info. on it and make sure there aren't any lymph nodes involved with it. Any thoughts? Thanks!!

You may still have Sjogren's even though you do not have the other symptoms, such as dry eye and mouth. My niece used to swell up like the Hindenburg on one side of her face and none of the doctor's she saw had a clue. She had no other symptoms. Then, I was diagnosed with Celiac and I knew I had Sjogren's because I had terribly dry eyes and mouth. I asked to be tested and it was positive.

I told my sister, mother of my niece, about my diagnosis and told her that her daughter had Sjogren's....I was positive she did. Sure enough, she tested positive also. She is a young girl, 22 years old, and I have noticed that the younger people tend to not have as much problems with eye and mouth symptoms in the beginning. As you age, things become drier anyway and that's when I stated to exhibit more pronounced symptoms. Sjogren's behaves very much like Celiac, symptoms vary wildly and to degree's of discomfort.

Another tell tale sign is dental problems so if you have that, it might very well be Sjogren's. Have the blood test for antibodies done. They are called SS-A and SS-B. If elevated, you have Sjogren's.

Sarah8793 Enthusiast
Have the blood test for antibodies done. They are called SS-A and SS-B. If elevated, you have Sjogren's.

Thanks Gemini for this information. My ENT is reccomending a CAT scan with and without contrast dye for this Monday. I'm wondering if I should still do that or if having the blood work done first would be less invasive? He did mention doing bloodwork after the CAT scan. Is there a cure for Sjogren's disease? Is it dangerous our just annoying? Thanks!

Gemini Experienced
Thanks Gemini for this information. My ENT is reccomending a CAT scan with and without contrast dye for this Monday. I'm wondering if I should still do that or if having the blood work done first would be less invasive? He did mention doing bloodwork after the CAT scan. Is there a cure for Sjogren's disease? Is it dangerous our just annoying? Thanks!

Keeping in mind the ultimate decisions have to be yours, I always opt to start with the least invasive testing. Doctor's always start looking for the worst case scenario, which can cause discomfort and worry to the patient. Blood testing is so simple, I would start there. CAT scans, with use of dyes, can cause allergic reactions. My family are prone to that.

Sjogren's has no cure but can be minimized a bit with a strict gluten-free diet. There are varying degrees of discomfort....mine are more of a pain than debilitating but I worry they will get worse with age. My eyes are not too good and I may have to start taking more aggressive measures to help with that. Not looking forward to some of the suggestions, either! :( I wouldn't classify it as dangerous but you can have some pretty serious side effects to the dryness problems, like dental problems, vision problems, infections, etc. I manage mine OK but the remark last time from the doctor was that I had become used to the level of dryness I am experiencing.....you compensate. They think I should be more aggressive and I'm sure they are right but it all gets annoying and serves as a reminder that aging is not fun!

It is important to manage Sjogren's properly, such as going to the dentist more often for cleanings.....I go 4X per year. Also, use lubricating eye drops and if need be, a Rx drop for dryness. Ohterwise, you can be very uncomfortable. Funny enough, I have never had any swelling from Sjogren's ever, just the dryness problem and dental issues. So, maybe that will be what you experience from it......not as much dry but more inflammation issues.

Drink plenty of water also as that really helps.

Now ask for the blood work and wait to see what that says. Good luck and keep us informed.

Archived