This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Knorr Bouillon

mroper

mroper Rookie

I thought I remember reading this was on the safe list....I read the package and the only thing that seems suspect is carmel color. Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

Knorr will clearly disclose gluten. If you don't see it listed by the name of the grain, it isn't there. Caramel color is not a concern.

• 1 year later...
ballerina Rookie

Knorr will clearly disclose gluten. If you don't see it listed by the name of the grain, it isn't there. Caramel color is not a concern.

does any one know if Tones chicken bouillon is gluten free

Darissa Contributor

Herb Ox boullion cubes are gluten-free. They say so right on the package. I can't find them at Walmart or Frys (Krogger store) buy Safeway here carries them. I don't know about Knorr. I was happy to find the Herb Ox. I love when products are actually labeled gluten-free. Makes shopping so much easier!!

CelestialNav Newbie

Another thing that you have to pay attention to re: Knorr Bouillon and other Bouillons and Bouillon Cubes is that they are loaded with MSG. MSG is very bad for you. Also beware of "modified food starch" as this actually wheat starch which is a thickening agent.

sa1937 Community Regular

I've recently bought both Herb-Ox chicken and beef instant bouillon (not cubes) at my local WalMart Supercenter. Both jars say "Gluten Free" and "No MSG Added" on the front of the label. Since it's made by Hormel, they're one of the companies that are good about labeling their products.

psawyer Proficient

Also beware of "modified food starch" as this actually wheat starch which is a thickening agent.

This is simply not true. While in theory, it could be wheat, in my experience it never is. In the US, it would be required by law to be labeled as "wheat."

Knorr is a Unilever brand, and Unilever (like Kraft, Con Agra, General Mills and others) will always clearly label any gluten-containing ingredient by naming the grain source.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

Another thing that you have to pay attention to re: Knorr Bouillon and other Bouillons and Bouillon Cubes is that they are loaded with MSG. MSG is very bad for you. Also beware of "modified food starch" as this actually wheat starch which is a thickening agent.

The comment about MFS is just flat-out wrong.

richard

• 2 years later...
GFinminneapolis Newbie

It says caramel coloring on it though, I know it is supposed to be fine if made within the US but on the packaging it says "product of Mexico." I'm worried about using it!

kareng Grand Master

It says caramel coloring on it though, I know it is supposed to be fine if made within the US but on the packaging it says "product of Mexico." I'm worried about using it!

If its sold in the US, they must label wheat. Carmel coloring is not a concern in the US as far as gluten.

psawyer Proficient

To repeat, Unilever will clearly disclose all gluten sources on the label. If you don't see the name of a gluten grain, the product is gluten-free.

Pauliewog Contributor

A friend of mine just sent me a little care package of what is supposed to be gluten-free foods. There is a box of Knorr vegetable bullion. One ingredient is autolyzed yeast extract. There is also a package of vegetable dip mix (Knorr). The vegetable dip mix says autolyzed yeast extract (barley). The bullion does not use the word barley. So, is this autolyzed yeast extract safe if it is not barley based? Very confusing!

psawyer Proficient

To repeat, Unilever will clearly disclose all gluten sources on the label. If you don't see the name of a gluten grain, the product is gluten-free.

For the third time, Unilever will clearly disclose any gluten in any of their products. If you do not see a gluten grain named on the label, there is no gluten in the product. The product that mentions barley contains small amounts of gluten. The other product is gluten-free.

Silencio Enthusiast

I noticed a few months ago that the Chicken Knorr Bouillon Cubes are fine (the Knorr chicken powder has gluten) and the Beef cubes also have gluten. I had to go to a health food store to find gluten-free Beef Bouillon. Could be I was just confused. I will have to check it out next time I go shopping.

benXX Rookie

For the third time, Unilever will clearly disclose any gluten in any of their products. If you do not see a gluten grain named on the label, there is no gluten in the product. The product that mentions barley contains small amounts of gluten. The other product is gluten-free.

It is true, Unilever does mention the origin of the grain in their products, worldwide, which is exceptional.

