This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ugh...chickpeas

mysecretcurse

mysecretcurse Contributor

Well I'm finally facing the fact that sadly, chickpeas are off the list.

No matter what, I get sick, drained, HORRIBLE feeling when I eat them.

I have no idea why and I tried to deny it for the longest time as

I'm gluten free and vegetarian and there is so little I can eat. Chickpeas

were a big staple food for me in the past, but I started noticing the connection

to feeling bad and eating them so I gave them up for a long time.

Then I began testing, and sure enough, on the days I ate them I began

feeling depressed, drained, sick to my stomach and developing new

facial breakouts within the hour. In fact I seem even more bothered by them

than I am gluten! Gluten at least takes a few hours or more.

This sucks! :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kenlove Rising Star

Wow, that is a weird one. Could it be the brand --perhaps something that thickens the liquid in the can?

I'd be lost without them and whole hominy!

were a big staple food for me in the past, but I started noticing the connection

Aleshia Contributor

that is so sad :( I love chickpeas... especially in hummus... so sorry for you do you think any othr kind of bean or anything could take their place in your recipes??

Every other bean (that Ive tried) seems to be fine. I don't think its the brand of hummus because the same thing has happened with canned chickpeas (both organic, inorganic, and from salad bars). I don't have a clue how they could be getting contaminated with gluten all those times. It must be just another sensitivity.

Anyone tried hummus made with white or red beans instead? Think it would be as good?

Aleshia Contributor
Every other bean (that Ive tried) seems to be fine. I don't think its the brand of hummus because the same thing has happened with canned chickpeas (both organic, inorganic, and from salad bars). I don't have a clue how they could be getting contaminated with gluten all those times. It must be just another sensitivity.

Anyone tried hummus made with white or red beans instead? Think it would be as good?

could it be the sesame in the tahini??

dbmamaz Explorer

Wait, have you only used canned chick peas? I have a lot of intolerances, and I'm on a huge elimination diet. I tried canned black beans once, and I seemed to have a reaction to them, same w canned refried beans. So finally I made my own refried beans - soaked pintos over night, boiled until soft, then mashed slowly while cooking in a pan w oil and water (i cant do garlic, even) and added salt. Satisfying and no reaction . . . well, other than undigested pieces showing up in the toilet, making me wonder if I had worms!!

Try using dried chick peas. I really think it could be the processing, or a preservative. I can tolerate fresh-squeezed lemon juice, but not the bottled.

Aleshia Contributor
I tried canned black beans once, and I seemed to have a reaction to them, same w canned refried beans.

I saw something on tv once about it and they say always always always rinse canned beans extremely well because they way they are processed releases a lot of the gassy stuff... so the slimy stuff around the beans is what makes you gassy... if you wash them well first it isn't supposed to cause the gassy problems the same... don't know if that would help

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest digmom1014

Try white beans in the food processor with a little garlic, lemon, EVOO, and salt/pepper. Giada just made it on her Everyday Italian show and it is quite good. For exact directions go to foodnetwork.com and Giada in recipes.

I saw something on tv once about it and they say always always always rinse canned beans extremely well because they way they are processed releases a lot of the gassy stuff... so the slimy stuff around the beans is what makes you gassy... if you wash them well first it isn't supposed to cause the gassy problems the same... don't know if that would help

Yeah but if it was them being canned that was the problem I would think all canned stuff would do that. I use canned refried beans and black beans and veggies all with no problems.

I'll try it with white beans, thanks!

lizard00 Enthusiast

I've had white bean hummus, trader joe's makes one. But be careful if you buy it, one of their flavors has soy sauce in it. But, it is DELICIOUS!!! Enjoy!

AliB Enthusiast

I have just figured out that I am a fast-oxidiser 'Protein type' through the Metabolic Typing Diet questionnaire. I have always known that I need plenty of protein and can't cope with carbs, but at least now I know why.

My genetic make-up dictates that I can't process carbs very well at all and should not be eating them. I can have some dried beans (it does not clarify whether chickpeas are included so I will have to investigate that further, although they are very high starch so I would probably be better off avoiding them completely), but what the book does say is that all beans/grains should be soaked overnight in a few changes of water prior to cooking to break down the phytates. Apparently Phytic Acid binds with calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus and zinc in the gut and prevents its absorption. When consumed excessively, phytates can cause serious mineral deficiencies, allergies, intestinal distress and osteoporosis.

Many prefer to follow a vegetarian type diet for personal or ethical reasons, but there is always the possibility that their metabolic make-up is not suited to it. If they have a Metabolism that needs plenty of protein - and that means purines that are mostly found in fish or meat (only low purine levels are in dairy and legumes so one would need to eat a large amount to compensate), then their bodies will not function properly as the cells cannot rebuild effectively. Not enough of the right protein will effectively lead to the body breaking down. Those that have an extreme 'Carbohydrate type' slow-oxidising metabolism might just about be able to get away with a vegetarian/vegan diet.

The other thing to bear in mind is that if we limit our diet to certain foods that we eat on a very regular basis we can also develop intolerances to those foods too. It is better to rotate the diet so that we are not limited to a very repetitive diet.

turkeybird Rookie

Just a thought... I recently found some hummus made with black beans instead of chick peas. It was great! It had a lot of cilantro, garlic and lime juice. I thought it was a great alternative to chickpeas and was full of fiber (yes, my nutritionist has me upping the fiber!) I found it pre-made at a local organic market called Roots. I'm sure you could easily make it yourself if you can't find it at a place like Whole Foods, etc.

