This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Need Casein Free Ice Cream Recipes

taweavmo3

taweavmo3 Enthusiast

I'm tired of paying big $$ for dairy free ice cream, and popsicles are full of corn syrup and dyes (even the new "natural" ones from Popsicle). SO, I bought an ice cream maker.

Does anyone make their own ice cream with alternative milks??? I bought alot of coconut milk, I love the stuff. I thought it might make a good milk sub for ice cream. I just need some recipes!!!! Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

I've used almond milk myself. I've made lots of sorbets with fresh fruits. I've had ice cream from coconut cream, but haven't tried making it myself. Few things are going to be quite as rich as whole milk ice cream (I've yet to find coconut cream - just whole fat coconut milk), so don't go in with particular expectations of duplicating something. But experiment; it's fun!

RiceGuy Collaborator

Well, I don't have a specific recipe, but I can think of a few ingredients that I'd try. And coconut milk is the very first thing on that list too :)

Perhaps you can use Coconut Bliss as a starting point:

Open Original Shared Link

Cheri A Contributor

Tamara,

I have an ice cream maker, and we love it. The favorites are Dari-Free Vanilla Ice Cream and Raspberry or Lemon Sorbet.

I don't know how big your maker is, but I double this recipe.

Raspberry Sorbet

1 cup water

1 cup sugar

1 cup frozen raspberries

1 tsp. lemon juice

Make simple syrup by heating the water and dissolving the sugar in it over medium heat. Let cool to room temperature.

Put simple syrup, frozen raspberries, and lemon juice into a blender and combine until mixed well.

Refrigerate for a few hours and then put into your ice cream maker.

Lemon Sorbet

Same as above, except omit raspberries and include 1 1/2 cups of lemon juice or 6 lemons.

HAK1031 Enthusiast

Can't help you with the ice cream, but as for popsicles, edy's fruit bars are just that- fruit bars. They are 100% fruit juice and delicious :) they might have a little bit of added sugar, but if they do, it's better than corn syrup anyway!

purple Community Regular

CREAMY GOOD COLD DELICIOUS YUMMY ! I just tried this and it can be altered as needed I am sure.

Raspberry Sherbet

1 3oz. pkg of raspberry jello (I used 1/2 of a 6oz. box)

1 cup boiling water

3 cups milk

1/2 cup sugar

1/4 cup Welch's white-grape-raspbery frozen concentrate 100 percent juice

1 cup frozen raspberries

Dissolve jello in boiling water, add milk, sugar, and juice. Stir until dissolved. Run the frozen berries through the ice crush mode on a blender. Stir berries into jello mixture. Freeze as directed in ice cream maker. Makes about 2 quarts. Think what you could try: orange jello/ orange juice/mandarin oranges, lemon jello/lemon juice or lemonade, chocolate pudding/chips/cocoa powder, orange pineapple juice/

orange jello/coconut, grape jello/grape juice, lime jello/limeade, peach jello/ fresh peaches or frozen etc. The ideas are endless. No eggs, no flour, sub the milk.

Be sure to use 100 percent frozen juice for the nutrition and flavor. Fruit can be optional or add more depending on what your taste and availability is. Have fun and enjoy!!!

purple Community Regular

FYI I tried the chocolate. I used to make chocolate fudgesicles for my day care kids years ago, so I thought why not make ice cream. While I had out the mess from the raspberry and a bucket full of ice, I tried a sample. Here is what I did: In bowl, I whisked 3 Tablespoons of Jell-o instant chocolate pudding with 1 T. of baking cocoa and 2 cups milk. I froze it in the ice cream maker. When it was done I sampled it but it wasn't chocolatey enough for me. So I stirred in 2 T more of cocoa and 3 T of mini m&m's and 4 knife fulls of peanut butter. YUMMY GOOD! Try it and adjust to your taste and sub the milk for whatever type you have. I think almond or coconut sound good even though I have never tried them. For puddingpops just make the recipe for pudding on the box but add up to another cup of milk and freeze in plastic popsicle containers. You can make banana or vanilla too. If you add mini choc chips they sink to the bottom and when you invert the pudding pop the chips will be on the top. Have fun experimenting, the mistakes will still taste good unlike some of the baked goodies.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

purple Community Regular

suggestion to add to my last post. the m&m's melt so I would try to freeze them first and add them after the ice cream gets hard or just use choc. chips.

purple Community Regular

Some Jello pudding has wheat in it, when I called Kraft, they said they would list it if it has wheat so double check. The jello and pudding is gluten and dairy frree unless listed on the box. Anyways I have some great ideas. Start with finding a Jello/pudding cookbook and a smoothie cookbook. Then try to freeze the recipes to see how they turn out. The Jello recipes will need boiling water as stated in a previous post and the book should list how to make popsicles. Add a box of Jello and the boiling water to the smoothie recipe if you think you need too. For some people you can add yogurt,whey, cream cheese or even 7up. I am thinking of trying vanilla pudding/frozen orange juice concentrate/ milk/canned pumpkin/cinnamon/and maybe some vanilla yogurt. Then after I mix it up, I will taste it to see what else it needs like sugar or honey, more milk, vanilla or nutmeg. Then freeze it in my ice cream maker. My husband tried the raspberry and the choc/ peanut butter. He really liked them both. (ME TOO)I am also going to try strawberry jello/fresh strawberries/milk/raspberry juice and stawberry protein powder(if its gluten-free). The possibilities are endless. Kids can choose their own concoctions. You can also make cookies out of the pudding mix. I made them before, so now I need to make them gluten-free. Here is the recipe for Pudding Cookies

1 sm box instant pudding

1 cup bisquick (change to a gluten-free flour mix)

1/4 cup oil

1 egg

Mix pudding mix and bisquick in a bowl. Stir in oil and egg. Mix together until it forms a ball. Roll dough into 1/2 inch balls. Place on baking sheet. Press thumb into middle and add a candy of your choice ( ex: chips, chocolate cut up, nuts, m&m's). Bake at 350 degrees for 5-8 minutes. (You may want to try parchment paper, a dab more oil and bake longer if needed). No dairy/gluten and kids love them. A peanut butter/ banana/choc. pudding/milk/ chocolate chunks frozen smoothie sounds good too. Thank you taweavmo3 for getting my mind going on this topic. I put my machine away last year thinking I didn't want to make homemade ice cream with all the fat in it anymore and now we all can make it with jello/pudding, and fruit,etc. You may not even need to add milk to the Jello recipe. Try frozen concentrate 100 percent juice as in the recipe and some diluted concentrate in place of the milk. Let me know what your favorite concoction is. I have frozen cranberries in my freezer, hmmm.........

gadgetgirl Newbie

I got a book called "Vice Cream" from A M A Z O N. It has also sorts of variations for non-dairy ice creams. The chocolate was awesome! And it only used a few ingredients: Raw cashews, maple syrup (I used agave), water, non-alcohol based vanilla extract, cocoa powder. The consistency was closer to soft-serve versus hand packed.

Delicious! Now that summer is coming, it is time to make another batch!

Archived