This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How To Get Through A Celiac Attack?

knav76

knav76 Newbie

Yesterday, I went out for lunch to a local Mexican restaurant and had a veggie hard-shell taco, plus chips and salsa. The people working behind the counter assured me they were all made from corn. Well, they lied.

All yesterday evening, I was bloated and tired and then, around 1am, I woke up with stabbing stomach pains and proceeded to spend the next 4 hours in the bathroom with severe diarrhea. I am a bit better today, but still bloated and nauseous.

Aside from drinking a LOT of water, is there anything I can do to get through this? How long am I going to feel awful like this? Should I be calling my doctor or going to the ER? This is my FIRST accidental gluten ingestion since my diagnosis last September.

Thanks for the support.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JodiC Apprentice

There is nothing you can do to get over it but ride it out. As someone who works in an ER, do not go to the ER and you do not need to call your Dr. There is nothing they can do to help. Depending on the person it can take days to a week for that glutened feeling to leave. Everyone gets glutened at some point and soon you will learn where you can eat and where you can't. I know the people at a restaurant try to help and may think they know what is in the products, but this is usually not the case. Most don't even know what gluten is. I asked once if there was gluten in a salad dressing and the gut said yes there is sugar in it. You can always ask to see the ingredients as they will have boxes and packaging avalible in the back. Hope this helps. Feel better :)

JodiC Apprentice

There is nothing you can do to get over it but ride it out. As someone who works in an ER, do not go to the ER and you do not need to call your Dr. There is nothing they can do to help. Depending on the person it can take days to a week for that glutened feeling to leave. Everyone gets glutened at some point and soon you will learn where you can eat and where you can't. I know the people at a restaurant try to help and may think they know what is in the products, but this is usually not the case. Most don't even know what gluten is. I asked once if there was gluten in a salad dressing and the gut said yes there is sugar in it. You can always ask to see the ingredients as they will have boxes and packaging avalible in the back. Hope this helps. Feel better :)

Guest j_mommy

I also wanted to point out they may not have lied about them being made from corn...there may have been a cross contamination issue! I can't eat the corn tortilla chips at our local mexican restuarant due to CC!

cyberprof Enthusiast

The fried corn tortillas at any mexican restaurant are always suspect because they probably fry the wheat tortillas in the same vat.

My tried-and-true remedy is lots of hot mint tea (spearmint and/or peppermint). Something in the mint helps the stomach (medival remedy) and the hot is soothing and the fluid helps if you are loosing water. I use trader joe's mint medley tea but Celestial Seasonings' peppermint and MintMajic are also good and all gluten free.

~Laura

• 3 years later...
Mish-Mash Newbie

I know no-one's replied to this topic in a while, but I thought I'd share; I haven't been diagnosed with celiac disease because my (now fired) doctor did the exams on a gluten-free diet, claiming that it wouldn't change the results! :blink: and as I have such a severe reaction to small amounts of gluten (my skin used to blister just from touching it), and I've been so ill all the time, even on the gluten-free diet, and a whole host of doctors (I've gone through quite a few!) insisted that it was Chron's, atrophic gastritis or just generally nasty stuff with no tests to back them up, and I felt absaloutly hopeless. I'm 19 and I've been so ill I had to drop out of collage and was on morphine for 2 months, and then I discovered the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) and I've been on it 2 months, and my god the difference! I can touch gluten and nothing happens, I've been able to go back to school, I've been off morphine for almost 3 weeks (I accidentally glutened), but the reaction was so much better! I haven't lost my memory, I haven't thrown everything up, I can walk and there was no blood in my stools!

I reccomend the SCD to everyone now, I've had so many doctors tell me they can do nothing further and that they're so sorry, but with this diet, it's all going away, and my Mum's sleeping again :D

Good look to everyone!

Kelly

Archived