However what they don't care about is that the gluten in their seasoning products ruins entire dishes for us.

Are the gluten in the seasoning products really necessary taste wise? That is the big question.

Could the same result not be achieved with non-gluten variations?

I hope companies like Unilever become more aware of our problems and will only use gluten when they are strictly necessary for the product.

• 8 months later...
BossLadyTPK Newbie

Found this today. Very helpful. Labels the wheat and gluten for you, no guessing: http://www.foodfacts.com/NutritionFacts/Soups/Knorr-Chicken-Flavor-Bouillon-9-oz/61927#

kareng Grand Master

It doesn't show any wheat in this product ingredients. It has a lot of " unnatural" things someone might want to avoid.

I guess what in saying is that this doesn't seem to be a very reliable site. They look like they say it has wheat in it, but there is none listed.

GFinDC Veteran

Some Herb Ox brand chicken bullion is soy free and gluten free.

cavernio Enthusiast

Any ingredient that knowingly has gluten in it must be on a label. Therefore if the caramel color has gluten it would be on the label. Note that possible cross contamination doesn't have to be on a label though. If you want to know email a company and specifcally ask them if it's gluten free. If they say yes, then eat it without worry. If they start to explain the law to you and throw in there that they won't guarantee it's gluten free is when you may not want to trust the product. It may, of course, still be safe to eat.

I think when I first when gluten-free I had some knorr bouillon cubes I had to throw out. But they were probably 2 years old by now and the labelling laws to clearly indicate wheat in Canada I don't think had come into effect.

psawyer Proficient

Any ingredient that knowingly has gluten in it must be on a label.

Labeling of wheat in Canada has been required for many years as a "priority allergen." The other gluten sources were added effective August 4, 2012, for foods packaged on or after that date.

In the US, wheat must be disclosed, but disclosure of barley, rye and oats remains voluntary. Some manufacturers have a clear gluten disclosure policy. They include Unilever, Kraft, Con Agra, General Mills and others.

• 5 years later...
HK007 Newbie
On 5/7/2008 at 2:06 PM, psawyer said:

D396087F-327E-4B0E-A603-6BA3904D239B.webp.10690304ba2262b7ba6624f30b050c85.webp

HK007 Newbie

The package did not mention gluten or wheat, but Unileever’s website says it may contain gluten.  Had it last night and have yet to get to sleep and it 5:45am.  I can confirm our container has gluten.

Ennis-TX Grand Master

I just make my own and freeze stock cubes in ice trays OR I use Jarrow Bone Broth Powders.
They make a Beef, Chicken, Beef Ramen, and Chicken Curry Flavored powders, vitacost, wholefoods (on sale) and amazon are your best bets.

• 2 years later...
Bebygirl Apprentice
On 1/22/2013 at 11:59 AM, psawyer said:

Labeling of wheat in Canada has been required for many years as a "priority allergen." The other gluten sources were added effective August 4, 2012, for foods packaged on or after that date.

In the US, wheat must be disclosed, but disclosure of barley, rye and oats remains voluntary. Some manufacturers have a clear gluten disclosure policy. They include Unilever, Kraft, Con Agra, General Mills and others.

Not always the case with Knorr products, their beef bouillon contains yeast, and it does NOT disclose its source of yeast, GlutenfreeWatchdog.com reminds us to stay away from companies who do not clearly mark their packages, and I am sick of being sick, ASSUMING if it’s not on the Label, then it’s not in the product is a false, misleading, and a dangerous place to be. Just spend your money on clearly marked packages and send everyone else packing. I have decided to buy high quality foods, and just eat less, since the over Modifying of wheat starches to make an impenetrable plant to pests and disease has made us all sick, I am going to hurt them where they should have been hurt a long time ago, their wallets. If they cannot mark their packages as gluten-free, then I don’t buy them, no more assuming “well if it’s so and so, it’s got to be on the label” hogwash, I ate some Beef bouillon and got sick, NEVER again...Me and my money go to responsible and less greedy food companies from now on, even if I eat plain rice and potatoes the rest of my life.