This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Elevated C-reactive Protein

tipnpat

tipnpat Newbie

Hi all. I wondered if anyone knew anything about an elevated c-reactive protein possibly being linked with gluten reaction or celiac disease. I was gluten-free for 6 months, had lost 70 lbs over the previous 2 yrs (on purpose) and was exercising 4-5 times a week. Yet on my annual labs my CRP was over 5 which put me in the high risk for cardivascular disease category. I had accidentally eaten something with gluten the night before and was having a terrible migraine and neck pain on the day they drew my blood. CRP is an inflammation marker but up to a certain point is thought to be cardiac related. Really high ones are linked with other inflammation such as arthritis, etc. Anyone have any insights on this?

Thanks,

Tip

• 1 month later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

HulaGirl Newbie
Hi all. I wondered if anyone knew anything about an elevated c-reactive protein possibly being linked with gluten reaction or celiac disease. I was gluten-free for 6 months, had lost 70 lbs over the previous 2 yrs (on purpose) and was exercising 4-5 times a week. Yet on my annual labs my CRP was over 5 which put me in the high risk for cardivascular disease category. I had accidentally eaten something with gluten the night before and was having a terrible migraine and neck pain on the day they drew my blood. CRP is an inflammation marker but up to a certain point is thought to be cardiac related. Really high ones are linked with other inflammation such as arthritis, etc. Anyone have any insights on this?

Thanks,

Tip

HulaGirl Newbie

HI, I was diagnosed in Oct 2007, blood work, endoscop, biopsies. 6 months before that I read about CRP in Woman's Day and asked for the test. Mine was 5.2 on a normal scale it should have been below 3. But of course my cardiologist (I see for Tachacardia) ignored it. Since I now know I have Celiac and it has been 8 months gluten-free I got another CRP with my Celiac blood tests and it is in the normal range now as well as my Celiac tests. My diet is extremely limited to rice, potatos, can veggies, fresh fruit, fish. I make homemade lentil soup and freeze it as well as homemade chili (sans meat). I haven't given up dairy yet. No tummy trouble at all. I may have a candida problem so I am starting Pro biotics with acidophilus. No refined sugar. I may have to give up dairy to get rid of the candida. I am having redness and itching skin so it may be the candida or excema. I am looking into it. Dairy is on the list of inflamation causing foods but my CRP is finally normal.

Hope this gives you some info.

Hula Girl

• 8 years later...
katesyl Apprentice

I have been gluten free for three years, and I just had an elevated CRP, along with mildly elevated platelets... going to GI doctor tomorrow... I am strictly gluten free at home, but I am wondering since the husband and I eat out A LOT, if I have been harming myself at restaurants... I need to quit eating out I am guessing. I hope that is all. Can't wait to get GI's insight tomorrow. 

cyclinglady Grand Master
1 hour ago, katesyl said:

I have been gluten free for three years, and I just had an elevated CRP, along with mildly elevated platelets... going to GI doctor tomorrow... I am strictly gluten free at home, but I am wondering since the husband and I eat out A LOT, if I have been harming myself at restaurants... I need to quit eating out I am guessing. I hope that is all. Can't wait to get GI's insight tomorrow. 

Based on the information you have posted today, the most likely probable reason for your being ill is that you are getting glutened!  Here is a biggie....does your hubby brush his teeth prior to kissing you?  Seriously, it can happen, but going out to eat a lot.....that can be just as bad! 

We eat at restaurants that have been approved by celiacs (websites).  Just because that offer a gluten free menu does not mean that they understand about cross contamination.  

katesyl Apprentice

You are right. The weirdest part is that I feel fine, however, I am sure cross-contamination is doing damage even when we don't think it is. 

Archived