Hope this is helpful!

Turkeybird

• 2 years later...
hoyhacesol Newbie

I have the exact same problem. Everytime I eat chickpeas I get all bloated and feel that I cannot digest them. The same thing (to a lesser extent)happens with lentils. And it really sucks because I love them!

My boyfriend is a horticulturalist, and he suggested this may be caused by the fact that those two crops are often grown right next to wheat, because they are complementary and help each other grow. We are trying to grow lentils in our own garden this fall, so I will let you know if that works :)

summerteeth Enthusiast

I don't like chickpeas at all -- the texture gets to me -- so I always use Great Northern (white) beans as a substitution. Great in hummus and also in chana masala (both traditionally chickpea-centric).

kenlove Rising Star

HUmmus with the big white lime or fava bean is fairly common and a little sweeter than some with check peas.

I love them all!

Skylark Collaborator

I have the exact same problem. Everytime I eat chickpeas I get all bloated and feel that I cannot digest them. The same thing (to a lesser extent)happens with lentils. And it really sucks because I love them!

My boyfriend is a horticulturalist, and he suggested this may be caused by the fact that those two crops are often grown right next to wheat, because they are complementary and help each other grow. We are trying to grow lentils in our own garden this fall, so I will let you know if that works :)

You might not handle the sugars in legumes well. Have you tried Beanzyme? It's a gluten-free version of Beano.

• 1 month later...
Marcus Torres Newbie

That happens to me too! I'm vegetarian, and gluten intolerant too and I feel mild simptoms similar to gluten intolerance when I eat chick peas. Don't despair! There are lentils and other beans, protein and iron rich you can eat! Not to mention peanuts and nuts! This story of having all kinds of grains from all the world available to you is not right! Until 1900s, man only bought locally and ate locally! We don't need to eat all kinds of grains. I am very healthy and strong this way.

Take care!

Marcus Torres Newbie

Interesting your boyfriend's suggestion. Please don't break up with him until you get a result in your trial. Let us know. Thanks!

• 6 years later...
nmolivo Newbie

It is my understanding that it's common practice to rotate chickpea and wheat crops so chickpeas are often cross contaminated at the farmer's field.  The fact that so many celiacs are on here who are able to eat them is impressive. Chickpeas, Chickpea flour, and even Chickpea cross contamination all make me ill.

cyclinglady Grand Master
1 hour ago, nmolivo said:

It is my understanding that it's common practice to rotate chickpea and wheat crops so chickpeas are often cross contaminated at the farmer's field.  The fact that so many celiacs are on here who are able to eat them is impressive. Chickpeas, Chickpea flour, and even Chickpea cross contamination all make me ill.

Try sorting and cooking your own chickpeas from scratch, but you might just be intolerant to chickpeas.  

• 6 months later...
Helpintheckitchen Newbie

To mysecretcurse-earlier today I was reading about recipes to make farinata-and one of the authors said, if you had gluten sensitivities-to look for specific dry beans that say they are gluten-free or not contaminated, because apparently it is a problem!  So don't give up on the chickpea! I don't know what kind of search you will have to do, but perhaps it's worth it-hope that helps! 

• 5 months later...
Jc59 Newbie

I got the same reaction when I ate a can of Trader Joes chickpeas (headaches, body aches) started feeling bad.  Maybe I'm just intorant to chick peas.  I'll try dry beans that are gluten-free. 

• 4 months later...
nmolivo Newbie

Hi, I've had similar reactions to chickpeas. My partner contacted people throughout the production process and discovered that chickpeas and wheat are commonly rotated in the United States to restore nitrates in the soil. I don't know if the soil is able to transfer something and affects the beans, or the extent of shared equipment and silos with wheat. Somehow, chickpeas can still be certified gluten free. This is terrible, and makes it impossible for me to eat at some of the few 'gluten free dedicated' restaurants that also have chickpea dishes. I found it futile to try to raise the issue because I'm met with sufferers of celiac disease who, by their own account, can't feel cross contamination telling me that chickpeas are gluten free, and the conversation ends there. 

Juca Contributor

Very interesting information about cross contamination.. I had no idea. At first I also thought ot could just be a Oligos sensitivity. 

If you miss hummus, you can make baba ganoush instead. It doesn't have the same nutritional profile (so important to vegetarians) but is very very tasty.  

• 2 months later...
Denise Bu Rookie

The reaction to chickpeas could be tied to an autoimmune sensitivity that developed as a result of "leaky-gut".  I have tested positive for stool antibodies to chickpeas and had to stop eating them (along with other beans) for several months.  Started slowly introducing pinto beans and white beans which I prepared myself.  Do as others have suggested in previous comments - soak overnight, drain, rinse and cook thoroughly in lots of water.  Changing the water during cooking may also help remove more phytates. Avoid processed foods as they are not prepared to remove phytates.  Especially avoid raw flours made of these beans or pastas made of them.  They are not going to soak or cook the beans before making the commercial flour product.  Once the gut heals, you could try eating home cooked beans again but it may take up to a year or more for healing after you have removed all of your "trigger foods". 

Archived