This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Summer Job

curlyfries

curlyfries Contributor

I work at a middle school as an instructional assistant, and in another month, I won't have any income for six weeks. Most businesses won't hire someone for only six weeks. Plus the fact that I have fibromyalgia. Last summer I worked at my husband's factory for four weeks. I have never been in so much pain in my life! We've been struggling this past year, so we haven't been able to prepare for it like we had hoped.

Any suggestions?

Lisa

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Cheri A Contributor

Could you nanny for someone with elementary-aged kids? How about tutor someone over the summer?

I know a girl who is lining up families that are willing to pay her to watch their kids once/week for SAH or WAHMs. I'm hiring her to watch my kids once/week while I WAH.

Phyllis28 Apprentice

Have you looked into the summer positons available for the local school districts? I know in my district the Pre-K special education programs run most of the summer.

Another idea is to get permanent part time job where the hours increase during the summer and decrease during the school year. Where I live this would include theme parks (Disneyland, California Adventure, Knotts Berry Farm), Blockbuster, food service (not recommended for Celiacs)

curlyfries Contributor

I've thought about tutoring, but it's a crapshoot whether I'd get enough clients to get me thru the summer, but I am considering giving it a try. I didn't know SAH or WAHMs hired nannies.

Our school district has summer school programs, but my school is year-round. Summer school starts before I am done with the school year.

No theme parks nearby, and I did work part-time for 5 years at a pharmacy just to have a job during the breaks. But it became too hard on me physically---all the standing and looking down to count pills (lots of issues with upper back and neck).

Thanks Cheri A and Phyllis28 for replying! I really appreciate your trying to help :P

Lisa

Cheri A Contributor
I've thought about tutoring, but it's a crapshoot whether I'd get enough clients to get me thru the summer, but I am considering giving it a try. I didn't know SAH or WAHMs hired nannies.

Our school district has summer school programs, but my school is year-round. Summer school starts before I am done with the school year.

Your welcome. Keep us posted about what you try. Maybe you could do some tutoring and some kid-sitting.

My mom is a preschool teacher and she tutors a little during the summer. She also has them break her salary down so that she still gets some pay during the summer.

This will be my first year hiring someone to watch my kids for a day. I'm going out on a limb and trying to be positive that I'll be busy with my WAH job. If I don't, then I'll use the time to clean, cook, shop in peace. :lol:

Phyllis28 Apprentice

Your welcome.

I'll toss out another couple of more options that may or may not work for you:

1) Look into transfering to a school with traditional calendar. Summer employment will be much easier to locate.

2) Apply at employement agencies that supply temporary help. These jobs would be mainly clerical (Examples are filling, accounting clerk and secretarial). The first agency that comes to my mind is Kelly Girl. I don't know if they are still in business or in your area. You should be able to find names of your local agencies advertising in the want ads in the paper. They will be advertising for full time postions but you can call and ask if they also place temporary.

curlyfries Contributor
Maybe you could do some tutoring and some kid-sitting.

My mom is a preschool teacher and she tutors a little during the summer. She also has them break her salary down so that she still gets some pay during the summer.

The tutoring and kid-sitting is a possibility. Unfortunately, spreading out the salary is only available to teachers, not assistants, since we are paid hourly.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

curlyfries Contributor
Your welcome.

I'll toss out another couple of more options that may or may not work for you:

1) Look into transfering to a school with traditional calendar. Summer employment will be much easier to locate.

2) Apply at employement agencies that supply temporary help. These jobs would be mainly clerical (Examples are filling, accounting clerk and secretarial). The first agency that comes to my mind is Kelly Girl. I don't know if they are still in business or in your area. You should be able to find names of your local agencies advertising in the want ads in the paper. They will be advertising for full time postions but you can call and ask if they also place temporary.

1) I work with hearing-impaired kids. I go where they go.

2) I should try that. Don't know why I didn't think of it! Darn brain fog hasn't lifted completely :P But that's why we're all here---to help each other figure things out :lol:

Sweetfudge Community Regular
Could you nanny for someone with elementary-aged kids? How about tutor someone over the summer?

I know a girl who is lining up families that are willing to pay her to watch their kids once/week for SAH or WAHMs. I'm hiring her to watch my kids once/week while I WAH.

I have to say that I LOVED nannying for a summer. It was a lot of work, but a lot of fun, and very rewarding. I watched some really good kids though. Probably helped :)

BTW, SAH/WAHM = stay at home/work at home mom i'm assuming?? just checkin'

Hope you find something :D

Cheri A Contributor
I have to say that I LOVED nannying for a summer. It was a lot of work, but a lot of fun, and very rewarding. I watched some really good kids though. Probably helped :)

BTW, SAH/WAHM = stay at home/work at home mom i'm assuming?? just checkin'

Hope you find something :D

Yes, SAH/WAHM = stay at home/work at home mom. :)

GREAT idea about the temporary employment agencies, Phyllis!! Why didn't I think of that too? I did that while I was between jobs and getting ready to move. I loved the time I spent "temping".

amybeth Enthusiast

Summer camps might also be an option....day camps.....in our area, some hire people just to pick up and transport the campers.....

Maybe a local library --- or even newspaper delivery....a lot of the kids who have routes during the school year are away or cannot fulfill their routes during the summer months.

Good luck!

Archived